? players online

Heroes to our great nations

• Content Count:  6559

My Father

Army 1st Cav, Artillery and then Journalist for Stars and Stripes

Vietnam Vet. Sergeant First Class. Purple heart for taking mortar shrapnel

My role model

• Content Count:  881

i forgot my 2 grand dads both 1 in ww1 one in ww2 both medals both died of cancer near same time kinda odd the alikeness but they r y i love the us arming and other braches

im related to a caption of the north and general lee from the south

Edit: sry ill just keep ading to this post i keep remembering so yeh im a little tired sry

Edited by Michael Owen

• Content Count:  1384

Great Uncle, WWII, Marines, Fought in the Pacific. Recipient of two Purple Hearts, and a Silver Star. His unit was seizing an air field and got ambushed by machine gun fire. One of his buddy's legs got fucked up really bad and fell down. He didn't realize he was gone until he was across the runway. He ran back into the lead storm and got his friend. And a bullet in the ass!

Sadly, he was killed during one of the last island invasions before the war ended.

And my other great uncle fought in the Battle of The Bulge. He only spoke of what the things he did once, and killed himself slowly with alcohol after the war.

A bit further back, my great-great-great-grandpa (i think that's how many greats it has been...hmm) fought for the Union against all those asshole rebels! ;-)

• Like 1

• Content Count:  6559

My great great Uncle was a Captain in the Army, he was also a Federal Agent that dealt with Native Americans, he killed some of them too, no joke. My White side is Old-School American, but not quite Native (except for the bit of injun blood in us).

Found a quick link about him:

http://www.craterlakeinstitute.com/crater-lake-news/captain-applegate.htm

• Content Count:  2445

My family has a long history of serving in the military dating back to the Revolutionary War, but I'll just say the more recent ones.

Grandfather

Navy, Shore Party

WW2 Vet, also fought in the Pacific. He was at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and being part of shore party was always one of the first men on the beach during the beach assaults. He survived and brought back souvenirs such a a Japanese officer's katana my marine cousin has, and his own helmet which I have. He died in 1999 of complications of a cardiac arrest.

Uncle

Navy, Corpsman.

Vietnam veteran and was a corpsman, so although he was a part of the Navy being a corpsman he was attached to a Marine unit and was a medic. After the war ended, he became a cop and was a border patrol agent for a while where he met my aunt, before becoming a San Diego police department officer with her.

Cousin

Marines, Infantry. 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division.

Iraq/Afghanistan veteran, just got out this year after joining in 2004. picshurz

315540588_l.jpg

^ "Fallujah brat pack". I think you can guess who he is here.

l_5f21d722b598305b35345439104d7615.jpg

This was taken in Afghanistan this year. He's on the left.

l_919d647f3a7e9f2910068b20c0461d75.jpg

l_14bab8d4113f2366550c25eade504cea.jpg

Two more from Afghanistan.

I'm extremely proud of my family.

Edited by LitKey

• Content Count:  1933

I know that my grandpa and uncle are Vietnam vets, dont know anything else though.

But I do know:

Grandpa was put in the brig for three months after he called his Commanding Officer a lier after he was accused of falling asleep on gaurd duty. (He really did fall asleep, stubborn man he is.)

My uncle went AWAL, that war messed him up.

I'm sure more of my family has served, don't know who though.

Edited by SOLANUM

Reply to Thread