? servers

? players online

Thought of the day

• Content Count:  1385

Don't do anything without an obvious gain to yourself.

You either get paid, get experience or some other useful thing for your work.

Since last Tuesday until this week's Monday I was helping organize a LAN Party (Biggest one in the Baltics with over 500+ participants daily and over 10k euros and 20k euro worth of gear as prizes).

I've slept around 25 hours as a result since then, my entire body is killing me right now. I wired up all the electricity and set up the internet for the LAN. (configured 36 switches myself and they're all different... fuck~)

After it all ended and we needed to clean up. Of the 50 or so volunteers that were there mostly playing and sometimes rarely doing any work, only 6 stuck out to help clean up after the thing. To give you a feeling of how big the entire thing was:

6c9478c65a3e6842c610864343e83bd0.png

(there were 3 other rooms as well, though not nearly as big)

Everything you see there, excluding the stage, had to be all packed up and loaded onto a truck (took us 9 trips to get it all back). What you don't see is the miles of fucking cables running around everywhere. The 36 switches that took nearly 24h to configure, the server that took ages to config, the power cables that run along everywhere, the fiber wire that is around a mile long that we duct taped and hoped no one would fucking touch it because it'd cut the entire internet off, all the prizes and computers in the rooms and blablabla.

And guess what, while we were working our asses off trying to clean up and pack shit up. There were people at home who were thinking about what to wear to the afterparty. So fuck them thoroughly in the arse.

I guess I do have bragging right that we coordinated the biggest lan, a lan that had the most people in all of it's 15 years of existence, though that's it. People were actually angry with us (the ones that didn't help) that we took so long and it cost us around 200 euros more for the truck and other stuff.

Don't do shit you don't get something back from. God knows I am not doing this again for a half assed "Thanks".

• Like 3

Reply to Thread