? servers

? players online

Need Help w/ PC Builds

• Content Count:  927

Hello!

I am looking to buy a new computer but I do not want to buy it pre-built in order to truly get my money's worth. It turns out I'm not great at building PCs, so I am in need of assistance.

Does anyone mind helping me build a PC? My price range is $3000-3100 or less. I would also prefer to finance it, but if that's not possible then it's all gucci.

Thank you!

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1920

I'm gonna need some more specifics. What do you plan to use this computer for? Do you have any specific desires you already know about? Any brands you prefer? 

I think (besides the graphics card tbh) you're really digging yourself too deep of a hole in terms of money. 99% of people don't really need a build that'll cost more than probably than $1200-$1400.

Answer some of these Qs, and I'll make a little mock build for ya.

AMD or Intel?

16 or 32gb of ram? 

Do you want a m.2 (very fast hard drive) that's 1TB and then a big (2-3TB) HDD ("slow" hard drive) for extra storage or just one big SSD (mid-speed hard drive) that's like 2TB and a small HDD?

Do you know what graphics card you want (that's where most of your cost will come from)

And do you really want RGB stuff? I know it's very appealing for some people but I've probably saved a collective $200-$250 over the time I've had my PC by upgrading parts with the non-RGB version of the part. You could have 2 32GB RAM kits, both 3200MHz in speed, but the one that's RGB might run you $30-40 more.

Sorry if that's a lot all at once, just trying to get a good picture so I can mock up something close to what you may really want.

Edited by Phoenix_

• Content Count:  927

3 minutes ago, Phoenix_ said:

I'm gonna need some more specifics. What do you plan to use this computer for? Do you have any specific desires you already know about? Any brands you prefer? 

I would be using it for everything (school, work, etc.) , but I need it to run games exceptionally well. As far as brands, it doesn't matter to me tbh. I care about the build and the specs more then the name taped to it tbh.

I think (besides the graphics card tbh) you're really digging yourself too deep of a hole in terms of money. 99% of people don't really need a build that'll cost more than probably than $1200-$1400. 

This computer cost around $1500-1600 a couple years ago (got it on sale for around $1300 during Christmas). I would link you the specs from Microcenter but they don't sell it anymore. If you want the specs, I can DM you on Discord.

Answer some of these Qs, and I'll make a little mock build for ya.

AMD or Intel? Either. I've always been an Intel person but that's just because I never put much effort looking into AMD. I know they both are neck and neck though for being the best.

16 or 32gb of ram? 32gb. 

Do you want a m.2 (very fast hard drive) that's 1TB and then a big (2-3TB) HDD ("slow" hard drive) for extra storage or just one big SSD (mid-speed hard drive) that's like 2TB and a small HDD? 

So I do have a 1TB Samsung SSD in my computer right now, so I was hoping I could just use that one and maybe add another one unless for some reason it would not work out. 

Do you know what graphics card you want (that's where most of your cost will come from) 

I was thinking about a 3080 TI or anything near it. But if there's something that will perform like it that's a different brand and/or cheaper, then It's all good to me.

And do you really want RGB stuff? I know it's very appealing for some people but I've probably saved a collective $200-$250 over the time I've had my PC by upgrading parts with the non-RGB version of the part. You could have 2 32GB RAM kits, both 3200MHz in speed, but the one that's RGB might run you $30-40 more.

Great question lmao. If we can fit it into the budget, then I would like some color. But if we can get a better X and/or Y because we are able to save $ from the RGB, then I am definitely okay with that. The computer would just sit under my desk for the most part. If it sat on top of my desk, then I would definitely want it.

Sorry if that's a lot all at once, just trying to get a good picture so I can mock up something close to what you may really want.

• Content Count:  1920

Alright. Here's what I came up with.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/27HrrD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x- In my opinion is better than comparative i7s in terms of bang for your buck, power usage, etc. 

Cooling: Cooler Master RGB fan. This is just the RGB version of the CPU cooler I have in my own computer. Works great and isn't loud.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E- High end motherboard for your chipset and allows for more expansion of RAM, m.2 hard drives, etc. It's also RGB.

Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB- My buddy has these and he says they work great. 32GB set @ 3200 MHz. No RGB.

Storage: Your SSD + Samsung Evo 970 Plus. The extra TB of m.2 speed would be great for booting your computer in seconds, and fast load times in games.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB - This is where I diverge a little. I don't know a ton about graphics cards because I have never been in the market for one since my 1070 serves me well. Looking at the benchmark points of the 3070 Ti vs the base 3080... it's worth it to just save the money. The 3070 Ti will give you fantastic performance on any game at significantly less of a price than the 3080. The 3080s are also bigger and much more power consuming, and honestly harder to get as well. I think you'd be more than satisfied with this card.

Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini ATX- Don't let the name throw you. This looks like an excellent case, and Lian Li is a great brand for cases. It's a bigger case but has great airflow and a lot of mounting spots for fans.

PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold - Not a ton to say. You don't really need the full 750W but it gives you room to upgrade in the future. Also it's fully modular, which is nice.

Extra Fans: Lian Li also sells these. Would fit in the case, and would essentially just replace the case fans so you could have RGB.

Total cost comes around $2200 for a computer that will last you years and years with great performance. 

• Like 1
Edited by Phoenix_

• Content Count:  908

14 hours ago, Phoenix_ said:

Alright. Here's what I came up with.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/27HrrD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x- In my opinion is better than comparative i7s in terms of bang for your buck, power usage, etc. 

Cooling: Cooler Master RGB fan. This is just the RGB version of the CPU cooler I have in my own computer. Works great and isn't loud.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E- High end motherboard for your chipset and allows for more expansion of RAM, m.2 hard drives, etc. It's also RGB.

Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB- My buddy has these and he says they work great. 32GB set @ 3200 MHz. No RGB.

Storage: Your SSD + Samsung Evo 970 Plus. The extra TB of m.2 speed would be great for booting your computer in seconds, and fast load times in games.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB - This is where I diverge a little. I don't know a ton about graphics cards because I have never been in the market for one since my 1070 serves me well. Looking at the benchmark points of the 3070 Ti vs the base 3080... it's worth it to just save the money. The 3070 Ti will give you fantastic performance on any game at significantly less of a price than the 3080. The 3080s are also bigger and much more power consuming, and honestly harder to get as well. I think you'd be more than satisfied with this card.

Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini ATX- Don't let the name throw you. This looks like an excellent case, and Lian Li is a great brand for cases. It's a bigger case but has great airflow and a lot of mounting spots for fans.

PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold - Not a ton to say. You don't really need the full 750W but it gives you room to upgrade in the future. Also it's fully modular, which is nice.

Extra Fans: Lian Li also sells these. Would fit in the case, and would essentially just replace the case fans so you could have RGB.

Total cost comes around $2200 for a computer that will last you years and years with great performance. 

I've got a 5800x and from what I've read and experienced it tends to run hotter than the 5950x or the 5700x.. I'd probably get the 5950x if I were you. Also i'd probably swing for an AIO rather than a small air cooler, or at the very least get a bigger air cooler.

• Like 3

Reply to Thread