? servers

? players online

RAM Upgrade questions

• Content Count:  3052

Heyo,

My aunt just got an HP from someone and I want to upgrade the 1x 4GB stick of RAM to 8GB of RAM. 

Here is the Spec list of the model, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02999007

Memory part:

Memory type:
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) UDIMM memory
Maximum memory:
8GB
Expansion slots:
Two DIMM slots
Standard configurations:
1GB (1 x 1GB)
2GB (1 x 2GB)
3GB (1 x 1GB + 1 x 2GB)
4GB (1 x 4GB)
4GB (2 x 2GB)
5GB (1 x 4GB + 1 x 1GB)
6GB (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB)
8GB (2 x 4GB)

The physical stick of RAM currently in the PC is a 1x 4GB stick HMT351U6CFR8C-PB, and according to this spec sheet on this stick https://www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do?pronm=DDR3+SDRAM&srnm=HMT351U6CFR8C&rk=20&rc=module It runs at 1600, not 1333

Does this mean the computer will limit the RAM to 1333?

Then, if I am looking to buy another stick, what exactly do I need to look for? Ideally, cheaper the better, so if I can find a compatible 1x 4GB stick that would be ideal.

Would any 1333 DDR3 or 1600 DDR3 with CAS of 11 work?

Edited by Labarr

• Content Count:  2941

Does this mean the computer will limit the RAM to 1333?

Yes. The motherboard will underclock the RAM if it is higher than it supports.

Then, if I am looking to buy another stick, what exactly do I need to look for?

You would just need to look for a DDR3 UDIMM that is 4GB.

Would any 1333 DDR3 or 1600 DDR3 with CAS of 11 work?

Yes.

Edited by shoiep

• Content Count:  2206

The motherboard documentation is generally what you would refer to for acceptable speeds. If the computer is currently running one stick at 1600 mhz with no issues then you should be fine getting another stick at the same speed. I can't find the motherboard model in the documentation for that specific model though. That's very odd that the HP documentation shows it only can use 1333 mhz while the installed stick shows its a 1600 mhz model. I would check bios to see what it's actually running at. 

I would say try this. If the 1600 mhz stick works then it is most likely being underclocked anyway. Seems like its cheaper to pick up the same one and let it under clock it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-PC3-12800-1600MHz-Unbuffered-HMT351U6CFR8C-PB/dp/B00A8M768E

Edit: 2late

Edited by kabLe

• Content Count:  3052

4 minutes ago, kabLe said:

The motherboard documentation is generally what you would refer to for acceptable speeds. If the computer is currently running one stick at 1600 mhz with no issues then you should be fine getting another stick at the same speed. I can't find the motherboard model in the documentation for that specific model though. That's very odd that the HP documentation shows it only can use 1333 mhz while the installed stick shows its a 1600 mhz model. I would check bios to see what it's actually running at. 

I would say try this. If the 1600 mhz stick works then it is most likely being underclocked anyway. Seems like its cheaper to pick up the same one and let it under clock it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-PC3-12800-1600MHz-Unbuffered-HMT351U6CFR8C-PB/dp/B00A8M768E

Edit: 2late

Yea thanks, I did go ahead and already ordered that one, the BIOS doesn't tell me jack shit (thanks HP) but I am fine with trying out this RAM and going from there 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2206

2 minutes ago, Labarr said:

Yea thanks, I did go ahead and already ordered that one, the BIOS doesn't tell me jack shit (thanks HP) but I am fine with trying out this RAM and going from there 

Hewlett-Packard...more like Huge Piece of junk. Good luck hope it works out!

Reply to Thread