? servers

? players online

GCSE RESULTS:O!

• Content Count:  1384

What some people are referring to with the "You can only get a C grade" is that these exams are for "lesser students" who aren't expected to get any higher then a C and whilst in a Higher test if you don't get a C then you fail in this paper you have a D or E grade to fall back on if you don't get the C grade. But still.....a C is a C and it's not that good.

Interesting. So the more capable students are given tougher tests and if they got a 100% they'd get an A. However, the lesser students would get a C if they scored 100% on their easier tests, correct?

I just don't see why they can't give everyone the same test and let nature play its course. Interesting system, though.

• Content Count:  6712

Interesting. So the more capable students are given tougher tests and if they got a 100% they'd get an A. However, the lesser students would get a C if they scored 100% on their easier tests, correct?

I just don't see why they can't give everyone the same test and let nature play its course. Interesting system, though.

Basically.

Because the range from A* in say Maths to E is so big putting it all into one test is stupid.

The kind of stuff E grade students are capable of is what I (An A student who did it one year early) would be able to do 4 or 5 years ago.

There's no point making A students revise and answer questions well below their capabilities and there is no point making D students answer questions well above their capabilities.

I do admit that as times people in foundation might possibly have gotten a B or higher but in most cases students have a lot of time to prove themselves.

• Content Count:  1384

Basically.

Because the range from A* in say Maths to E is so big putting it all into one test is stupid.

The kind of stuff E grade students are capable of is what I (An A student who did it one year early) would be able to do 4 or 5 years ago.

There's no point making A students revise and answer questions well below their capabilities and there is no point making D students answer questions well above their capabilities.

I do admit that as times people in foundation might possibly have gotten a B or higher but in most cases students have a lot of time to prove themselves.

Are there different schools for students with different abilities? What kind of professions do the lower students aspire to? Probably the same as they do here. I'm curious.

My grade dont bother me completely there good enough to do what i wanted in college:) e.g. Law Psychology, Classical Civilisation and Biology:D

Really? You know I thought the same thing I just looked to get grades that I wanted and scrape through but then the colleges all around my area picked up this retarded "points average" thing where the hardest subjects require higher point averages (which is basically an average of all of GCSE results). This meant that even though my best grades were in Maths and Science I couldn't take either (not that I wanted to) because my point average was too low, and my results were better then yours tbh.

Are there different schools for students with different abilities? What kind of professions do the lower students aspire to? Probably the same as they do here. I'm curious.

Repeat I guess you could say that there is.

Some of the top colleges in my area were only accepting straight A students. Even a Catholic college which is meant to take Catholics first then others was turning down B grade students for A grade non Catholics (although I never liked the idea of a religious college anyway), and to do A levels atleast in my college you needed 7 C's or higher altogether, but a B grade or higher in subjects you wanted to take unless they were new subjects. You also needed atleast a C in English and Maths.

You would find that you had to be an A or B grade student to be taking hard subjects like Maths and Sciences so anything like a doctor etc are thrown out the window to lower people.

Most average students would be taking subjects like Economics, Psychology (the most popular), English, Law, Accounting etc....

Then the people who only just scrapped into A levels were doing subjects like Media studies, film studies, photography etc.....

Then the students who have grades of D and E would find themselves taking alternative courses. These were things such as BTEC which actually counts as 3 A levels and you only do one subject, but in the end Universities and employers value this less but it does allow you to take the subject you want to do entirely. Most of the people doing these courses though are just failures who are taking low level courses and will end up in low paying jobs.

My friend took a BTEC in some kind of electricals course and with a C average he was basically the best student, but because he's always been into it and his dad does it he took it up. It's likely that his job will lead him to earn far more then I and many A level students will earn so grades aren't everything if you have skills in non academic things.

• Content Count:  349

Thanks for calling my 'lesser intelligence':(

He didn't mean it in that way lol. He meant incapable people.

Heck here in America sometimes if you are lucky grades do not mean anything to colleges. For instance I want to go to a community college (aka Junior college...1 step under 4 year university). They just require a personal statement (sometimes) and that you get a good grade on your SAT or ACT. They hardly look at your grades, but of course I get good grades and take advanced classes ;)

It scares me that the students with 'lesser intelligences' are supposed to study economics and law. Oh me, oh my.

I don't think that is a fair summary.

Lesser grades doesn't equate to lesser intelligence to be honest.

All I did for GCSE's was do enough to get by because I didn't really care about the grades as long as it got me into college.

On the other side of the scale, you have people who it means a lot too, and they revise so that they can't possibly do badly.

The amount of revision and effort you put in doesn't really decide how intelligent you are, but then again if you don't show up to an exam in your best state then that's your fault, although it still doesn't mean you're "less intelligent".

Also I wouldn't say "less intelligent" people will be the guys in Law or economics....

You're forgetting that A level law is before Law school and taking economics doesn't just put you into economics.....O_O.

I'd say that economics is the "lowest standard high standard" class if you get what I mean.

Edited by Lux

Reply to Thread