? servers

? players online

Russia Invades Ukraine pt 3

• Content Count:  820

2 hours ago, Gentoo said:

Option C, go nuclear seeing it might be too late to make amends with Russia. (You don't actually have to go to war to get oil, see 2016-2020.) I'm not been a huge proponent of shilling EVs it seems a better option than if we have to go to war over it lol. Whenever this blows over, I don't think it's going to be impossible for us to have access to oil (assuming we don't keep burning bridges) and we should be able to wean most industries off within 20 years.

This has always been an issue with the Global Economy. I don't mean to go all hippie mode on this, but most of our economic balance relies on exploiting developing countries and the West using it's dominating presence to get what they want out of others. Russia seems to have made it clear that they aren't interested in playing this game and being treated unfairly (from their perspective), and time will tell if they are better for it.

Sent from my phone on my 5 minute shit break, will expound upon later.

You May Live To See Man-Made Horrors Beyond Your Comprehension | Know Your  Meme

• Like 17

• Content Count:  1583

3 hours ago, Infinityward said:

Pretty much destroys every pro-russian argument...

No...no it doesn't. It deboonks a single shitty propaganda video...hardly. Listened to this during my workout tonight and it's literally just him whinging for 40 minutes, often conceding that most points are true or partially true but presented in a misleading way or pieced together to construct a narrative - like everyone does. If he'd bothered to try to make any conclusions I'm sure I could play the same game - but he doesn't. I don't even disagree with much of what he said, his voice and patronizing is just annoying as hell as well as obviously going for the low hanging fruit.

Regardless, this doesn't "obliterate every Pro-Russian perspective with facts and logic", he concedes many of the points in the video or writes them off. Even still, the original video doesn't even address many of the points being made. That wasn't even the point of the video you linked though so that's on you. Thanks for playing tho, 3/10 waste of time but some good bits of commonly misconceived history

• Content Count:  539

On 3/22/2022 at 7:28 PM, Gentoo said:

You don't actually have to go to war to get oil, see 2016-2020.

Could you elaborate on this as I'm having trouble understanding why you picked this time frame specifically. 

The US didnt leave afghanistan until 2021. [whitehouse.gov] [nytimes.com]

They didnt leave Irag until 2021. [reuters.com]

Troops are still in Yemen. [newamerica.org]

Troops are still in Somalia. [africom.mil]

Troops are still in Syria. [politico.com]

The US seems to have still been at war during this time period.

I might be missing something unless you are saying these wars simply weren't about oil between 2016-2020.

But otherwise, it doesn't seem like any ending or starting to any US war lines up with these years.

• Content Count:  2206

Weren’t we energy independent during those years. Producing most of our own oil and exporting more than we imported? I don’t feel like fact checking so someone feel free to call me out

• Like 1

• Content Count:  539

Interesting point. According to eia.gov we reached a negative net import of petroleum and related products in 2020 by about ~650,000 barrels per day with our consumption of these products at ~18.12 million barrels per day and production at ~18.4 million per day. This only happened in 2020 and there aren't any numbers present on 2021.

It should also be noted that this decrease in net imports began in 2005 with a ramp up of US production occurring after 2008. 

Here is the graph I referenced:

pQtCIk0.png

With a more interactive graph on the website and some other charts about other stuff related to the petroleum sector.

It should be noted that this doesn't account for all energy in the US so maybe we were offsetting the import of crude oil with the export of coal or something. I didnt dig enough to find that information. The original point was about oil though so good enough for me.

• Content Count:  2206

1 hour ago, crazedkangaroo said:

Interesting point. According to eia.gov we reached a negative net import of petroleum and related products in 2020 by about ~650,000 barrels per day with our consumption of these products at ~18.12 million barrels per day and production at ~18.4 million per day. This only happened in 2020 and there aren't any numbers present on 2021.

I believe you will see a sharp change in numbers as if my memory serves correctly, Biden shut down the new pipelines that Trump had opened up almost on day 1. We probably import much more oil than we are currently exporting. Which is funny when you think about Biden blaming gas prices entirely on Putin, when these prices were bound to become a reality since day 1 of his presidency. Obviously with us no longer buying oil from Russia, those prices are going to see a sharp increase a small amount of time, but if I'm following everything correctly, had Biden not shut these pipelines down on Day 1, we would most likely have continued exporting more than importing, and with everyone having stopped buying oil from Russia, we would no only have not seen our prices go stay relatively the same, they probably would have gone down with us being an alternative seller and more people hitting us up for oil once Russia did this.

Again, I'm not fact checking, just taking what I understand to be the truth and interpreting it according to what makes logical sense to me. If anyone can refute my points, please do.

• Content Count:  5377

29 minutes ago, kabLe said:

I believe you will see a sharp change in numbers as if my memory serves correctly, Biden shut down the new pipelines that Trump had opened up almost on day 1. We probably import much more oil than we are currently exporting. Which is funny when you think about Biden blaming gas prices entirely on Putin, when these prices were bound to become a reality since day 1 of his presidency. Obviously with us no longer buying oil from Russia, those prices are going to see a sharp increase a small amount of time, but if I'm following everything correctly, had Biden not shut these pipelines down on Day 1, we would most likely have continued exporting more than importing, and with everyone having stopped buying oil from Russia, we would no only have not seen our prices go stay relatively the same, they probably would have gone down with us being an alternative seller and more people hitting us up for oil once Russia did this.

Again, I'm not fact checking, just taking what I understand to be the truth and interpreting it according to what makes logical sense to me. If anyone can refute my points, please do.

Which pipelines are you referring to? 

Reply to Thread