? servers

? players online

FFA Release WishList

• Content Count:  2206

Hi Team,

Let me start off by saying FFA is up and running!

Connection Info: connect 135.148.5.24:27017

It's fairly bare bones at the moment but that is really how an FFA server should be in terms of general gameplay. What I need now is people to help play test, find bugs/broken items, and come up with ideas.

In an effort to include the community in the creation process, I'd like to get an idea from you guys what I could do that would make you more likely to want to come play consistently or even semi consistently. Is there a launch contest that I could try putting together to incentivize you guys hopping a board? Currently, I was thinking of maybe looking for an achievements plugin and then having a bunch of achievements for each gun like X kills with each gun, X headshots, etc and the first 5 people to 100% can get a steam game (price may very depending on if we crowd fund or I pay out of pocket as I'd rather keep SG donation funds towards keeping the servers up until we can be more liberal with our funds)

This also opens up the opportunity for me to be able to wipe the database on a regular basis and keep having contests going involving achievements. I could even take suggestions from you guys for a custom achievements that are more outside of the box to make things a little harder or easier depending on the suggestion.

Let me know what you guys would like to see or any potential ideas that you could see incentivizing players to hop on the server and keep coming back!

Thank you,

• Like 8

• Content Count:  1051

I mean yay but wasn't FFA one of our, if not THE lowest popped server we had. I remember maybe only 3 people would hop on in the early morning and thats all. Even crackhouse had a bigger pop than FFA (although both incredibly lacking). Is bringing this back really a good idea, or this just adding another server that wont help our cause?

• Content Count:  1583

After huffing some gas I have some idea that might be fun to look into.

Firstly, I want to ask if you have any intended direction, purpose, or direction for the server. FFA servers are usually used just to warm up or get a quick practice in before comp, but I get the feeling you may have more up your sleeve.

8 minutes ago, lynxie said:

I mean yay but wasn't FFA one of our, if not THE lowest popped server we had. I remember maybe only 3 people would hop on in the early morning and thats all. Even crackhouse had a bigger pop than FFA (although both incredibly lacking). Is bringing this back really a good idea, or this just adding another server that wont help our cause?

This is correct for the time you have been here. There was a time it was only behind JB and TTT in terms of rank. So top 1k at one point.

1 minute ago, Gentoo said:

After huffing some gas I have some idea that might be fun to look into.

Firstly, I want to ask if you have any intended direction, purpose, or direction for the server. FFA servers are usually used just to warm up or get a quick practice in before comp, but I get the feeling you may have more up your sleeve.

As of right now, the direction is to get a population and try to increase the rank to help get our name back out there. Most community servers that hold consistent populations are Movement based game modes and competitive based game modes like retakes/ffa/1v1. FFA is fairly easy to manage as once you get the bugs out, its just FFA. I don't have some grand plan other than using it as a server to help getting our name out there. Think of FragShack, you may have never played on there, but you know it existed. I also think with the idea of achievements, its a good give and take server with relatively easy management standards. Other than running contests that have decent prizes to give back to the community there isn't much you have to do except bug fixes as they arise once its in a stable form.

If you have another idea that could use this as a kickstart to a bigger operation by all means hit me with it

• Like 1

I don't think it will be difficult to create a good warm-up/practice server. Mostly involves just pulling elements that you like from other servers, HS/Eco modes, map rotation or fixed maps, headshot/hit sounds, etc. I don't think there's a lot of input to give here or a lot of groundbreaking things you can do apart from directly polling the community and offering some sort of contest/stimulus for people to come populate. My issue with this sort of FFA is that it doesn't really foster a community all that well. People don't talk on these types of servers or check out the community. They log on, get their kills, and log off - even during this servers prime we didn't see any community influx, we just had another active server under our belt.

The riskier but more fun and rewarding alternative is building your own gamemode that would foster a community. Gamemodes in this vein would be crackheads, gingham, combat surf etc. This allows you to do custom maps, cosmetics, plugins etc in a way that gives you a lot more creative liberty. We have dabbled with this in the past obviously, but a lot of our shortcomings are pretty self evident and wouldn't be difficult to address this time around - not that we wouldn't be digging up a whole host of new ones and have much less regulars to get the initial population.

If this is something that interests you, not that you need to commit to it, we should get a discussion going about how previous shortcomings can be addressed, what worked and didn't, and what you'd like to see happen with a new server.

Forgot to add, the reason FragShack is a household name is because it's been around for ages, it's owned by Trail (I think), has been plugged by multiple pros/streamers, has sponsored events (I think), and they have like 30 servers so they'll show up in anyone's browser. I don't think you are going to be able to accomplish a comparable level of exposure with just one server of your idea is to get our name stuck in people's heads. Having something to distinguish our server from others - which will be difficult to do with regular FFA - will give us a reasonable chance at that.

18 hours ago, Gentoo said:

Forgot to add, the reason FragShack is a household name is because it's been around for ages, it's owned by Trail (I think), has been plugged by multiple pros/streamers, has sponsored events (I think), and they have like 30 servers so they'll show up in anyone's browser. I don't think you are going to be able to accomplish a comparable level of exposure with just one server of your idea is to get our name stuck in people's heads. Having something to distinguish our server from others - which will be difficult to do with regular FFA - will give us a reasonable chance at that.

Valid point - I have no illusions that we'll be the next big FFA community. Most of those communities have deals with ESEA that allows people to join them through the client to warm up. I'm just simply trying to get a piece of the pie or offer an alternative that can be used for those who don't pay for ESEA. Also, if we can get it decently ranked again at the very least anyone searching through gametracker will see our server. It may not yield the results we hope for but at the very least it's something that doesn't require as much management as TTT/JB.

Also, anyone ideas please feel free to share as the achievements thing is really all I have going around my hollow head.

49 minutes ago, kabLe said:

Valid point - I have no illusions that we'll be the next big FFA community. Most of those communities have deals with ESEA that allows people to join them through the client to warm up. I'm just simply trying to get a piece of the pie or offer an alternative that can be used for those who don't pay for ESEA. Also, if we can get it decently ranked again at the very least anyone searching through gametracker will see our server. It may not yield the results we hope for but at the very least it's something that doesn't require as much management as TTT/JB.

Also, anyone ideas please feel free to share as the achievements thing is really all I have going around my hollow head.

The issue here is that you've boxed yourself into a pretty cut and dry gamemode without much room to innovate. There's a few things you could do here and there but one of the larger servers that focuses solely on this gamemode would've done it by now if it were going to appeal to people at all. 

Consider tracers and paintballs as light cosmetics, but you might be better off scrapping them altogether. As far as achievements go, they're pretty self evident - ak kills, headshots, noscopes. Where you can branch out here is finding some way to make it relevant enough for people to give a shit. Accolade titles? Completion percentage as score on the scoreboard? I believe you already mentioned adding a resetting leaderboard - make sure people can flex it, put it next to their name in chat and on the leaderboard. Maybe introduce very light VIP perks like guaranteed AWP that can also be earned with kill count - incentivizing playtime.

Reply to Thread