? servers

? players online

Russia Invades Ukraine pt 2

• Content Count:  2844

The last thread was derailed quite badly and locked for a good reason. However, I'd like to continue this discussion being impactful in the world politics. I'd also love to hear more international opinions since I've only had to privalige to discuss the situation with my colleagues and friends in Finland. I'm sure we can keep the discussion on the actual topic.

Anyway, so far the situation is that Russian troops are closing in on the capital Kiev and have managed to capture some key locations. Apparently Ukrainians are putting up some good resistance. Interesting to see how long they manage to keep it up. The west is not planning on intervening militarily but are setting sanctions that hopefully affect the Russian economy enough to sway them or inflict long term damage to it. Also interesting the current situation in Chernobyl. The power plant, now being decomissioned, has been seized by the Russian forces. They are apparently holding the workers there hostage. This should not pose any huge risks to the surrounding are, but the power plant still does require maintenance. 

The situation also sparked a discussion in Sweden and Finland about the possibility of joining NATO. The big news about this is that the Russian government reacted to this saying "Finland’s accession to NATO would have serious military and political repercussions." Pretty much same what was said about Ukraine joining NATO. Link

Anyway, at least I'm following the situation with great interest living in a nation that borders the current aggressor. 

• Like 11

• Content Count:  169

35 minutes ago, Mad Dogg said:

Also interesting the current situation in Chernobyl. The power plant, now being decomissioned, has been seized by the Russian forces. They are apparently holding the workers there hostage. This should not pose any huge risks to the surrounding are, but the power plant still does require maintenance.

I think without maintenance the plant still won’t be any threat. The radiation has risen but nothing insanely dangerous, they’d have to remove the whole protective tent coverings to cause actual harm to the area. Still though, sucks for the workers now that a few years of work have gone to waste

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2844

42 minutes ago, Steel_ said:

I think without maintenance the plant still won’t be any threat. The radiation has risen but nothing insanely dangerous, they’d have to remove the whole protective tent coverings to cause actual harm to the area. Still though, sucks for the workers now that a few years of work have gone to waste

Pretty much. The only real thread seems to be if one side decides to use it as a "dirty bomb" either to just blackamiling the other party or blowing it up to contaminate the surrounding areas, which I find unlikely considering it will affect both Russia and Europe alike.

• Like 2
Edited by Mad Dogg

• Content Count:  1105

Personally I think NATO is making the correct choice in this sort of situation, while it's quite unfortunate that what's happening between Russia and Ukraine is a reality. I still believe if NATO were to become more deeply involved by sending armed forced to FIGHT in Ukraine that would lead to a literal world war when such major countries like the US/Euros and Russia fight toe to toe. While NATO is not able to fight with Ukraine they're at least taking steps to protect and defend other countries who are being threatened and are giving as much support as NATO possibly could without creating conflict.

Everyone seems to be upset with Pres. Biden and his choice to not take action against Russia saying he's "scared of Russia and is making the US look weak" while I might not agree with some of the things he does this is one thing I can get behind him with. Biden isn't "scared" of Russia he's making an intelligent and well thought out plan on preventing a world war, not only protecting the US from attacks and retaliation but any other allied country that would follow behind. 

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1633

2 hours ago, Steven. said:

Personally I think NATO is making the correct choice in this sort of situation, while it's quite unfortunate that what's happening between Russia and Ukraine is a reality. I still believe if NATO were to become more deeply involved by sending armed forced to FIGHT in Ukraine that would lead to a literal world war when such major countries like the US/Euros and Russia fight toe to toe. While NATO is not able to fight with Ukraine they're at least taking steps to protect and defend other countries who are being threatened and are giving as much support as NATO possibly could without creating conflict.

Everyone seems to be upset with Pres. Biden and his choice to not take action against Russia saying he's "scared of Russia and is making the US look weak" while I might not agree with some of the things he does this is one thing I can get behind him with. Biden isn't "scared" of Russia he's making an intelligent and well thought out plan on preventing a world war, not only protecting the US from attacks and retaliation but any other allied country that would follow behind. 

I think NATO will somehow unfortunately get involved at some point in the near future regardless. Putin doesn’t want Ukraine; he wants to bring the USSR back. He won’t stop until he has to. Eventually he will touch NATO soil and then shit is going to hit the fan. Shame European peace is coming to an end.

He’s a war criminal. There are videos of Russian troops  running over civilian cars and bombing kindergartens. There’s a special place in hell for Putin and one can only hope he’ll be there by the end of this conflict.

• Like 2
Edited by Kieran

• Content Count:  11501

Curious if any other vets on here are looking to head that way. I got a few months left on this Middle East contract then was looking to volunteer over in Ukraine and fuck some shit up.

• Like 17

• Content Count:  1920

This whole situation is a really tough one. The ones suffering the most in the situation are the peoples of both of these countries. Ukrainians indiscriminately targeted by Russian shelling and Russian people watching their economy sink  (The value of the ruble as of today is the lowest it has been since at least 2003), and 18 and 19 year olds are being conscripted and told to invade Ukraine without much understanding of why or how.

Putin is a bitch who just wants to go out in a blaze of glory before he kicks the can. You know you fucked up when your buddy buddy politicians and corrupt oligarchs are denouncing your actions. It's clear it is only because their pockets are threatened, but this whole situation just baffles me. Russian morale is low and ever-decreasing it seems. I hope this conflict ends swiftly and with minimal casualties. 

Fuck Putin.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

15 minutes ago, Phoenix_ said:

This whole situation is a really tough one. The ones suffering the most in the situation are the peoples of both of these countries. Ukrainians indiscriminately targeted by Russian shelling and Russian people watching their economy sink  (The value of the ruble as of today is the lowest it has been since at least 2003),

Felt like adding to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/27/world/europe/ruble-russia-stock-market.html

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-28/card/kLVgZhp5euuV1BfDlhb1

Funny graph:
spacer.png

• Like 1

Reply to Thread