? servers

? players online

A solution.

• Content Count:  5377

10 hours ago, duffy said:

All of the people that used to be regulars here moved to their own discords, for understandable reasons.

Not really sure what point you’re trying to make here. Can you list out some of the “understandable” reasons?

I’m also semi confused on what you mean by not being able to go in and drop a couple of jokes without pissing people off. Who are we pissing off? Context of the jokes? Examples of retaliation for said jokes?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  169

35 minutes ago, delirium said:

Not really sure what point you’re trying to make here. Can you list out some of the “understandable” reasons?

I’m also semi confused on what you mean by not being able to go in and drop a couple of jokes without pissing people off. Who are we pissing off? Context of the jokes? Examples of retaliation for said jokes?

I believe what Duffy is talking about is what happened last night over using the name “Banana Joe” in discord chat. One member said the name after a message was sent saying that the word is now a banned term. I don’t think anyone believed it was a serious change and the member who said it got a day long mute. After being on a break for a year, I have no idea who this Banana Joe guy is and what he did to cause such a commotion over his name being said. From the perspective of a new user, seeing the toxic relationship between the regulars and staff wouldn’t make me want to join in and talk in the discord chats. I really believe that the situation was super dumb to be arguing over and I do agree with Duffy that these situations are making SG a less welcoming atmosphere to new members.

• Content Count:  2206

26 minutes ago, Steel_ said:

I believe what Duffy is talking about is what happened last night over using the name “Banana Joe” in discord chat. One member said the name after a message was sent saying that the word is now a banned term. I don’t think anyone believed it was a serious change and the member who said it got a day long mute. After being on a break for a year, I have no idea who this Banana Joe guy is and what he did to cause such a commotion over his name being said. From the perspective of a new user, seeing the toxic relationship between the regulars and staff wouldn’t make me want to join in and talk in the discord chats. I really believe that the situation was super dumb to be arguing over and I do agree with Duffy that these situations are making SG a less welcoming atmosphere to new members.

What you haven’t seen is that this has been going on well over 4-5 months and banana joe ha asked politely MULTIPLE times for it to stop. What would be your proposed solution? Should we tell him to fuck off or protect his right to not be annoyed for half a year?

This isn’t an us vs you mentality. This is an we have asked you stop on multiple occasions and you have blatantly disregarded us. 

Let it be known that while I am IA, I will not condone this behavior and unless someone from the Board or IA team disagrees with me I will be stepping in. I’m all for friendly banter and if someone does not have a problem with it than neither do I, however on the flip side, I will not allow someone to actively disregard us and intentionally annoy someone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kabLe said:

What you haven’t seen is that this has been going on well over 4-5 months and banana joe ha asked politely MULTIPLE times for it to stop. What would be your proposed solution? Should we tell him to fuck off or protect his right to not be annoyed for half a year?

But isn’t this Banana Joe guy not even in the discord? If he were in the discord and was constantly getting pinged then it would be a problem that would have to be addressed

• Content Count:  5377

9 minutes ago, Steel_ said:

Fair. I actually just skimmed through all of that drama a few minutes ago. From a neutral perspective I can see how annoying it would be to have people that you’ve never interacted with consistently pinging you, but I can also see how it can be considered harmless trolling.

I’m not clued into any of the disciplinary decisions being made here but my advice would be to follow the rules and there won’t be any issues. It seems like messaging could have been better in this scenario prior to handing out a 24h mute so there’s room to reevaluate how we go about that from a staff perspective.

As far as the whole “regulars vs staff” thing goes: This is some manufactured bullshit not gonna lie. I’m not saying “everything is x group or x persons fault” but from what I can see a lot of the issues people are having have been entirely brought upon themselves. None of the passive aggressiveness is helping the situation. None of the side comments anytime anything is announced are helping the situation. I get that there are quite a few former staff members who may feel some type of way about the board, lack of progress, recent promotions, or whatever else the complaint flavor of the day is, but voicing those frustrations constructively instead of coming on and just flinging sarcastic shit at the wall would go a long way towards the ultimate goal of everyone being able to enjoy themselves here.

I appreciate the sincere response.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Steel_ said:

But isn’t this Banana Joe guy not even in the discord? If he were in the discord and was constantly getting pinged then it would be a problem that would have to be addressed

He left the discord specifically because of this.

17 minutes ago, kabLe said:

He left the discord specifically because of this.

But was any action against those before he left? I wasn’t here so I genuinely have no clue what happened. It just seems silly to punish members after it happened and not while it’s happening

3 minutes ago, Steel_ said:

But was any action against those before he left? I wasn’t here so I genuinely have no clue what happened. It just seems silly to punish members after it happened and not while it’s happening

I don’t want to play the semantics games. Prior staff members were collectively targeting someone who made it known on multiple occasions that a long time member did not appreciate the annoyances. We have asked several people to stop in private and then a direct public statement was made which was disregarded less than 3 hours later. I understand the game that is being played and I refuse to take part in it. They knew what they were doing.

• Content Count:  3150

12 hours ago, duffy said:

I generally read forums posts and try to get a gist of what still goes on (forums and discord sides) since I still play the servers but I can confidently say that this has been our problem recently for the longest time. Personally, I feel like I can't even join the SG discord and make a few jokes without the fear of pissing someone off and they start talking to someone. But, I'm not saying that we should open the flood gates and allow everything. The 'fun' environment in SG is gone, and has been for awhile now. I checked in to the main discord tonight because I was trying to get people on scrim (please join more often guys) and I saw an argument between like 6 people over the dumbest things. We are like, totally gone and moving away from a welcoming and fun atmosphere. Motivation is, from what I have seen and assume, gone from half of our staff members which is probably correlated to all of the distaste between our staff and members. 80% of our staff/admins don't even attempt to get on the servers anymore. Nobody even tries anymore, it's like a wasteland. Some people try running this place like they get paid millions for it. You don't. It's a gaming community. Let loose a little bit. All of the people that used to be regulars here moved to their own discords, for understandable reasons. The main discord is probably the most distasteful place at times. We need to bring back our welcoming environment and be a 'gaming community'.

You clearly came in at a bad time, so apologies for that, but there is no need to correlate that to the norm. You're right to say the welcoming atmosphere is gone, but you're sort of pointing the finger wrong here. The only staff vs regular conflicts that have caused any sort of big issue and divide and subsequently caused regs to move to their own discord is that people want to be trolls and assholes and call it fun, which unironically works directly against creating any sort of welcoming environment. The 'lets have fun' and 'we're just a gaming community' often comes out of the mouths of people who want to inherently be trolls with no regard for some simple fucking human decency. Your definition of 'running this place like they get paid millions for it' is just a group of adults who have more than an ounce of maturity. Even the realones was the subject of getting sort of pushed out in the past for being too trolly, but then half of them grew up a little bit and actually became worthwhile members of the community (mostly). I respect what you're digging at here, I just think you gotta be careful correlating one thing into the next.

• Like 1

Just now, kabLe said:

I don’t want to play the semantics games. Prior staff members were collectively targeting someone who made it known on multiple occasions that a long time member did not appreciate the annoyances. We have asked several people to stop in private and then a direct public statement was made which was disregarded less than 3 hours later. I understand the game that is being played and I refuse to take part in it. They knew what they were doing.

I’m not trying to play “semantic” games with you. Hell, I haven’t even heard the word before. I’m just pointing out what I see as unfair and voice my opinion.

Reply to Thread