? servers

? players online

States

• Content Count:  8383

So I'm curious: what does meaning something? What's important to you?

I'm somewhat surprised that you don't care about money efficiency in transportation, alternative energy, environmental affairs, etc.

Money efficiency in Cali? This is the same state that is over ran with unions making the cost of living a lot higher then its really worth. They sure do know how to manage that money. lol

On-Topic:

It amazes me how everyone from the South likes Southeastern and Southwestern (minus California) states whereas everyone from elsewhere mostly dislikes states that're from the Southeast and Southwest (minus California).

Its what you know and what your beliefs are, if a state goes against what you support in another state then of course you will dislike that other state. Some though dont have much good reasoning for hating some states for example those who hate my state are too funny considering most who visit (Either tourist or military service) usually end up moving here to live since condition of living is good and enjoyable in most parts. Just personal opinions.

Edited by Drox

• Content Count:  1079

Meh. There're many reasons for why that's going on. But I guarantee that, if the immigration problems were worked out, things would be better. There're far too many resources being wasted on that topic, and I wish a decision would just be made. Until then, yeah, the housing isn't great. But case in point, my argument here is that California's been historically more innovative; at least we're trying ideas that will help out and work. I know there's more innovation and research in California than in Mississippi or South Carolina.

:nuts:

1. It's more than what NC and others are doing. But, at the point, you and I need to define what constitutes "a lot"; to me, when other states are having a harder time to push gay rights through state legislature while California has had higher success, that's accomplishing more.
  2. Legalizing marijuana is a bit touchy, but only because it'd be conflicting with federal law. Why couldn't federal law change? Furthermore, read this and this (I'll admit those sources aren't PhD-valid, but there's worthy of being brought up).
  3. My point on the high-speed rail wasn't that the South lacks it. My point was that California was the first to introduce the idea. SEHSR got its idea from somewhere.
  4. When did I mention hybrid cars? I was talking about solar panels on roofs, or hydro-electric dams, or hydro-powered cards, or
    (which are just some of the many examples). Furthermore, isn't the needed electricity for a typical hybrid cheaper than if one was the buy gas? Don't assume I was taking about cars; there are many more places where alternative energies are quite applicable and could make a significant different.
  5. Fair enough. How's the South doing in that regard? Not only that, but if California treats businesses in a way that's less favorable than other states, why haven't Facebook and Google and Pixar moved? Why has no major international corporation settled in NC? If I'm wrong, please provide an example.
  6. For one, the Wright Brothers didn't operate in North Carolina after Kittyhawk. Yes, the first operational Wright Flyer was in North Carolina, but then again, location is location. NC had nothing to do with the Wrights' success. They worked in Ohio and elsewhere in the nation; you can't grab their credit because of one successful flight test. Furthermore, I can honestly play that game too: Steve Jobs made the first personal computer in California; Charles P. Ginsburg developed the first practical videotape recorder in California; the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, California invented WD-40; Theodore Harold Maiman made the first working laser; and so on. Seriously, inventions made in one's Sate don't make that state better by an means.
  7. Yeah, okay. And I've only talked about California. What about the other "North" states? What about New York and Massachusetts and Pennsylvania? I can play that game with the other. As far the Civil War is concerned, what the fuck? That's a little hypocritical, isn't it? My views have nothing to do with the Civil War or redneck stereotypes. No, my issue isn't with "the stupid rednecks down there". My issue is with the conservative opinion. Don't call me ignorant when you yourself assumed that I had a stereotype. I live in Kansas as a Californian for fuck's sake; I have plenty of experience with the overall GOP/conservative mindset. Though, thank God you don't listen to Rush Limbaugh like some people around where I live (or do you? :[ ). Moreover, I never said that the South was useless, did I? No, I said that, in my opinion, California has been historically more innovative. When did I ever say that people from the South are unintelligible, incapable, and have nothing to offer? When I responded to Drox by saying that the South (not California) was "everything wrong with this country", I meant this: it's that very attitude which makes the South shitty. I hear almost all the time for people around me how evil the government is and how terrible the president is. Guess who put us into the position that Obama's trying to dig us out of? Who keeps filibuster-ing everything the other party does so that little to no progress is never made? Who keeps playing the blame game and never takes blame themself? Who keeps demanding plans be made to fix the problems but offers little to no practical plans themself? Who thinks the world can fuck off because it's all about America? The GOP. Ohshi— †
  8. You criticize how I'm too prideful. If you weren't proud to be Southern, then why you spend the time to respond? You're just as guilty as I am in regard to being proud of your homestate, so you're on the same high horse. In each of our opinions, the general public opinion of each other's state is "ass backward". For example, I don't understand why people want to lower taxes so significantly when that would only strain our government more; on the other hand, you don't see why homosexuals should have the right to marry, so I guess you and I can agree to disagree.
  9. How many military bases does California have? How many Californians have I met—including myself—who greatly support our troops?

