? servers

? players online

WHY IS THERE BARELY ANYONE ON MOST OF THE TIME

• Content Count:  634

On 2/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, MajorK said:

Why is anyone barely on JB

I think it has something to do with alot of the quality staff we've had in the past having slight mental breaks leading to them being demoted or removed from the community. I think that's lead to us losing the parts of the server we loved and struggling to find the same joy in the newer players, leading to even more player loss.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1161

47 minutes ago, The Real Slim Jim said:

I think it has something to do with alot of the quality staff we've had in the past having slight mental breaks leading to them being demoted or removed from the community. I think that's lead to us losing the parts of the server we loved and struggling to find the same joy in the newer players, leading to even more player loss.

just wait until summer bro trust me

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2206

On 2/8/2022 at 4:34 PM, Andrew said:

I’m not a server manager or anything but I think that the servers being dead is more than just school being back in session.  It’s 4pm est rn and the rust server has more pop than JB.

2022-02-08_2.png

I think the main issue is lack of innovation and change on servers. I'll use JB as an example (not to call anyone out im just not going through 13 servers changelog).

Starting on page 8, the first post is from 12/4/20. Just a small update that addresses updating one plugin and resetting ranks. Nothing innovative here. Not bad though 2020 was a good year. No cause for concern.

12/7/20:

Removed old versions of a map with newer ones, changed the writing of a rule. Nothing gameplay changing here. Again no problem, server was doing its thing at this point.

12/15/20:

Removed some maps and models and updated server to reflect winter season. Pretty standard change here, nothing crazy.

12/16/20:

Updated plugin/bug fixing. General Maintenance.

12/25/20:

Updated map, expanded definition of spamming. General maintenance to keep up with the times and address new forms of spam.

1/3/21:

-Admitted QOL update. Nothing crazy changed here but if you take a microscope, I'm guessing pop was declining a bit, an idea was brought up to lower the amount of people that need to be on the server before activating a plugin that requires X amount of time played on the server before playing CT. This is concerning because if population was holding strong, why would you need to make this change? Seems like a small meaningless change, but the brush strokes are hitting the page. 

-Updated a rule regarding the use of FO

1/4/21:

-Added rule that players automatically muted by valve can't join CT. Makes logistical sense. Not much to explain here and shows no indication of issue with population.

Removed christmas related plugins.

1/30/21:

-alphabetized nomination list

-readded hdr version of a previously removed map

All general maintenance, no real changes made so far. All good at this point.

2/3/21:

-added a map

- Added Guard Queue/Prisoner queue plugin (quality of life change, nothing super impactful)

-added plugin to mitigate random disconnects (general maintenance)

-added a model for admins

-removed xmas related models from store

This seems to be from the outside looking in, the meatiest change since 12/4/20 but still nothing game changing. Downward trend I assume at this point is still on going

2/9/21:

-fixed bug in new guard queue plugin (general maintenance)

- added commands for guard queue into in-game menu? (not sure what they mean by this, they added the plugin but forgot to implement the rest of the commands in the menu for a week? I'm not sure but doesn't look like someone on top of their game objectively. we all have lives and thinks fly under the radar. No problem)

-added next map advert (i thought the nextmap command has been a thing for like 15 years?) General maintenance

- removed some guns that were viewed as op from a specific map

2/14/21:

- added plugin that will auto unmute player who are auto muted by valve (QOL update, stupid thing for valve to put into community servers)

-remove rule saying auto muted players can't join ct due to implementation of the above.

- fixed map bug and readded a map

2/18/21:

boils down to bug fixing things previously added ( general maintenance, fix whats broken)

2/27/21:

-add chat filter for no no words

-"map balancing"

3/18/21:

- added new map

- can now stop flashlight from being auto bound to inspect

- changed guard queue ratio from 1/2 to 1/1.5 (presumably at this point meta was leaning towards OP t side? also could be at this point current active population couldn't sustain true 1:2 ratio without making it OP for T's. Not sure what change this affects as how can you have 1 and a half ts for every one ct. Maybe im reading it wrong.)

4/15/21:

-Raised server slots to 46 ( bold strategy cotton lets see how it plays out for them)

-brought in a warm up round on map change to address some users potatos not loading fast enough to make it in for the first round

- changed guard queue command aliase

- added 2 maps

4/16/21:

-new guard queue too buggy and was removed in favor of the older more stable ratio control plugin

-star wars event live

4/23/21:

- change to health boost ( im not familiar with this as it is after my time so i will refrain from commenting on how it could affect gameplay. I personally think it just increases survivability for Ts/CTs. Not a crazy game changing idea but novel and worth putting in.

-map fixing

5/9/21:

-novelty buddy system for elite supporters added

-removed 2 maps

-removed !fk in favor of !calladmin

-stars event over

6/12/21:

-removed several maps

-increased buyable health shots

-reduced how much health each shot gives

-reduced map exlusion rate

7/12/21:

-removed extended round times excluding several listed maps

-new round end screens reflective of whichever side wins

7/27/21:

-decreased the required amount of votes to vote mute someone from 30-25(i'd ask why was this necessary? Maybe cause you couldn't get 30 people in the server at one time and admins stopped frequenting the server as often to help with spammers?)

