? servers

? players online

Russia Invades Ukraine pt 2

• Content Count:  819

Coming from my perspective as a Canadian, and with all the news I heard, I think NATO is going to stay far away from this situation for as long as humanely possible. 

Russia is already being aggressive enough if the alliance actually shows up you can only imagine what extremes the Russian military will have to go through to combat a multiple front war (it won't be good). NATO is the trigger for that extreme to come out, that's why there is only support coming in the ways of lethal and non lethal equipment from Canada and other countries U.S, England, etc.

Russia is also pushing a massive disinformation campaign right now link, link and most of the people have mixed ideas on what the actual news is, I stress that if you know anyone in Russia or Ukraine to send them news from other countries covering this. It will come back in Putin's face, like all of it will eventually.

The capture of Chernobyl concerns me, and the idea of a dirty bomb in there is especially alarming. But with the current hostage situation we'll have to see how things play out. And what Russia's true intention with the location will hopefully reveal in time.

• Content Count:  565

It's a big pill swallow that in a span of a week thousands of Ukrainian citizens turn into refugees and many people my age(even younger) are getting slaughtered each passing day. There is no winners in this both short term/long term(created by 1 person in power), and it's just fucking depressing to see. There's also a growing xenophobia against people with Russian nationality/origin. Same shit a little bit after 9/11 with Arab Americans and during the start of the pandemic with anyone that remotely look asian. 

I guess history always repeat itself. 

Edited by Starlegendgod

• Content Count:  1105

9 hours ago, Caution said:

Curious if any other vets on here are looking to head that way. I got a few months left on this Middle East contract then was looking to volunteer over in Ukraine and fuck some shit up.

I have a few buddies I work with who used to be marines that are actually planning on going over to Ukraine to do some work and in your words "fuck shit up". Also some who aren't military but are trying to get their passports updated so they can fly out to Poland and help in Ukraine. 

• Content Count:  1583

A few questions:

Why does everyone seem to point to Putin/Russia as the 'bad guy's here? Is it Cold War/Modern Media stigma? Because they're the aggressor? The tactics being used?

What are you guys using as your sources for what you believe about what's going on?

Why do you think whatever source you use can or should be counted as reputable? (Keep in mind that your country, whichever that is, has previously participated in disinformation campaigns, and whatever outlet you're following has been known to be biased and fabricate stories.)

• Content Count:  908

2 hours ago, Gentoo said:

A few questions:

Why does everyone seem to point to Putin/Russia as the 'bad guy's here? Is it Cold War/Modern Media stigma? Because they're the aggressor? The tactics being used?

really tired so this will be the only post i make, but this seems to be the most common (and valid IMO) reasons putin is seen as the 'bad guy'

Also not really sure why that's a question, seems pretty obvious.

- Unprovoked aggression.

- Shelling of civilian cities causing hundreds of casualties.

- Throwing that region (and possibly Europe) into chaos.

- Threatening countries such as Sweden and Finland for wanting to join NATO
- Conscripting 19 year old kids and telling them they're going on a 'training mission' in Crimea/Belarus and basically sending them to their death. (And telling them if they dont fight they'll be shot on the spot)

- Telling his citizens he's 'De-Nazifying' Ukraine when the President is Jewish and had multiple family members die in the Holocaust.

- Telling his citizens that Ukraine actually attacked Russia first.

- Arresting protesters for protesting an unjust war.

- Threatening and silencing media for reporting on the Truth.

- Causing an extreme Economic Crisis in his country because of his wet dreams of bringing back the Soviet Union.

- Threatening the entire world with what amounts to nuclear war if they intervene in Ukraine.

• Like 12
Edited by Infinityward

• Content Count:  2844

Definitely not the first time Russians have gone through difficult times. Many don't even seem to be bothered by the economy too much and seem to think this as a passing thing. Obviously the market is going to react to these news on short term, but what really counts is the long-term effects they might have on the Russian economy. These might be the harshest sanctions imposed on Russia but we have no way of knowig if they will actually work yet. I'm almost certain tha Russian government learned from it's annexation of Crimea and the from the sanctions imposed by the west and they have enough reserve to fix their economy without any real damage. At least Putin doesn't seem to be worrying about them too much.

Cutting Russia from the swift payment system might be the biggest hit on Russian economy. This also hit Russians abroard pretty hard. I heard that many of them on vacation in Thailand were having troubles because their cards weren't working and no one would accept the plumeting ruble.

9 hours ago, Gentoo said:

A few questions:

What are you guys using as your sources for what you believe about what's going on?

Why do you think whatever source you use can or should be counted as reputable? (Keep in mind that your country, whichever that is, has previously participated in disinformation campaigns, and whatever outlet you're following has been known to be biased and fabricate stories.)

Well, for one Russia acted as the clear aggressor here. I think I explained in the previous thread that the justifications for the invasion are complete bullshit from our point of wiev. Russia has for a long time been doing this large misinformation campaing to justify these actions to their citizens and foreigners, being more successful in convincing it's citizens and escpecially the older generation, whose only source of information is the state controlled news outlet. Infinityward summed it up pretty nicely.

I by no means blame the whole nation. There are many who oppose these actions conducted by their government. There's just little they can do considering they're being arrested for protesting said actions and since the political opposition is either in exile, jailed or killed, the only thing for most is to either obey or face the consiquenses. There are those, who are brave enough to speak against their leaders. There are however those, who follow their leaders blindly and believe everything said, or just simply don't care what they're doing.

The source question is an interesting topic on it's own. I generally have a pretty good trust in the media outlets of my country.  Without getting too much into detail about it all I can do is read evrything said with a grain of salt and from multiple sources. At least we have the luxory of checking multiple sources before coming to any conclusions.

• Like 5
Edited by Mad Dogg
typos. It's 4am...

• Content Count:  3150

23 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

A few questions:

So that's what we're gonna do? Question multiple different countries sources...and do what exactly? Choose to believe that Putin/Russia is the *victim of mass information*. Also ignore all the direct lies that Putin has stated...publicly...live...on national television...that goes against everything most Americans stand for. Actively acknowledging his distaste for Democracy while also calling leaders of Ukraine who *have known Jewish heritage and ties*...nazis.

We can go on, how about Putin stating publicly that he is simply sending and moving troops around for military exercises and then surrounding an entire country....moving troops in...and declaring war. Sending his troops to attack and fight what is in some cases other Russians living in a different country while disrupting the *entire way of life for that country*. Mind you an entirely developed country that did not need Putin's help in any way.

Oh also committing multiple war crimes. International war crimes. Recognized by the entirety of established countries on this planet.

What the fucking shit are you on about.

I really can't believe I have to say this but you now have 3 options:

1. Say you were trolling

2. Just stop talking

3. Keep up this rhetoric and get removed from this subforum entirely

• Like 15

Reply to Thread