? servers

? players online

University or Full-Time Job?

• Content Count:  6741

Hey,

In a dilemma here. I've been working for a decent IT company since basically when I joined these forums a year and a half ago. The people are nice, the money is pretty decent but I find it slightly boring and can't help wondering, is this it? Is it worth ditching my steady job to become a student once again?

I have loads of friends at University, I feel left out when they go clubbing on a monday/wednesday night when I can't because I have work the next day. I'm considering handing in my resignation and applying for Universities. I wouldn't mind carrying on with what I was studing at college (Information Analytics, Telephony & Desktop Support) but I also wouldn't mind trying something different?

I'd appreciate someone who's been/gone through the UK UCAS system (Paul & others?) to help explain what I need to do to make this happen. I've registered on the UCAS website and have entered in all my personal information, I just need help with finding out how many UCAS points I have, what I need to include in my statement and what to base my preferred Universities on.

Thanks

-Daze

Edited by Daze

• Content Count:  6804

University is a great experience, theres not alot of opportunities where you get to live with and meet so many different people and be lazy at the same time.

What a levels did you get blad?

A2 Level Points:

• A = 120 Points
  • B = 100 Points
  • C = 80 Points
  • D = 60 Points
  • E = 40 points

AS Level points are where you drop the subject after one year, so therefore it gets halfed. For example I took 4 subjects at AS level and dropped one before I went into A2. I got a D in the one I dropped so I got 30 points for it.

All unis vary on different points you need, but you dont neccessairly need the points that the course requires, some uni's will take people on who dont meet the points quota just because they have places that need filling.

But obviously you will have to apply next year if your thinking about going, as it will be too much work to catch up now, about 10th week into the first semester.

Guest barackobama

I was in uni for around 4 years doing my masters degree in hospitality and other things, it was worth it, but in our current situation, even with a uni degree you will not be able to get a job, plus all the debt you will put yourself in, it's not worth it. Stay with your job, get experience. Someone looking for a worker will pick someone with 5 years experience in that job over someone with no experience and a degree :)

• Content Count:  6804

Someone looking for a worker will pick someone with 5 years experience in that job over someone with no experience and a degree :)

Not if its a graduate job.

But I agree that a good starting job will be hard to come by at the current moment. But im sure the economy will be on the up in 3-4 years time and more opportunities will arise.

• Content Count:  6712

^ Also don't make the mistake I made of thinking that you can add AS points to your A2 points in the same subject.

You've got some good job experience under your belt, if you get a good reference then that will show that you're committed and a good worker, as long as you don't apply for anything too high above your points you should get an offer.

It's getting towards a point where you want to apply, before January definitely.

Also if you don't want to carry on doing what you're doing, then you could consider taking a more broad course that has more opportunities (so not Information Analytics, Telephony & Desktop Support...which seemes pretty precise). Or....you could try looking for a course which is mixed.

As for future employment, you've already worked, and by the time whatever course you're doing is finished the job situation will probably be better, and if you can't find anything better than what you have now, you could always go for a job like that again, and there are some schemes in place which help students get jobs when they're finished, if you take a certain course part of that course might be to have work experience somewhere.

Edited by Lux

• Content Count:  4263

The decision is:

Go to Uni, have fun, enjoy being young with others of similar age, come out with a degree that can be used to attain higher salary

Or

Keep working, from now till you are 65+

This may complicate things*

At the college I went to, we didn't do A-levels. We basically did qualifications.

I got:

• ADITP - Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners
  • NVQ Level 3
  • CompTIA A+
  • CompTIA N+
  • MCP
  • MCDST

And "supposedly" currently studying for MCSA.

Where can I find out if they equal to any UCAS points? If not I'll give my old college a ring.

• Content Count:  6712

This may complicate things*

At the college I went to, we didn't do A-levels. We basically did qualifications.

I got:

• ADITP - Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners
  • NVQ Level 3
  • CompTIA A+
  • CompTIA N+
  • MCP
  • MCDST

And "supposedly" currently studying for MCSA.

Where can I find out if they equal to any UCAS points? If not I'll give my old college a ring.

Uni's accept most qualifications, it should be on the UCAS site. http://ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/qualifications

I can't see my exact qualification on there. I've given my college a ring and they are going to get back to me on how many UCAS points my qualifications are worth.

Question: If I have enough points to get in to a certain University, do I have to take a course that pertains to my qualifications?

Reply to Thread