? servers

? players online

Bare Essentials for Living Yourself

• Content Count:  4550

Can you not figure this stuff out yourself? If you're old enough to be kicked out then you should know what you need...

-knife

-fork

-spoon

-pan

-cup

-dish

-fridge

-freezer

-washing machine

etc etc......

• Content Count:  6466

I doubt his parents are just going to let him waltz out of the house with a washing machine and freezer.

He said he has a place to live, so appliances are useless to take along. All you need is toothbrush/toothpaste/soap/shampoo. If you need to bring your own fork/spoon/knife/bowl/cup to wherever you're living, why the fuck are you going to live there?

• Content Count:  930

I doubt his parents are just going to let him waltz out of the house with a washing machine and freezer.

He said he has a place to live, so appliances are useless to take along. All you need is toothbrush/toothpaste/soap/shampoo. If you need to bring your own fork/spoon/knife/bowl/cup to wherever you're living, why the fuck are you going to live there?

Because it's an empty house...? That I will have to pay the bills for. If I'm lucky it will be furnished. I'm not stupid, but I wasn't brought up prepared to be thrown out to live for myself.

• Content Count:  2390

Two or more of each:

Plates

Bowls

Cups

Forks

Spoons

Knives (1 normal, 1 butter)

1 Spatulas

1 Scoop (Giant Cooking Spoon)

1 Frying pan

1 Cooking Pot

1 Oven Pan

Dish soap and a cloth to wash with.

2 Hand towels

2 Normal Towels

Toothbrush/Toothpaste/Deodorant (Floss if you use it)

Soap/Shampoo

Food

Thats it for small things, after that they get bigger, and more expensive.

Edited by Bullet Wound

• Content Count:  426

make sure to get a list of whatever utility places are there. be sure to call them and let them know you are moving in and to change it to your name.

other than that all you need is bed stuff, clothes, plates/stuff to cook with, cups, stuff to clean with, toilet paper, food, stuff to shower with, and stuff along those lines.

good luck.

oh.. and quarters for laundry. :p

• Content Count:  2427

Question: Do you have a job?

Answer1: If you responded, "No" to the above question, you may want to consider getting one. In fact, use that Spatch-u-lar that Bullet requested and put it to good use in one of your many local fast food's.

Answer2: There is no answer 2, get a job.

Question2: Do you smell?

Answer1: If you responded, "Yes" to the above question, you may want to consider buying the said Soap and Shampoo stated by XeNo and several others. Upon completion of a shower, you will have a better chance at securing your position as a burger flipper.

Answer2: Again, there is no answer 2, I simply enjoy making a clear point.

Best of luck!

• Content Count:  1300

if you are new to the utilities game, remember to budget for the expenses and remember to pay them as soon as you get your next paycheck. yes you might be short for the latest zomg must have, but dinking your credit and having no power for days is not a fun thing.

also plan to spend about 500 a month on overall costs. that assumes no rent. if there is rent, add that on top. it may be cheaper, but thats about the norm.

get used to turning off anything you dont need on. running the heat high or the AC cold is basically bending over for your utility company.

Eating out for a meal is about the same cost as buying 3 meals at the grocery store. start cutting coupons or shopping for deals online before you go looking. there are big savings to be had if you look.

dont go shopping hungry, you impulse buy and thats bad.

if you dont know how to do laundry, or you are unfamiliar with the machines, RTFM (read the fucking manual) or ask for help. overflowing gallons of water and soap is NOT fun. nor is cleaning it up after.

if you have to make big purchases, or you have extra money, prioritize them.

things that make you better able to do important or other jobs/tasks are better then things that simply are one more thing.

for example. 500 bucks on a bed is alot better buy then 500 bucks on a TV, because the bed will get you the rest you need to work/feel better.

start looking at things you can do without. ie you may not need the better TV packages, or even need TV, much of what you want to see can be streamed legally off the network sites, or places like hulu or espn360 etc etc.

learn to cook. it might not be the best stuff you enjoy eating, but you get good nutrition and it saves money.

keep up with whatever stuff you need. delaying now means expenses down the road that might be much higher.

lastly buy a good multi vitamin and take it. being sick is bad, but being malnourished because you are eating poorly and living alone means you get sick alot more, or just feel worse.

Reply to Thread