- increased how long the vote went on for vote muting from 15-25 seconds

-changed default starting map to electric ( i thought this was the meta for a JB server since like 2009?)

- cchanged team names to guard and prisoners

7/28/21:

-decreased all times needed on ct to go through the ranks

8/22/21:

- new models

-readded previously removed map

-changed default map to vipinthemix

10/17/21:

-added halloween versions of electric and summer jail

-removed some models/skins from store

-removed ability to drop grenades

-removed lego

12/7/21:

-enabled second "first order"

-updated neon map with newer version

-decreased required amount of players to enable first order from 30-25 (presumably because population was too low to even need first order)

-decreased required amount of players to initiate the !tmute command from 25-20 (things are starting to become telling here)

-increased the number of times tmute can be used from 2 to 3

-increased time of tmute to 30 seconds

2/5/22:

-added newly updated last request plugin (probably the biggest change on this list in my opinion, but at the end of the day still just an update to an already added plugin expanding on previously added features while also adding some new ones, not game play changing)

That's it my man. From page 8-9 almost 2 years worth of changelog and nothing of innovative substance. More just general maintenance. I think more innovative ideas need to be pushed and implemented. Look at a warden for instance, for years it was "we don't want to add a warden because not having one is what makes us unique and keeps players coming" They aint coming no more chief. We are no longer leaders, its time to rebuild and do what the successful servers are doing. What other JB server is thriving and doesn't have a warden system? I don't mean to point fingers at anyone here, but when you really look at the direction of the server, honestly, i don't see how its much different than when I was in staff almost 3 years ago. Some new QOL features and updated plugins of past one's. Nothing has really changed from an outside perspective that would alter the current course. You were handed a tough gig as community servers are dying out and pop was declining, doing those little changes requires a lot more effort then most people think which contributes towards eventual burn out(happens to everyone if you say you wouldn't get burned out, lel)

Again, I don't mean to insult anyone's work on the server. I'm confident you have had countless discussions about where to go with it and have put hours and hours of effort into those changes but I'm going to say something that might hurt some feelings.

At the end of the day, if you spend hours upon hours trying to fix a bug that has no real impact on gameplay and is a slight annoyance, it doesn't really matter. Ask anyone on the Board right now and I will guarantee you they have more than a few stories about certain things they've worked on here that they stayed up late/worked tirelessly on to implement that had no real impact on their server or the community. It happens and is part of the gig. Time to start thinking about altering the core structure of your server because at the moment, your core structure isn't attracting anyone and pretending it's just the time of the year isn't going to help anyone and you should probably just step down and let someone who's gungho get their chance to shine.

Respectfully. 

• Like 7
Edited by kabLe

• Content Count:  819

10 minutes ago, kabLe said:

I think the main issue is lack of innovation and change on servers. I'll use JB as an example (not to call anyone out im just not going through 13 servers changelog).

Starting on page 8, the first post is from 12/4/20. Just a small update that addresses updating one plugin and resetting ranks. Nothing innovative here. Not bad though 2020 was a good year. No cause for concern.

12/7/20:

Removed old versions of a map with newer ones, changed the writing of a rule. Nothing gameplay changing here. Again no problem, server was doing its thing at this point.

12/15/20:

Removed some maps and models and updated server to reflect winter season. Pretty standard change here, nothing crazy.

12/16/20:

Updated plugin/bug fixing. General Maintenance.

12/25/20:

Updated map, expanded definition of spamming. General maintenance to keep up with the times and address new forms of spam.

1/3/21:

-Admitted QOL update. Nothing crazy changed here but if you take a microscope, I'm guessing pop was declining a bit, an idea was brought up to lower the amount of people that need to be on the server before activating a plugin that requires X amount of time played on the server before playing CT. This is concerning because if population was holding strong, why would you need to make this change? Seems like a small meaningless change, but the brush strokes are hitting the page. 

-Updated a rule regarding the use of FO

1/4/21:

-Added rule that players automatically muted by valve can't join CT. Makes logistical sense. Not much to explain here and shows no indication of issue with population.

Removed christmas related plugins.

1/30/21:

-alphabetized nomination list

-readded hdr version of a previously removed map

All general maintenance, no real changes made so far. All good at this point.

2/3/21:

-added a map

- Added Guard Queue/Prisoner queue plugin (quality of life change, nothing super impactful)

-added plugin to mitigate random disconnects (general maintenance)

-added a model for admins

-removed xmas related models from store

This seems to be from the outside looking in, the meatiest change since 12/4/20 but still nothing game changing. Downward trend I assume at this point is still on going

2/9/21:

-fixed bug in new guard queue plugin (general maintenance)

- added commands for guard queue into in-game menu? (not sure what they mean by this, they added the plugin but forgot to implement the rest of the commands in the menu for a week? I'm not sure but doesn't look like someone on top of their game objectively. we all have lives and thinks fly under the radar. No problem)

-added next map advert (i thought the nextmap command has been a thing for like 15 years?) General maintenance

- removed some guns that were viewed as op from a specific map

2/14/21:

- added plugin that will auto unmute player who are auto muted by valve (QOL update, stupid thing for valve to put into community servers)

-remove rule saying auto muted players can't join ct due to implementation of the above.

