? servers

? players online

How small we really are

• Content Count:  4198

But what the fuck is containing the universe? And what is outside that glass jar containing what we see in those pics? :/

And again, if you can answer that - what is outside of THAT? And so on? D:

Well I think that the layman understanding of it is that the universe itself is comprised of space-time and matter. Matter, depending on its mass and ergo gravitational force, manipulates space-time around it.

If one were to look at the universe as a whole it would simply be space-time expanding. As the overall level of space-time present increases (or perhaps stretches), the matter within it shifts appropriately. This is the general basis for the theory that all the galaxies are continually moving away from one another and, given enough time, could in fact lead to the 'big freeze' and be the prime factor for the cessation of all life.

Trying to comprehend outside the realm of our understanding and attempting to figure out what the universe is expanding into is like trying to imagine a timeless existence; our brains just cannot think that way, as we always have and most likely always will view our world as having a 'rate of change' (time).

• Content Count:  470

One random possibility I've come up with is that space and time are basically infinite, and the "universe" is just a clump of matter in this infinite space-time. This would mean that there could be multiple "universes" in the sense that we know them, but we can't exactly see or prove their existence as we aren't even able to see the edge of our own universe.

No idea if that was disproved already...

• Content Count:  4550

One random possibility I've come up with is that space and time are basically infinite, and the "universe" is just a clump of matter in this infinite space-time. This would mean that there could be multiple "universes" in the sense that we know them, but we can't exactly see or prove their existence as we aren't even able to see the edge of our own universe.

No idea if that was disproved already...

So you were the first person to come up with that theory?

I always find any explanation of the universe in itself is just open to massive scrutiny. How can we at this moment in time even begin to theorize what could be when there's so many different possibilites out there. It's like trying to comprehend what 'God' is. Nobody knows, we just imagine, and I think it will always be imagination for as long as we exist.

Any life we could find near us (and by near I mean our solar system) will at best be microbial. Look for water, and there's a possibilty of life.

• Content Count:  8383

2GNkazRo-tE

Let your mind be blown (Click on video for the other parts in related videos.) Not only do we have our own universe but they believe there are others beyond our own.

As for how big our own universe is, is beyond our knowledge since its always expanding and we have yet to really discover everything so there is probably even bigger things out there. This makes space a very awesome place since there is almost always something new around every inch of it.

• Like 1
Edited by Drox

• Content Count:  1980

Well one theory is that the Universe is an ever expanding dust cloud which keeps expanding until it reaches a point where it caves in itself, thus ending the universe and containing all the matter into one pressurized area. Then theres a huge bang and thus a new universe is born.

Reply to Thread