? players online

Would you rather...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• be miserably rich.
    • be happily poor.

Would you rather be...

• Content Count:  1839

That's a bullshit answer. People say that to try and sound high and mighty. This question is a contradiction. Our society is built upon monetary status, it's ingrained in our psyche (the E is not silent).

It is, in my opinion, quite impossible to be rich (Bill Gates rich) and be absolutely miserable. Money can buy you happiness, even if it's not the love of your life. Life isn't about being in love and settling down with that person. Life is about living it the way you want to. Different things interest different people.

If money can't buy you happiness, then I'd like to see you live without it. In all honesty, I find this question insulting to ask, especially at a church. There are very, very poor people that go to church and are miserable. Conversely, there are very, very rich people that go to church and are happy. This kind of question just rubs it in the faces of those that can't afford much and, I believe, would make them even more bitter for the life they've received.

Anyone that chooses 'poor but happy' is lying to themselves. Unless that person lives completely separate from the rest of society and knows not what lifestyle they could have, they would be envious of the people around them.

Sorry, I don't buy this question since both options are fallacies. You can certainly be rich but unhappy, not miserable, but unhappy. This could be due to the choices you've made to get where you are or that you're so rich that you've got nothing left to accomplish. You can also be poor and 'ok' with it, but you'd desire a better lifestyle if you could choose it. No one wants to be poor, if they say they can be truly happy and live on the streets then they're only fooling themselves.

I thanked your post, but you made me angry (because i was going to type near word-for-word this).

In red is your only fallacy.

That is my goal in life. being so rich, I have everything I ever wanted, and then can retire because I have so much fucking money I can sit around and do fucking nothing.

• Content Count:  6712

Who needs goals and aspirations when you have money?

I can't think of one goal I have which doesn't end up in me having money/being lazy/relaxing etc.

• Content Count:  3391

I thanked your post, but you made me angry (because i was going to type near word-for-word this).

In red is your only fallacy.

That is my goal in life. being so rich, I have everything I ever wanted, and then can retire because I have so much fucking money I can sit around and do fucking nothing.

I don't see how that's a fallacy. You could be unhappy that you had to cheat and lie your way to where you are or that you've become the best at everything you've tried and nothing is a challenge anymore. Where's the fallacy?

• Content Count:  3391

Wow. A very in depth explanation. This is exactly what I wanted. Now that you have pointed out the stuff you have pointed out, I am convinced that the question being asked is a contradiction.

BTW, my church didn't ask the question to the whole youth group. We always do ice breakers with the new people at our youth group and asking questions that contains answers that you want neither of was the choice of the ice breaker. This was one of the serious-er ones. The pastor also asked questions like Would you rather eat a toenail or a fingernail and other stuff like that. It's just to introduce the new people to our youth group.

I think a more apt question to ask would be:

Would you rather be feared or respected?

That's a question that digs deep into one's morality.

Reply to Thread