? servers

? players online

GIFs in #general

• Content Count:  1009

If you've been here long enough, you know that this used to be allowed regardless of your rank, even images were allowed at a certain point. Currently, I don't see why this isn't allowed, as it really could make the SG discord experience a bit more enjoyable.

The current arguments I could list of the top of my head are: Gifs could lead to a flooding of general, which can ruin a conversation between people.

Let's be honest with ourselves, an actual important conversation going on in general is once in a blue moon. If anything it's william posting stupid stuff and people reacting.

Just post it in random, that's what it's for anyway.
Sure, hypothetically you could just post the gif you want in random, but no one is going to transfer their conversation over to random for people wanting to post a gif, and sometimes a GIF can portray thoughts better than words.

People spamming the same gifs over and over as a joke

This is something that can easily be moderated, as you should still be liable to things you post, especially in Discord. There are some times where people post some borderline gifs that are debatably against the rules, but a couple of people trolling should not ruin the experience for everyone. 

I think giving this another shot would be nice, and debating on what actually happens and how people behave, this can be reversed.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  922

5 hours ago, Poke said:

Currently, I don't see why this isn't allowed, as it really could make the SG discord experience a bit more enjoyable.

People spamming the same gifs over and over as a joke

This is something that can easily be moderated, as you should still be liable to things you post, especially in Discord. There are some times where people post some borderline gifs that are debatably against the rules, but a couple of people trolling should not ruin the experience for everyone. 

Not sure if you remember what just happened couple days ago in random, but moderating a cest pool like that is why it is set for the random channel for the time being.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Polarzz said:

Not sure if you remember what just happened couple days ago in random, but moderating a cest pool like that is why it is set for the random channel for the time being.

To be completely honest, I posted this thread before seeing what BoM posted, but I still stand by all my original points. Some idiots who post "post sexual, graphic, or otherwise ill-natured images/gifs/videos" shouldn't ruin it for everyone else, hence why it was decided to mute them instead of deleting random as a whole. Which I felt like should of been the same approach for gifs.

As for the moderation of a cest pool, you have really active CAs without deletion perms, as it stands right now all they can do is mute. Which only solves half of the problem if a rule-breaking image gets posted.

• Like 1
Edited by Poke

9 hours ago, The Real Slim Jim said:

Seems like a troubled idea to me, sg discord can already be very homie-sexual and i think this would just add to it.

You're going to have to go into more detail other than describe it as homie-sexual.

Edited by Poke

• Content Count:  3294

I don't often use gifs, but maybe that's why I'm indifferent/more leaning to not allowing them in the general chat. I've only ever seen them used for shitposting and disrupting the chat, so even though you dispute those claims it's not super beneficial that your counter is "Well a CA+ can contact an IAO and have it removed". Moderation is already scuffed enough on Discord since there's no official Discord Team, so I don't see another reason to add to that chaos. I get the point that people like images and shit, so maybe we can add that permission to Supporters. 

• Like 1
Edited by TheZZL

5 hours ago, TheZZL said:

Well a CA+ can contact an IAO and have it removed

I've gone ahead and talked with some higher ups and what they think about CA's having permission to delete messages and whatnot. I've decided to stick with the fact that IAs should be left to moderate, as it would be way easier for them to keep track of what goes on. As they also have a better jurisdiction of what goes and what doesn't.

Moderation is already scuffed enough on Discord since there's no Discord Team

How is it scuffed? Discord is probably one of the best platforms with it's ability to moderate, in fact, one of the reasons we switched over from TeamSpeak was because moderation was way easier. 

If you're talking about having to use Dyno then that's a different story.

there's no official Discord Team

But there is a team, as said above it's the IAs. It may not be an actual rank or listed in their responsibilities, but it's also one of their responsibilities to moderate, as they also have the power to give a punishment more than a mute if necessary. 

Reply to Thread