? servers

? players online

I have the worst room mate

• Content Count:  1158

For more than a year, I've shared an apartment with my best friend. We've generally had great fun, but the past few days changed a lot in this relationship.

He's studying Russian at the local university, and therefore he went to Russia Tuesday to have a semester in Russia. I've known this since we got the apartment, and we've looked into different arrangements while he is gone. We talked it over and decided that the best solution was to let me pay most (90 per cent) of the rent in the four months he's gone and then use his room for guests and a study room. He could leave all his furniture and would therefore pay a bit of rent. We both seemed happy with this arrangement, so we made it so about half a year ago. We didn't speak about it since Christmas.

We had an argument exactly a week ago, when he left several stacks of dirty dishes in our small common kitchen for more than 24 hours. I told him to do it asap and he just responded that it wasn't his problem and if I had a problem with it, I could do it myself. He left 50 mins later, of course without doing anything about the dishes. I decided to go stay at my moms place (100 kms away) and take the train to work until he left five days later, since I was tired of his bullshit. Then Saturday, he sent me a text saying he was going to rent out his room, a solution I made it very clear I would not accept. I kept saying that I expected him to keep his word and that he could leave the key in the mailbox when he left. He made several threats and finally said that I could move out and get professional help, if I had a problem.

We didn't speak for a few days, so I was excited to see if the key was in the mailbox when I got home Wednesday night. It wasn't.

He had emptied his bathroom closet and his shelve on the fridge, but left his kitchen cabinet full of food. Also, his door was locked. I was quite confused, but I was pleased that there wasn't a complete stranger, at least.

Now it's been two days and I haven’t seen anyone there yet, so I'm really confused about his plans, but I looked through our apartment contract, and it clearly states that we can't rent out the apartment and the only persons who's allowed to live in it is the ones on the contract ie him and I.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do, especially if he doesn't pays for his room in the following months, so I'm going to be quite busy with it the next couple of weeks. I'll therefore not be on as much as I'd like :(

Tl;dr: Don't stick your dick in crazy.

• Content Count:  561

Maybe he has some problems with his personal life, and he would rather not talk about. Maybe you did something wrong and upset him even if you didn't notice, try talk to him about this. If he doesn't react to anything, you could be a complete asshole and screw his life.

• Content Count:  1158

Maybe he has some problems with his personal life, and he would rather not talk about. Maybe you did something wrong and upset him even if you didn't notice, try talk to him about this. If he doesn't react to anything, you could be a complete asshole and screw his life.

I asked him several times what his problem was with the deal we made, but he refused to give me an answer and istead said shit like "What deal, Emil?".

I also fail to see how telling him to do his own dishes is offending him, and especially justifying him running away from a half year old deal.

• Content Count:  5086

He sounds like a real douche to me, you were being nice and he took advantage of it. Probably better off he left or it could have been worse down the road.

This.

Whatever his situation or problem is almost irrelevant as you both signed a binding contract. I would contact your landlord(whatever it's called there) and explain the situation about how your roommate left for 4 months, is trying to rent the room out to a complete stranger and took the keys with him, doesn't plan on paying his rent so you're unsure of his plans. Maybe they can provide you copies or change the locks, or evict you both for breaking contract. Unfortunately though, I've seen so many times best friends room together and it always ends up bad.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  984

This.

Whatever his situation or problem is almost irrelevant as you both signed a binding contract. I would contact your landlord(whatever it's called there) and explain the situation about how your roommate left for 4 months, is trying to rent the room out to a complete stranger and took the keys with him, doesn't plan on paying his rent so you're unsure of his plans. Maybe they can provide you copies or change the locks, or evict you both for breaking contract. Unfortunately though, I've seen so many times best friends room together and it always ends up bad.

This.

Depending on how lame your landlord is, you can probably have them write you up an contract for a smaller apartment.

Reply to Thread