- fixed map bug and readded a map

2/18/21:

boils down to bug fixing things previously added ( general maintenance, fix whats broken)

2/27/21:

-add chat filter for no no words

-"map balancing"

3/18/21:

- added new map

- can now stop flashlight from being auto bound to inspect

- changed guard queue ratio from 1/2 to 1/1.5 (presumably at this point meta was leaning towards OP t side? also could be at this point current active population couldn't sustain true 1:2 ratio without making it OP for T's. Not sure what change this affects as how can you have 1 and a half ts for every one ct. Maybe im reading it wrong.)

4/15/21:

-Raised server slots to 46 ( bold strategy cotton lets see how it plays out for them)

-brought in a warm up round on map change to address some users potatos not loading fast enough to make it in for the first round

- changed guard queue command aliase

- added 2 maps

4/16/21:

-new guard queue too buggy and was removed in favor of the older more stable ratio control plugin

-star wars event live

4/23/21:

- change to health boost ( im not familiar with this as it is after my time so i will refrain from commenting on how it could affect gameplay. I personally think it just increases survivability for Ts/CTs. Not a crazy game changing idea but novel and worth putting in.

-map fixing

5/9/21:

-novelty buddy system for elite supporters added

-removed 2 maps

-removed !fk in favor of !calladmin

-stars event over

6/12/21:

-removed several maps

-increased buyable health shots

-reduced how much health each shot gives

-reduced map exlusion rate

7/12/21:

-removed extended round times excluding several listed maps

-new round end screens reflective of whichever side wins

7/27/21:

-decreased the required amount of votes to vote mute someone from 30-25(i'd ask why was this necessary? Maybe cause you couldn't get 30 people in the server at one time and admins stopped frequenting the server as often to help with spammers?)

- increased how long the vote went on for vote muting from 15-25 seconds

-changed default starting map to electric ( i thought this was the meta for a JB server since like 2009?)

- cchanged team names to guard and prisoners

7/28/21:

-decreased all times needed on ct to go through the ranks

8/22/21:

- new models

-readded previously removed map

-changed default map to vipinthemix

10/17/21:

-added halloween versions of electric and summer jail

-removed some models/skins from store

-removed ability to drop grenades

-removed lego

12/7/21:

-enabled second "first order"

-updated neon map with newer version

-decreased required amount of players to enable first order from 30-25 (presumably because population was too low to even need first order)

-decreased required amount of players to initiate the !tmute command from 25-20 (things are starting to become telling here)

-increased the number of times tmute can be used from 2 to 3

-increased time of tmute to 30 seconds

2/5/22:

-added newly updated last request plugin (probably the biggest change on this list in my opinion, but at the end of the day still just an update to an already added plugin expanding on previously added features while also adding some new ones, not game play changing)

That's it my man. From page 8-9 almost 2 years worth of changelog and nothing of innovative substance. More just general maintenance. I think more innovative ideas need to be pushed and implemented. Look at a warden for instance, for years it was "we don't want to add a warden because not having one is what makes us unique and keeps players coming" They aint coming no more chief. We are no longer leaders, its time to rebuild and do what the successful servers are doing. What other JB server is thriving and doesn't have a warden system? I don't mean to point fingers at anyone here, but when you really look at the direction of the server, honestly, i don't see how its much different than when I was in staff almost 3 years ago. Some new QOL features and updated plugins of past one's. Nothing has really changed from an outside perspective that would alter the current course. You were handed a tough gig as community servers are dying out and pop was declining, doing those little changes requires a lot more effort then most people think which contributes towards eventual burn out(happens to everyone if you say you wouldn't get burned out, lel)

Again, I don't mean to insult anyone's work on the server. I'm confident you have had countless discussions about where to go with it and have put hours and hours of effort into those changes but I'm going to say something that might hurt some feelings.

At the end of the day, if you spend hours upon hours trying to fix a bug that has no real impact on gameplay and is a slight annoyance, it doesn't really matter. Ask anyone on the Board right now and I will guarantee you they have more than a few stories about certain things they've worked on here that they stayed up late/worked tirelessly on to implement that had no real impact on their server or the community. It happens and is part of the gig. Time to start thinking about altering the core structure of your server because at the moment, your core structure isn't attracting anyone and pretending it's just the time of the year isn't going to help anyone and you should probably just step down and let someone who's gungho get their chance to shine.

Respectfully. 

Who are you?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  452

!fo was the downfall of jailbreak. Regulars can only do so much when you need to toe a fine line between voicing your opinion while remaining on the favorable side of staff. Rules were changed or added to supplement an admin playing on the server to enforce the rules that were already on the books.

Reply to Thread

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.