? servers

? players online

2021- Fresh, Clean

• Content Count:  1920

Hello everyone. I am using this thread to track my own personal progress on my resolution this year and encourage people to join in this if they are looking for a better way to get healthy this new year.

For the last 3-ish months, I have been unable to go to the gym due to COVID related restrictions and my job taking up time that I would usually use for the gym. In conjunction with this, I began stress eating without even realizing it just because I've been going through a rather stressful situation at home the last few months. Because of this, I've gotten to a weight I am unhappy with and want to eat clean and work out again to get to a state where I am happy with my own self.

I currently weigh 194.2 lbs/ 88kg, and my goal weight is 178 lbs / 80.7kg. I intend to get to this goal through following gluten-free paleo (modified version of paleo) and doing lots of cardio and light lifting to focus on sculpting the muscle I have, and improving my cardiovascular stamina. 

I hope everyone here finds a way to work on themselves whether it be mentally or physically.

------------

Now the part I want to share to encourage others. What is Gluten-Free Paleo?

Gluten-free paleo is a modified version of the paleo diet ("Caveman Diet") which allows for gluten-free grains in addition to the foods typically allowed on the paleo diet. I'll skip the extra stuff and just tell you what foods to avoid and what foods to eat.

Foods to AVOID: 

Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup: Soft drinks, fruit juices, table sugar, candy, pastries, ice cream, etc. (Natural sugars found in fruits and stuff like honey is okay)

Grains with Gluten: Bread, pasta, wheat, spelt, rye, barley, etc.

Legumes: Beans, lentils, etc.

Most Dairy: Low fat milks, low fat/soft cheese, low fat yogurt, butter, etc.

Some vegetable oils: Soybean oil, sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, corn oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, etc.

Trans fats: Found in margarine and various processed foods. Usually referred to as “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.

Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame, sucralose, cyclamates, saccharin, acesulfame potassium. (If you want to find alternatives to sugar I recommend stuff like honey and stevia)

Processed Foods: Anything with "diet" or "low-fat" is processed. If the food looks like it was made in some factory, don't go for it. Your best bet is in natural and organic foods. I understand this can get pricy though.

Foods to EAT: 

Meat: Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey (Pork is also an option, but I'm personally allergic to pork, so I avoid it)

Fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc.

Eggs:  Look for free-range eggs. Eggs are generally fine, but free-range is best.,

Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc. (Generally speaking, vegetables are fine but I personally like to avoid GMOs)

Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, etc. (Same principal of vegetables, most are fine, but avoid GMOs)

Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc. (I personally abstain from potatoes, but baking a potato or sweet potato with some spices is always a good bet)

Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Healthy fats and oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and others.

Salt and spices: Sea salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary, etc.

Gluten-Free Grains:  Rice, corn, oats, and quinoa. (For rice, brown rice is best, but white rice is acceptable)

Edit: Typically the only things you want to drink are water, coffee (preferably black), and hot tea

I hope this was able to help someone else, and I will be posting progress every so often to keep anyone interested updated on my resolution and goal.

• Like 16
Edited by phoenix_
forgot drinks

Figured I would give an update roughly a month in. Overall, I'm down to ~187lbs. Not really where I wanted to be, but slow progress is better than no progress. 

The paleo diet has pretty much failed. But, generally speaking I have been eating healthier and just making smart food choices. The regulations at the gyms now are pretty obscene so most of my exercise has been teaching and learning martial arts at my job, which is surprisingly been keeping me in at least decent shape. Doing 3, 5 minute sparring rounds does more than it would seem. I'm not too upset about failing the whole paleo thing since once I move back to campus in T-minus 2 days it'll be nearly impossible to maintain that on dining hall food.

I hope everyone has been making at least some progress on their resolutions and everyone has had a generally more positive and healthy first month of 2021. Prayers for you guys.

• Like 10

Yeah, wow.

This year has been a really interesting one. I was actually on pretty good track as far as my eating and exercise habits were concerned until I injured my knee in May.

I have been back in the gym for about two weeks now, and dieting along side that. Currently I weigh 202 pounds, and my goal is 185. I hope anyone else into fitness is having good luck on their personal goals. I've definitely been doing my best to eat well and drink mainly water. 

• Like 6

Reply to Thread