blackwolf0005

Opinions on the Two-Party System and Electoral College.

Personally, I feel like the two-party system is just plain bad, as in the last eight years, we’ve been getting progressively worse candidates from both parties. Plus, and I may be wrong, but I feel like whoever gets elected ends up just being a puppet for their party, and don’t really make their own decisions; that shouldn’t be happening, otherwise we’d be voting in entire parties themselves. Opening up the elections to smaller parties with different views than what we currently have with the Democrats and Republicans would be very nice for the current state of politics, as it’s just one senile motherfucker against another in the ongoing election.

The electoral college is a lot more controversial. The popular vote can mean nothing in some cases, which is what happened to Al Gore when he was going up against Obama. Discarding the majority seems very stupid in an election, and this isn’t the only case in which the electoral college overruled the popular vote. While I understand that it’s meant to give smaller states more representation by setting a minimum of 3 electoral votes, this is destroying the concept of equal representation. Let me know what you guys think about both of these voting concepts, but I just consider them to suck.

The reason that the US still keeps the Electoral College is that the United States isn't simply ran by one monolithic government and instead is a unity of 50 smaller states each with their own laws and interests. Without a system like the Electoral College, a few population dense states could easily elect leaders who are beneficial to them, while totally cutting out the smaller states who have a right for their voices to be heard. 

The electoral college is necessary to ensure the minority has their interests represented in our government.

I can understand why people don't see it as "fair", but I think it would be in the best interest of this country to keep it so the minority is not neglected.

Edited by Kieran

28 minutes ago, Kieran said:

The electoral college is necessary to ensure the minority has their interests represented in our government.

I can understand why people don't see it as "fair", but I think it would be in the best interest of this country to keep it so the minority is not neglected.

?? The electoral college was literally put in place to keep "uneducated folk" (aka poor people and minorities after they got the right) from skewing elections 

I'm going to try and stay out of this thread but 2 party politics is clearly not working.

16 minutes ago, idealist said:

?? The electoral college was literally put in place to keep "uneducated folk" (aka poor people and minorities after they got the right) from skewing elections 

Maybe that is why it was introduced, haven't looked into it. I still support an electoral college as I believe a true democracy will always result in a totally neglected minority.

I agree with your statement on 2 party politics. It's hurting our progress in this country.

Edited by Kieran

Yep, there ain't really anything that we can do about it because the two parties in particular have so much power over everything that any other parties are always overshadowed. That is why news coverage rarely ever talks about the Green Party or the Libertarian Party.

It's sad because a lot of Americans' interests align outside of the platforms of the two parties, but they feel obligated to support one or the other because they feel their vote is invalidated otherwise.

The two-party system is terrible, even the founding fathers thought so.

John Adams said "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."

Literally saying that a 2 party system would tear the country apart.

Assuming that we all agree on the two-party system being a big dick sucker, let’s get to the other topic: What do you all think of the electoral college?

The two party system is dumb for several reasons. The main one that presents itself (to me) is that either side pushes the agenda of what should be placed into law based upon what that party's typical associated views point to. While there are certain undeniable and basic rights that present themselves in the Constitution (and other legal text), there are a lot of things that may just be a viewpoint - and should be left at that. What I mean by that is: while we may have different opinions of something that falls outside of a basic right, the question isn't which opinion is right and which is wrong - it's 'Should the Government be given the ability to force this - one way or the other?' 

To me, the majority of the time, that answer is simply 'no'. For example, the government should never have even had the ability to block gay marriages, because a 'marriage license' is a fucking ridiculous concept to begin with. If you need official documentation for tax purposes, that's fine, but getting approval on that should be as basic as making sure it's two living people that don't violate one of the basic laws referred to above (pedophilia, incest, etc.) that no matter where we fall politically, can all agree socially it is not okay. I can go on and on with examples - abortion, guns, selling lemonade on the street corner without a business license, etc., but at the end of the day I feel like the concept put in place by the founding fathers was lost in that aspect.

Additionally, the electoral college is dumb in the aspect of them not even having to vote for the popular vote in their state respectively lol. Sure, they can be fined, but states lack the constitutional authority to remove an electoral college voter who sways against the popular majority. TLDR: yes, the vast majority of the time the popular vote in the state will win those electoral votes (save for the few that have it actually built in to split votes), but they can still vote the exact opposite way, rendering your vote even more useless. It is a pledge violation and they can face fines, but that does not mean their vote gets removed. 

12 minutes ago, AnthonySpiff said:

Ежели предстоят работы для высоте, важно подобрать надежную опору. Возьмем, бедствовать выполнить отделку фасада или отреставрировать памятник архитектуры, поднимаясь для 7 – 10 метров. Обычная лестница в этом случае не подойдет, а вот вышки туры будут оптимальным вариантом. Почему? Перечислим основные преимущества.

Удобный монтаж – собрать вышку туру приблизительно силу одному человеку, в отличие от сборки строительных лесов – для это уйдет не более 20 минут.
Надежность конструкции – опорная аргумент с диагональной планкой придает вышке устойчивость, а у высоких моделей в приращение предусмотрены угловые упоры.
Удобство и безопасность работ – для рабочей площадке баста места не только чтобы рабочего, совершенно и чтобы строительных материалов, ведер, инструмента. Боковые ограждения помогают предотвратить опасность с высоты.
Мобильность – вышки туры имеют колеса ради перемещения сообразно рабочей площадке, аристократия их легко передвигать, не разбирая.
А беспричинно же предлагаем ознакомится: 

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Edited by gween