---

† If you're not GOP, then I understand and apologize. But, like how you assume I think all Southerners are rednecks, I assume you support the GOP.

• Content Count:  2034

---

† If you're not GOP, then I understand and apologize. But, like how you assume I think all Southerners are rednecks, I assume you support the GOP.

1) We can agree to disagree on gay rights. (protip: I'm pro gay rights)

2) Sometimes the government needs to regulate in certain areas where people aren't capable of making a sound decision or where the people may not have all the facts. That being said, I actually am in favor of legalizing marijuana, always have been.

3) I'd say California got the idea from Japan, the TGV in France and the rest of Europe. In addition, the USDOT defines the Amtrak Acela (in the Northeast) as the only high speed rail currently operational in the US.

4) The water powered car site seems extremely gimmicky to me... and the only truly viable alternative energy is solar/wind power. And no, the electricity can be costlier to the environment (coming from a coal plant) rather than gas. Not to mention the rare earth metals required to make hybrids + shipping of parts = more waste than is saved. Then we get into global warming debates, but I digress.

5) Bank of America (Fortune 500, HQ: Charlotte, NC)

BB&T (Fortune 500, HQ: Winston Salem, NC)

Duke Energy (Fortune 500, HQ: Charlotte, NC)

Goodrich (Fortune 500, HQ: Charlotte, NC)

Lowe's Home Improvement (Fortune 500, HQ: Mooresville, NC)

RJ Reynold's Tobacco (NC is famous for tobacco, second biggest tobacco company [uS])

Wachovia (Now owned by Wells Fargo, HQ: Charlotte, NC)

6) You asked about accomplishments, I was merely providing some.

7) Meh, I can hate on the GOP, I'm not Republican. Democrats are assclowns too.

8) You're assuming too much, my political views don't fall into the conservative stance for too much besides foreign policy.

9) Merely pointing out another fact about North Carolina.

If you want to talk to a conservative, go talk to Dracula.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1845

ya im surprised this isn't moved yet.

-southerners put dixie before country and your mad we think you're all rednecks? then you tell me to get over the civil war? The SOUTH are the ones who need to get over it.

-I as a liberal, i assume i'm liberal, find some talking points by conservatives are valid. I no longer think americans won't do the illegals jobs. I can't recall a conservative giving in and seeing a liberals side to things and saying "you know you might be right lets try it"

and this is why i avoided the political argument and pm'd drox to confirm our homosexuals feelings for one another even tho he started it. =P

• Content Count:  1079

Y'know what? You and I could seriously go back and forth on this. Unless you really want to continue (via PM!), I'll just stop. At this point, the whole thing's somewhat moot; each state has pros and cons, and opinions will probably continue to conflict. That said, I offer this as a friendly gesture:

Checkmate. That's it, I'm moving to North Carolina.

Also: I didn't know your views, so that's another fault of mine. Apparently, you and I think alike more than I thought. Thankfully, right? :thumb:

By the way, since you are more "left" than I thought, can you at least explain to me why folks there still love Dixie? I've never understood. :/

[/end debate]

• Content Count:  3343

ITT, 'someone hates my homestate, insult person who hates my homestate by making their homestate insignificant.'

im from ohio psyche, does that tell you why?

You hate your own state? Where in Ohio do you live?

...says the guy who himself continues to reply to me. You just posted something as relevant for this thread as the post you criticize. Hypocrite.

This thread was supposed to be about which states you do/don't like, other then that there really wan't anything else to contribute but comment on others opinions, you managed to do that but look like a [REMOVED] in the process.

Now that this 'argument' is over I would like to comment on keylin's map. Are the oranges there tasty.

Edited by Psyche

Reply to Thread