? servers

? players online

Barefoot running...

• Content Count:  537

Apprently this is the "new" kind of running. You run in barefoot and take small steps so you don't put alot of weight on the feet. Also instead of landing on the heel when running in shoes, you need to land closer to flat foot.

Now I have run every 2nd day to not get in tottaly bad shape, and I figured I'll try this new thing. I did try it and it felt wierd. Still learning how to land the foot but that's not what I wanna walk about.

No what I wanna talk about is the heat. (Yes once again...)

As I mentioned before this summer is extremely hawt and the sun is insane. But that is actually the problem in my case. You see yesterday I wanted to try this again. And the first part of it went fine. Then half way through I feel my feet burning. I figured I was tired already and it was just because of that. Turns out I was wrong. Now my mom is a nurse and I told her about this since hours after it still kept burning. She now told me that I had gotten burn marks on my feet most likely because of the sun that had heated the road.

This is not to blame the sun or anything. All I'm saying is that if you are going to try this new running you should be careful. First of all your body and feet need to adjust slowly. And second where you running and what the klima is.

Other then that I think you should try this out since I found it harder in a way. But also alot less hard. The run is hard but the aftermath wasn't. The shoes running did give me the less pain during and alot after. But I think that barefoot running is betteronce you get used to it

• Content Count:  1079

Try using some Vibram Five Fingers if you really must run barefoot.

My father uses the KSO model. The Vibram shoes are really good and comfortable. I myself am still contemplating whether to get one.

Spjerre: If you're serious about this, be sure to get these shoes; they're just as good as "real" barefoot running. And, with FiveFingers, you can go anywhere (though it may be embarrassing) while still walking "barefoot" without worry of stepping on something harmful/sharp.

…Also instead of landing on the heel [like] when [someone runs] in shoes.…

Now, onto your actual message, lemme first say that my dad and I are runners at heart and enjoy Cross Country. We also work on technique, specifically concerning the feet. Since I started running with my dad several years ago, I've never walked on my heels, even in tennis/running shoes; you don't have to be barefoot to have good posture and walk "correctly". Knowing that, I also want to make one correction before moving on: never—and I mean never—run on your heels, even when in shoes; you can ask any true good runner and they will tell you that running on your heels with shoes/spikes on will not only make you slower, but also cause damage to your body later in your life. You should always land your feet on the "flat" part of your foot as best as possible.

Anyways, my main point was this: Don't be dumb and think through these things. Don't mean to sound harsh, but barefoot running is unfortunately hard to do nowadays. Running on rough, hot roads is not a good idea when you haven't been barefoot running for a long time.

Our bodies have become so accustomed to shoes by the time we're ages 3 or 4 that our feet start to "forget" how to walk "like they did for our ancestors." In order to train your feet into a good state for barefoot running, go to a park or any place with a lot of grass/soft terrain. If the ground's bumpy, that's okay. What you're looking for is cushioning for your feet. Thus, also keep in mind that your feet can only take so much of this barefoot running during the first few months. If your feet are hurting really bad (meaning that they're sore, but necessarily hurting for a burn ;] ), then stop, get home as quickly as home, give your feet a break, and wear shoes for the rest of the day when you need to. You can resume your training the next day.

Moving on, the basic idea for training oneself into barefoot running is:

1. First run on soft terrain so that you can build calluses and get your feet used to the idea of barefoot running. You want to do this for about a month, maybe slightly less or slightly more than. For example, go to a local park and run barefoot there on the grass or anything soft, avoiding sidewalks or concrete unless you're walking.
  2. When your feet have stopped aching and when you can run for a (very) long time barefoot on soft terrain, slowing move onto roads and other hard surfaces. Like how you spent a long time training your body to run without shoes on soft places, it's time you did the same on hard surfaces. Also make sure your have good posture and good running form with your feet (e.g., you run on your balls of the feet instead of the heels). Running incorrectly on hard surfaces will not only hurt short-term, but will damage you in the long run.

If you do it correctly, your feet should eventually become tough enough and "shaped" properly where you can run anywhere barefoot without a lot of pain or issues. Just remember to have "grow" those calluses and take care of your feet!

There is a book that has some good info on this subject. The book also goes further into depth than I have here and will explain things much better. Here's the wiki page.

And, here's something that NPR did with that author about running (etc.) that I heard awhile ago on the radio. There was an hour-long show with Chris on my local station last month, but I unfortunately cannot find it.

Apprently this is the "new" kind of running.…

Oh! One more correction. Barefoot running is not new. Not at all. It's been around for a long time. The only reason many are thinking that it's "new" is because the "movement" has been picking up momentum over the past 5-10 years. Why? Because, like how people are trying to eat healthier after decades of fast food, people are trying to return to the "natural human state-of-being" where our feet don't rely on shoes. Oh, and because there are many benefits to barefoot running, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Sorry, Potshot. But if you train correctly, ringworm won't be an issue after some time. Why did our ancestors never have serious issues (or, for that matter, never die) from things like ringworm when they ran barefoot?

===

All criticism aside, I hope you succeed in this goal, man! It's a great new lifestyle to achieve and I wish you best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions, need advice, etc.

Sincerely,

A Running Enthusiast

• Like 1

• Content Count:  537

All criticism aside, I hope you succeed in this goal, man! It's a great new lifestyle to achieve and I wish you best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions, need advice, etc.

Sincerely,

A Running Enthusiast

Thanks for the mature advice, Avro. But here in Denmark it was recently new and my sister just told me so little about it that I rushed into trying it without doing the right things.

If I should ever need any help on this I'll send you a PM

Also those shoes remind me of Mirror's Edge. Never thought about what they ran in until I saw the picture

• Content Count:  498

barefoot running is for poor people

Barefoot running has been scientifically proven to increase stamina and ease running lol. It's the reasons why the French (?) runners of the forest or whatever could run so far in such a short amount of time lol. And barefoot is win, btw :d

Reply to Thread