? servers

? players online

Admin App Voting Change

• Content Count:  1030

I think that this change is interesting, and I'd like to see how admin applications change and move forward from this point. While I do think that a lot of regulars do have good opinions, and unfortunately they won't be able to voice those opinions on applications anymore, it's always been the same: opinions and input from higher-up staff members always hold more weight. Back when I applied for admin and got it in April of last year, I had something along the lines of 20 supports from regulars. I'd ask around for my chances and people would still say that my application was iffy because I didn't have too much support from any administrators or higher-ups (CA+).

There is some valid point to the argument that CAs and SMs probably don't have the same level of playtime as regulars, or even server administrators, but I think that an important point to be made is that although forum activity isn't really required, integrating oneself into the community is. You're not going to be able to get into a staff rank if nobody knows who you are. Integrating yourself into the community is a very broad idea, and can be done through the forums, can be done through the Discord, or on the servers themselves. When you put yourself out there and meet new people, it can be seen what kind of person you are and if you have the necessary traits/skills or whatever to hold a staff position.

Another point is that probably half of the regulars and even some of the staff, including server administrators themselves, have no clue how to vote on applications. John's post above with all of the quotes is a perfect representation of this. Yes, this does mean that the few regulars and lower staff who do put effort and time into their votes and think about what they're going to say won't be able to do so anymore, but I think that overall this is a step in the right direction.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  275

Have to agree with the BDs decision on this one admin apps recently have been a bit iffy. This should keep them more serious. Like Gator and John have said it's not like no research is done before accepting an admin app if they have concerns they will make it know. But I do agree with opening it up to more than just SMs and CAs. Even if you just add SAs you have more people that closely interact with the applicants in the servers.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  562

9 minutes ago, Gator said:

This is a great example of making a judgement without the facts. We're not just changing who can vote and calling it a day. We're well aware of how many CA+ vote and how much they play/what servers they play. We've communicated our expectations to the CA+.

if communicated expectations are not met then will they be enforced seeing SG's recent activity of not doing anything about inactive CA+'s I expect it wont be. Ill be ready for 2 replies on my admin application but now that I've pissed off the cock sucking pussies that only look up to you for a future position I guess that I should expect some reapplies from people that haven't played a game with me once

• Like 1

• Content Count:  540

Honestly doesn’t sound that bad at all. Personally I always liked how it used to be private with SA+. Either way I think it’s a good step into the future of SG. I know I have not put too much effort into my replies to admin apps so my fault. Shit like this happens when we don’t follow protocol. Got my support 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  6759

31 minutes ago, dolo said:

seeing SG's recent activity of not doing anything about inactive CA+'s I expect it wont be

Too bad you're too ignorant to know we keep tabs of activity of all admin ranks across SG. CAs & SMs are not as inactive as you might think they are or will be. Some are excused for irl shit because things take priority over a gaming community rank, but doesn't mean they're doing fuck all in SG just because some of their activity has dipped. 

• Like 28

• Content Count:  1920

50 minutes ago, Gator said:

While I expected some people to be unhappy, I wasn't expecting so many, so I should have mentioned in the OP that this is the first step towards some further changes that are still be discussed. As those changes are finalized and pushed out, it'll be clear why we've decided to move towards this voting system.

Well, after the replies from John and yourself it's clear that this change is more understandable. Not that applying for admin really has any effect on me anymore, but I guess when I was looking at it from my perspective this change didn't make much sense. To be fair, there are CA+ who interact with applicants outside of the game servers on Discord and the forums and can probably give some sort of input. 

I don't fully agree with this change still (not that it really matters, lol), but I'm excited to see what's coming in the future. 

• Like 11

• Content Count:  1030

1 hour ago, dolo said:

if communicated expectations are not met then will they be enforced seeing SG's recent activity of not doing anything about inactive CA+'s I expect it wont be. Ill be ready for 2 replies on my admin application but now that I've pissed off the cock sucking pussies that only look up to you for a future position I guess that I should expect some reapplies from people that haven't played a game with me once

Yikes.

Considering that all of your skin names on the servers are "Dolo 4 Admin" and every time I check the forums I see you talking about applying for admin, it's quite funny to me to see how in one message you've pretty much lost everyone's respect. 

Touching upon the baseless accusation that SG has a recent activity of "not doing anything about inactive CA+'s", I remember distinctly back when I was CA and Kieran and Gentoo were the LAs, we were explicitly told that there would be changes and activity would be of importance to retaining our positions. Now that was all the way back in early July I believe, but I know the current LAs pretty well (at least I would believe I do), and @Maniacis my homie. I don't doubt that all of them have been or are currently are able to manage a team properly and if you're going to use this as a springboard to lash out against how you think SG should be run, and flaws you see in particular team structures, the least that you could do is provide some accompanying evidence.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  971

Initially, I completely disagreed, but I think this makes sense considering regulars never had a say in who get's accepted anyway.

On the other hand, higher-ups aren't nearly as active as regulars (which is fine), but don't get the chance to interact with as many people as other regulars do.

I'd recommend using some sort of separation between responses of regulars and responses and opinions of the people that make the decisions, rather than just barricading regulars off entirely.

All in all, fair change.

• Like 3

Reply to Thread