? servers

? players online

High quality, low size?

• Content Count:  1910

I think he means to compress something, such as a video, but keep the quality, and have it compressed, for the low size. Personally, I use winrar for all file compressing, and transporting from computer to computer. I have used winrar for movies, although it took like an hour to compress, the quality was the same as it was before I compressed it. If your not talking about a that, please specify?

EDIT: Ok, I just noticed the codec part. So your looking for a way to compress files onto a DVD/CD without lessening the quality. If you want to just store files, use winrar or winzip. I've read about codecs, having never used it before, but as far as I know, codec is a preogrma htat allwos you to comrpess your files, but codecs are lossy, so they lessen the quality, correct me if im wrong?

Edited by SneakySnake

• Content Count:  3391

File compression won't do shit to video files, you people are retarded for suggesting WinRAR, 7-Zip, WinZIP, etc. He stated 'codec', which is video terminology for coder-decoder. If you have a DVD and want to rip it to a smaller file size, there's XViD. There are many, many video compression codecs out there. XViD is popular because there are stand-alone DVD players that support XViD files.

http://www.vcdhelp.com has a ton of information and forums for this type of thing. You'd get a better response there than you would here. I'd suggest reading the forums before asking such a vague question.

What media are you ripping from? What is the current file size? What is the goal file size? What kind of video is it (lots of movement or home movie)? We need more information before we can give you a detailed answer.

If you want a program to reencode a video, then look into VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod. They are free but don't do much else other than reencode. I prefer Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere for a full-feature application. There's also TMPEGEnc for encoding, it's vastly popular.

Reply to Thread