? servers

? players online

RAM suggestions?

• Content Count:  1920

I'm looking to buy additional RAM for my computer because not only does the RAM that came with my computer suck, it would be nice to have 32GB of RAM. 

I'm looking to keep my budget $80- but will go a tiny bit above if it's worth it. Ideally would like non-RGB LED RAM. I don't care about "oooh pretty colors", I just want something that is reliable and fast. Any help is appreciated.

• Content Count:  2694

9 minutes ago, phoenix_ said:

According to HP, I have the Thimphu-K Motherboard. Specs can be found here.

So it seems like the max RAM speed you can run is 2133MHz but then after doing some research, some guy said his came with 2666 MHz RAM and that the specs on the website are wrong :thinking:

Can you check the current speed of your RAM to see what it's running at? It's kind of hard to find anything on this motherboard regarding RAM besides the actual specs website. In the case that the max speed you can run is 2133 MHz, you should probably look into upgrading your motherboard. Would be pointless to buy 2133 MHz RAM if you want to upgrade your motherboard in the future. If you do want to buy more RAM, here is a good set that fits your budget.

• Content Count:  1920

19 minutes ago, John said:

So it seems like the max RAM speed you can run is 2133MHz but then after doing some research, some guy said his came with 2666 MHz RAM and that the specs on the website are wrong :thinking:

Can you check the current speed of your RAM to see what it's running at? It's kind of hard to find anything on this motherboard regarding RAM besides the actual specs website. In the case that the max speed you can run is 2133 MHz, you should probably look into upgrading your motherboard. Would be pointless to buy 2133 MHz RAM if you want to upgrade your motherboard in the future. If you do want to buy more RAM, here is a good set that fits your budget.

I'm assuming the guy who is running it at 2666 MHz is overclocking it and will fry his computer sooner rather than later. According to my computer, it runs at 2133MHz. I was looking to get RAM that runs faster than this because I intend on upgrading my motherboard probably within 12-18 months. I actually bought a single stick of the RAM you've recommended but then forgot that RAM needs to be dual channeled (like the dumbass I am), so I returned it and am now looking for a pair. I'll probably end up buying those again because they're affordable and seem to be recommended by nearly every place I look. 

Edit: When it says the max speed I can run is 2133MHz, does that mean any RAM that is faster than that is incompatible with my motherboard? Or will the motherboard just cap out the RAM at 2133MHz while it's being used?

Edited by phoenix_

• Content Count:  2694

4 minutes ago, phoenix_ said:

I'm assuming the guy who is running it at 2666 MHz is overclocking it and will fry his computer sooner rather than later. According to my computer, it runs at 2133MHz. I was looking to get RAM that runs faster than this because I intend on upgrading my motherboard probably within 12-18 months. I actually bought a single stick of the RAM you've recommended but then forgot that RAM needs to be dual channeled (like the dumbass I am), so I returned it and am now looking for a pair. I'll probably end up buying those again because they're affordable and seem to be recommended by nearly every place I look. 

Edit: When it says the max speed I can run is 2133MHz, does that mean any RAM that is faster than that is incompatible with my motherboard? Or will the motherboard just cap out the RAM at 2133MHz while it's being used?

Your motherboard will cap out at 2133 MHz. I'm pretty sure you can get RAM that is 3600 MHz (for example) and run it at 2133 MHz but I don't know how your BIOS works. You should be able to change the speed in it.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2579

so i scavenged a little when my shit burned down and i managed to retrieve my brother's ram from his crisped desktop. it still fucking works like a charm, highly recommend it! cheap and v effective. unfortunately i can't use it anymore cause an idiot gifted me a new computer, but i still have it laying around. heres the serial if u wanna order some

spacer.png

• Like 10

Reply to Thread