? servers

? players online

Separate Server Subforums

• Content Count:  5674

Given the state of the community; the lack of forum activity and how dead the servers are, I think we should separate the server subforums into their own sections, or at least Jailbreak, TTT, and MG. While the sidebars with the latest posts and threads are useful, I often come across threads by scrolling through the forum. Maybe that's an old habit given I used the forums before those sidebars, but I still think this could help even if marginally. For reference, I'm referring to this:

3eefb05cfcb0f4295673ef66d81bcd56.png

Separate out those three servers into their own sections so in case a TTT thread gets made or anything else in that section, it doesn't overlap anyone else like myself trying to call attention to threads about my server. This could also help people who aren't avid forum users see the section of the server they play easier.

• Like 2

This would also allow us to create subforums under our specific sections, such as a subforum dedicated to "Feedback Threads" for Jailbreak so all the ones I'm posting are easily accessible. There's also rule discussions, general questions about the server, you can even have a secondary "Events" subforum. This could potentially make it so that we can garner mini communities within the forum that only pay attention to that one section. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

Alternatively: move discussions to discord. Allows for better quicker flow of information and responses, especially now that there are threads where you can separate out information and discussions right in discord.  Eliminates need to restructure forums.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BoM said:

Alternatively: move discussions to discord. Allows for better quicker flow of information and responses, especially now that there are threads where you can separate out information and discussions right in discord.  Eliminates need to restructure forums.

I don't really know how any of this works, so I can't critique the idea or see any glaring issues with it. And I'm willing to learn how to do all of that in our Discord to use that, I only see potential benefits to it. However, the forums are still dead and I still think this idea could help not only remedy that, but also still promote even more discussion and involvement. Let's be real - there's much more benefit to making Jailbreak its own section than having "Team Fortress 2", "SCP", "Media Events", "SG Scrim League", "Steam-Gamers Raffle"... the list goes on. It'd still be a positive change regardless IMO.

Edited by Dominic

• Content Count:  2206

I agree with this, when the change was made because we were trying to branch out to different games it made sense to not have a whole section dedicated to just our CSGO servers. However with the refocus on CSGO, I think it would be beneficial to have separate sub forums and make those sections easier to see at a glance.

Edited by kabLe

• Content Count:  2503

I like the idea behind this and could potentially see it working.

This is the current layout of the servers (not including Escape since that server will disappear in a couple weeks anyways):

Servers
----> Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
----> ----> Jailbreak
----> ----> Trouble in Terrorist Town
----> ----> MiniGames
----> ----> Skill Surf
----> ----> Bhop
----> ----> Retakes
----> ----> Scrim

Here's what I thought up:

Servers
----> Jailbreak Server
----> ----> Server Rules & Info
----> ----> Map Suggestions/Removals
----> ----> Rules Discussion
----> Trouble in Terrorist Town Server
----> MiniGames Server
----> Skill Surf Server
----> Bhop Server
----> Retakes Server
----> Scrim League & Server
----> ----> Seasons
----> ----> Past SGSL

----> ----> ...anything else that needs to go here

Since we can have a game icon next to each server's forum section anyway, no need to have it under a "CSGO" umbrella imo.

With the number of servers we have, what I laid out above may seem like it's a little overkill, but even then I think it could work if we sit down and fine tune it.  Could come up with some ideas to smooth it out, if most people generally like the thought of it.  Like Dominic said, what if we did this for our most played servers?

In this layout, the link containing the name of the server would be for general discussion about the server, plugins, suggestions, issues, polls, etc.  The "Server Rules & Info" section would essentially contain what are currently the server's sticky threads, it's not so much for discussion, but important info about the server, all in one place.  The "Rules Discussion" area would be for discussions/questions/clarifications about the server rules, would be nice especially for a server like Jailbreak.  Then this is kind of an unusual idea, but what if we moved Map Suggestions/Removals into each individual server section with a layout like this?  Would that maybe encourage more discussion and keep people involved in the maps played on the server, since this layout would basically move everything for that server essentially in one place?  Would it be easier for AOs to keep everything related to their server in one section kind of like this?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2730

I also agree with this. I also thought it was weird when it all shoved into one section. @Revenga's layout looks good to me. I do wonder if we should merge the Surf and Bhop server section and just make it a movement server section, since those servers won't be our main focus moving forward, to clean up how things are shown at once. Maybe the Retakes and Scrim servers could be merged too in to something.

I also don't agree with the discord thought, mostly because the flow of conversations can move a little fast at times and it can be a little hard to keep up with a convo. Also if you aren't present when people are talking, it can hard to read though all the messages. Well at least it is for me.

• Content Count:  3150

6 hours ago, kabLe said:

I agree with this, when the change was made because we were trying to branch out to different games it made sense to not have a whole section dedicated to just our CSGO servers. However with the refocus on CSGO.

30 minutes ago, Valk said:

since those servers won't be our main focus moving forward

TIL

You guys should make some of this 'new direction' if you will a bit clearer to the general public. A decent amount of the recent changes go against the grain of things that were discussed at community wide meetings...with various promises made by what the community saw as the entire BD team. One or two BDs changing out shouldn't shift the whole direction without being a lot clearer and transparent with the community.

30 minutes ago, Valk said:

I also don't agree with the discord thought, mostly because the flow of conversations can move a little fast at times and it can be a little hard to keep up with a convo. Also if you aren't present when people are talking, it can hard to read though all the messages. Well at least it is for me.

Yeah slow brain. Also that is where you make threads for specific topics and just separate out the ideas some. Also we used to start ideas in discord for MKT and CA discussions and then summarize / SS / record convos and dump it into a thread to keep it going. You will still get a lot more discussion going if you embrace discord and utilize to talk to more of the community faster.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  169

7 hours ago, BoM said:

Exactly!!! With threads and new forum features being implemented into discord itself, why is there a need to revive the forums now. With a better flow of information, more shit can be done. The rearrangement of the server sub forums shouldn’t be a priority. Discord is the future 

29 minutes ago, Valk said:

since those servers won't be our main focus moving forward

Wait what? So the two SG servers that do get a steady 6-10 player base throughout the day will not be capitalized on? What is the main focus of SG right now if it isn’t these servers?

Please for the love of fuck don't devolve this thread into a discussion about the focus of the community, I just want Jailbreak in its own fucking section.

@Revenga

Great ideas, I love the layout. Yes, totally agree that map suggestions could go under the server section and that it'd encourage people to use it, be easier to keep track of, etc. Everything else looks great. I don't think it'll look too cluttered but if it does we should cut down elsewhere instead of compromising imo. 

• Like 2

Reply to Thread