? servers

? players online

States

• Content Count:  3343

Nope, but I ask you the same question. After all, what's wrong with California? I'm sure that California's done many more productive things for this nation than the South in the last 100 years :biggrin:

Wow, leave it to avro to be the first person in the thread to try to spark an argument because someone hates his homestate.

• Content Count:  1079

Wow, leave it to avro to be the first person in the thread to try to spark an argument because someone hates his homestate.

...says the guy who himself continues to reply to me. You just posted something as relevant for this thread as the post you criticize. Hypocrite.

---

lmao like what? Dont say anything with gay marriage or weed since those dont count as productive.

1. How are gay rights and legalization/taxation of marijuana not productive? I see many benefits of both. I mean, if you think homosexuals are an abomination to God, then your argument is biased. As for marijuana, have you seen how many fewer deaths there are for marijuana than alcohol? What exactly is wrong with legalizing and taxing marijuana?
  2. California is leading the nation in transportation innovation. For example, California is the first (and I believe it's the only, unless things have changed recently) state to initiate building an intrastate high-speed rail system that would greatly save money in public transportation once it's finished (yes, all plans have the disadvantage of not paying back until a little later; get over it).
  3. California is at the alternative energy forefront on the state and national levels, which is something much of the South hasn't embraced nearly as much as many other states because they still prefer their good ol' SUVs.
  4. California is one of the leading states in environmental recovery and safety. With several others, California is working to establish, protect, and preserve national parks. It's also working harder to recycle and reduce waste than many Southern states to my knowledge.
  5. Many modern companies reside in California for a reason. After all, why would Facebook, Google, Pixar, Disney, etc. be located each in California?

I can continue if you wish; there's much more that I can mention. These were just some quick examples off the top of my head.

So, my immediate two questions are:

1) Has any state in the South done nearly as much as this? Or, for that matter, has the South even considered doing any of the above? Ever?

2) Every time I've done to either of the Carolinas, I encounter so many Dixie flags. When I've talked with native folks from either Carolina, many have told me that Dixie comes fist before Big Brother. Why is that? Perhaps that doesn't apply to you (and I'm sure it doesn't), but how can someone call their state better when a pretty decent majority fights against much of the rest of the nation?

---

The whole argument of "my state is better than yours" is pretty silly. Can we please take this to PMs?

• Content Count:  8383

The whole argument of "my state is better than yours" is pretty silly. Can we please take this to PMs?

No need, all your reasons are not wroth arguing since they all mean nothing imo.

• Content Count:  1079

No need, all your reasons are not wroth arguing since they all mean nothing imo.

So I'm curious: what does mean something? What's important to you?

I'm somewhat surprised that you don't care about money efficiency in transportation, alternative energy, environmental affairs, etc.

---

On-Topic:

It amazes me how everyone from the South likes Southeastern and Southwestern (minus California) states whereas everyone from elsewhere mostly dislikes states that're from the Southeast and Southwest (minus California).

• Content Count:  2034

1. How are gay rights and legalization/taxation of marijuana not productive? I see many benefits of both. I mean, if you think homosexuals are an abomination to God, then your argument is biased. As for marijuana, have you seen how many fewer deaths there are for marijuana than alcohol? What exactly is wrong with legalizing and taxing marijuana?
  2. California is leading the nation in transportation innovation. For example, California is the first (and I believe it's the only, unless things have changed recently) state to initiate building an intrastate high-speed rail system that would greatly save money in public transportation once it's finished (yes, all plans have the disadvantage of not paying back until a little later; get over it).
  3. California is at the alternative energy forefront on the state and national levels, which is something much of the South hasn't embraced nearly as much as many other states because they still prefer their good ol' SUVs.
  4. California is one of the leading states in environmental recovery and safety. With several others, California is working to establish, protect, and preserve national parks. It's also working harder to recycle and reduce waste than many Southern states to my knowledge.
  5. Many modern companies reside in California for a reason. After all, why would Facebook, Google, Pixar, Disney, etc. be located each in California?

I can continue if you wish; there's much more that I can mention. These were just some quick examples off the top of my head.

So, my immediate two questions are:

1) Has any state in the South done nearly as much as this? Or, for that matter, has the South even considered doing any of the above? Ever?

2) Every time I've done to either of the Carolinas, I encounter so many Dixie flags. When I've talked with native folks from either Carolina, many have told me that Dixie comes fist before Big Brother. Why is that? Perhaps that doesn't apply to you (and I'm sure it doesn't), but how can someone call their state better when a pretty decent majority fights against much of the rest of the nation?

1) Gay Rights is a debate that's been going on for quite some time and to leave political leanings out of this, the debate will continue to go on. Just because California has flip flopped between legalizing and outlawing gay marriage several times doesn't mean they have accomplished a lot.

2) Marijuana has more carcinogens than cigarettes (More long term studies need to be done for exact results imo) and legalization is still iffy. Decriminalization maybe, but full scale legalization clashes with federal law.

3) High speed rail in the South? http://www.sehsr.org/

4) Alternative energy is a fad. Until you can link me to a commercially viable and fully functioning alternative energy source for say automobiles, shut it. Hybrids are better on MPG, but electricity comes from somewhere, unless you have a wind-powered car in mind. And if you're going to stereotype the whole South about "big SUVs" it should be pickup trucks, not Hummers. A pickup is more practical.

5) Location is location. You have Silicon Valley, congrats. California consistently ranks in the bottom of the Tax Foundation's reports on the most business friendly states, so don't puff up your state pride that much.

6) North Carolina is the birthplace of flight, so every time you fly on that nice plane from California to wherever you vacation, think of us. Gatling Gun? Richard Gatling, born in North Carolina. The bar code, Ctrl + Alt + Delete, Vicks Vaporub, Texas Pete, Pepsi, all North Carolina. Sweet tea, better than that Northern crap they call Iced Tea.

The list could go on and on, the South has contributed more than you know and I've only talked about North Carolina.

7) The Civil War was over a century ago, get over it. Just because you have some view that we're all ungrateful, inbred, unintelligent, rabble rousing rednecks doesn't mean you're right. In fact, Charlotte (North Carolina) is the banking capital of the entire United States. It's the 2nd biggest financial city behind New York City. The Research Triangle Park in my home city has been a huge base for many technology companies, take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park

8) Lastly, I'd ask you to take the stick out of your ass and get off your high horse. California is one of the most debt ridden and bass ackward states in the US right now because of the propositions that y'all love so much. I'd take North Carolina over California any day.

Edit: Did I mention NC is the most military friendly state housing the biggest Marine base in the States with several Army/Air Force/Navy/Coast guard bases?

Edited by SgtJoo

Reply to Thread