? servers

? players online

Kane's Wrath Thread

• Content Count:  2936

Hello:

Those of you that know me know I love RTS gaming. Some folks on this site have played online matches with me on various games (and in some cases, patched all night only to not be able to play because we had to get up in 4 hours for work/school). Currently, several games that we play are going into "expansion and sequel" mode. DOW recently put out a new expansion, SoulStorm, which I reviewed on this site, Supcom put out a new expansion earlier in 2007, Forged alliance... Company of heroes has put out a new expansion in q3 2007: opposing fronts... now, CC3 is putting out Kane's wrath... basically cc3.5 it appears to be.

Here is a few previews to this game: http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandconquer3kaneswrath/news.html?sid=6184146&mode=previews

Now, a few here know of my proclivities with EA, and my dislike of their shoddy, oft-broken release games... I play BF2, 2-3 years after it came out, bf1942 is the closest to a "GOOD" non-constantly-crashing game that they have put out on their own... BFME 1, 2, etc. are okay, but again, the games are wildly unstable at times, making online play nearly undesirable.

The CC series and I have had a largely love/hate relationship... since my initial foray into the CC world, with Tiberium Sun/Firestorm back in 2000, and red alert series in entirety afterwards. I've honestly loved the CC games made by westwood, and still play them at times.. When CC generals came out, I liked it, but it felt wildly different from the initial CC games that I played. The actual storyline was rather weak compared to previous CC games, and I felt that EA copped out in just selecting the "near future war in unspecified-istan with random arab army" as a main storyline... China seemed more like walmart than an actual world power, and well.. it seemed as if the whole thing was rather forced.

The expansion "Zero Hour" was interesting in the additional powers and playing styles available to some of the US armies, but largely, the gameplay for the arabs and the chinese remained unchanged... basically different attack and defense values and a very overpowered chinese infantryman with the equivalent to a vulcan cannon on foot serving as the mainstay unit in the game... In my opinion wildly unbalancing the game.

CC3 was interesting, I waited quite a while to buy it, and im not as impressed as I was by the initial CC games I played. This is linked largely to the fact that the world of RTS gaming has moved forward past the "Go get ore and build stuff" to actual strategy on holding points, conserving unit size, etc.

Add this to the fact that the Nod and GDI lineup remains largely unchanged from the general formula in other games, and I am led to believe that EA just kind of made a prettier version of CC, with some elements of generals added... and kicked the game out the door.

Now, the EA monolith is planning 3.5 i suppose, with alternate set ups of the current armies as "factions" something like what we saw in Zero Hour.

From what I have seen there doesnt seem to be a great deal of content being added here. Rather they are recycling, from what I currently see.

Does anyone else see this? What do you all think of the CC3, and the new additions coming down the pike?

Basically will this be worth spending 30-50 USD on....

• Content Count:  1230

From what I have seen there doesnt seem to be a great deal of content being added here. Rather they are recycling, from what I currently see.

Does anyone else see this? What do you all think of the CC3, and the new additions coming down the pike?

Basically will this be worth spending 30-50 USD on....

Yeah, I see that EA has just been recycling their older stuff, basically repeating the story line in a newer updated version. I'm going to stay away from Kane's Wrath until it goes on sale. Maybe at $25 I'll bite. The new Red Alert is the one I'm waiting for and I will gladly dish out full price for it.

• Content Count:  3440

Yeah, I see that EA has just been recycling their older stuff, basically repeating the story line in a newer updated version. I'm going to stay away from Kane's Wrath until it goes on sale. Maybe at $25 I'll bite. The new Red Alert is the one I'm waiting for and I will gladly dish out full price for it.

I'm with Zero on this one.

• Content Count:  6559

EA doesn't "recycle" stuff, that's nonsense.

Just look at bf 2 spec ops expansion, or bf 2142 which was basically a mod for bf2.

Wait nvm.

• Content Count:  602

yeah well, EA recycles sometimes...

But they do put out some really good games now and then.

Just FYI, I really thought CNC3 was a huge step forward from other games in the series. The graphics were beautiful, the story made me remember the good old FMV sequences of the first tiberium war, and the unit tree was pretty good too (liked the new race).

It wasn't revolutionary, but few games are these days...

sequel will probably be a total recycle, but lets wait before passing final judgment...

• Content Count:  2936

Just FYI, I really thought CNC3 was a huge step forward from other games in the series. The graphics were beautiful, the story made me remember the good old FMV sequences of the first tiberium war, and the unit tree was pretty good too (liked the new race).

We are all entitled to an opinion. I cant really agree however. Much like with women, pretty only gets you so far. Im still pissed by the fact that flame infantry and rifle infantry in concentration can take a mammoth out...wtf is that about. They need to stop that crap already. Further, the online multiplayer maps lack sufficient resources to make the games pitched enough for excitement... I think they havent moved the game play up at all from TD/TS back in the late 90s imho. I bought it, ill still play it online, but EA has done the westwood classic a disservice. I would have preferred THQ or Sega/TotalWar Studios have scooped up this project, and the CC series in general rather than EA. While THQ may be a smaller company in size, they have a higher quality level in game creation, and many of their games have a much higher replay value...and most important, they make an EFFORT at least to not put out broken games, and patch AFTER the fact.

Im sorry, but EA has pissed me off to a great degree over the years with that.

• Content Count:  2645

Sorry i wont touch a RTS game from EA. They screwed the Westwood Title of C&C.

QUOTE FOR FUCKING TRUTH! ^^ The original command and conquer series games were amazing, they still are. Yes, nod loves to use flame troops to attack tanks, and often, they succeed :p.

EA ruined it, because even though they released a collection of the game series (called the first decade), al they could care about was patching the later games like generals, I read on the EA forums as to how many people complain that the older games will not work/keep crashing. That is just BS, because EA can't be bothered to release a DECENT patch for tiberium dawn/red alert, to fix bugs that crash the games.

Edited by James

• Content Count:  4123

CnC 3 Tiberium Wars is great but hardly any new units, Kanes Wrath is adding something like 9 new sub factions, a slew of new units, epic units. I loved how they added the Scrin Invasion and the story in CnC 3. I've been playing dawn of war which there is now like 4 expansion packs for it, thats crazy and they plan to continue supporting the game like this. Currently playing Dark Crusade.

I've noticed EA Patch cycle does not last long for most of their games, For instance BF 2 where there has been no new patches in a long time. This is where companies like Blizzard and THQ go above and beyond to support their games. One thing that ticked me off about CnC 3 online was the desync issues which is supposedly fixed in Kanes Wrath.

I'm really looking forward to red alert 3 and Starcraft 2 (The Zerg Return, new trailer out for it by the way at gamespot.com).

From everything I've watched and seen about Kanes Wrath the game delivers where CnC 3 fell short, they put a lot of work in to this expansion pack working hard to please fans.

• Content Count:  1230

Just what I was waiting for.

You can pick up Kane's Wrath for $17.99 at Circuit City. There's also a 10% off coupon if you order it online. Further note, the official release date for Red Alert 3 is November 11th. Some stores are already taking pre-orders.

Edited by Zero001

Reply to Thread