? servers

? players online

What album(s) are you currently digging?

• Content Count:  3740

We have the ever-so-popular 'What are you listening to at the moment?', favorite songs, and favorite artist/band threads (even great artists can make shit records), but no one ever talks about what album they're currently digging. There are tons of great artists and songs out there, but I think albums are even more important because they embody the direction, ideas, creativity, risks, innovation, experimentation, and context of the situations (recording sessions, writing) that spawned them, regardless of the artist behind them.

Personally, I'm very passionate about the albums I listen to, so I'd like to share some albums that I'm currently digging and briefly elaborate on them, and it would be awesome if you guys did the same! So without further ado:

[video=youtube_share;GfbLWHT7vUU]

Sunbather is a metal album that features a plethora of genre influences from post rock/metal, blackgaze (black metal and shoegaze), screamo, and emo. I've been digging this album for a long time now, ever since it was first released nearly 5 years ago. Even after half-a-decade, I still find myself revisiting this record, primarily due to it's overwhelming passion and beauty. It still floors me how a loud rock/metal album can be so uplifting, light, and positive yet be so captivating, invigorating, and intense. The tight, high-energy, yet consistent compositions on this album keep me coming back for more, and that's why I'm still digging it to this day. Also, the drumming is fucking dope on this.

[video=youtube_share;XEMpI2PjNQ0]

Like Sunbather, Teethed Glory & Injury is a metal album dominated by blackgaze and post rock, but is much more atmospheric and also takes strong influences from industrial, electronic, drone, and ambient genres. This record, in my opinion, sounds like an evil cousin, parallel universe version of Sunbather based on how dark, depressing, and tortured it sounds in comparison despite the similarity in genres and the fact that both albums were released literally within weeks of each other. Sunbather's musical direction is more clear and it knows exactly what it is, but this album is a such a whirlwind of musical risks and experimentation that works so well in unison that the payoff in the listening experience is much higher. This makes it much harder to digest for new listeners, but once digested, it's extremely rewarding.

• Like 4
Edited by Wawa

• Content Count:  416

@Wawa glad you're a metalhead.

System of a Down - System of a Down.

I first played "War?" on bass for a show about 3 years ago and felt an adrenaline rush when I played, there was just so much energy flowing through the song and band. One and a half years pass and I find myself listening to System of a Down again. I listened to System of a Down 95% of the time for 8 months and can name any of their songs. This album is by far the best album by them, and I'm still waiting for their next album... hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJP_VVqzoiU

Slipknot - Slipknot.

I found Slipknot after System of a Down, and it was like nothing I've heard before. Their first album portrays pure anger through the vocals and raw audio, a mix I still have never heard from any other band. Every single song on this album is a personal favorite for me. Thank god there's a new album coming out next year, but The Grey Chapter (last album) wasn't very good and I'm pretty sure it will be their last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6tg0tFAyo

Megadeth - Rust in Peace.

Ah, the thrash genre. I've heard of most of the popular Metallica songs before but none of them ever really caught my attention (other than Master of Puppets). Megadeth takes thrash to a new level by creating more melodic riffs and they prove it on Rust in Peace. Everything on this album is just pure satisfaction for me. The Tornado of Souls solo by Marty Friedman really got me into this album; it still gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Megadeth > Metallica, Rust in Peace Nick Menza.

Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Animals as Leaders is the newest band I've been listening to, and their progressive metal/djent style has inspired me to become a better guitar player. This whole album features weird tapping from Tosin Abasi, interesting poly-rhythms from Matt Garstka, and great rhythm work from Javier Reyes. I can not explain to you the madness of this band, you just have to listen to them. You should especially check out their live performance of Physical Education if you enjoy this album.

PS: Basically everything that Meshuggah and Necrophagist put out is good, so if you like metal you should check them out too.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1438

I can't write as eloquently as you holy carp

I've already posted a couple of songs from this album, but here's another one:

[video=youtube_share;tvYsTD90hVk]

Johnny Craig has always been incredibly talented but Beautiful Death has probably became one of my favorite albums

He has a wonderful voice, the songs are so full of substance and I've found the album to be really helpful while I was going through a rough patch

Definitely worth a listen if you liked johnny Craig's old work or old emarosa or if you like the softer side of post hardcore :)

Ill update this with another album in the mornin

• Content Count:  1719

I'm digging a local band, Me and the Julios', new album named "Så vi løper om kamp" ("So we're running agaisnt eachother")

https://open.spotify.com/album/62ewdEfrsGWkFQG5zsxiln?si=xDqEjbqXRVKKvY0WSMYheQ

It's quite a small band, and the album dropped literally the other day so only a couple of the singles have videos and are avalable outside of spotify.

[video=youtube;Q2EU-tov4rI]

It is the bands first full album, only having tons of singles up until now. The album is filled with contrast, build-ups, awesome melodic changes and very relevant themes. It's all in Norwegian and made by people who formerly went to my school. I'd recommend giving it a listen and looking up translated lyrics. It's really good though it may be a bit of a stretch for Americans.

• Content Count:  416

Hi, I'm back.

Within the Ruins - Phenomena

God, I'm listening to this album/band for the first time and it's amazing. I first heard Enigma (on this album) and just had to look more into the band. I'm loving the djent technical deathcore sound and apparently every single track uses a different theme song from movies/games/etc. (need to look into this more). Enigma uses the Super Mario Bros. theme song and it's just fucking sick! Maybe this will be a new favorite band for me, I'm sure the album will be.

• Content Count:  2579

Thank god SG is full of variety, the music thread was getting depressing at times.

I'm currently digging Choc'n'Cheese from Ween. The album is full of fucked shit, great tunes and more fucked shit. Insane musical genius at moments, I keep getting impressed at the variety of the album itself. Worth a listen for anybody who's very open to many genre.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread