? servers

? players online

Barefoot running...

• Content Count:  6712

Barefoot running has been scientifically proven to increase stamina and ease running lol. It's the reasons why the French (?) runners of the forest or whatever could run so far in such a short amount of time lol. And barefoot is win, btw :d

Riding a motorbike without a helmet has been scientifically proven to decrease weight and improve visibility.....but that doesn't mean it's not the best thing to do.

Meh....either way roads get really hot in the Summer and I've found this out many times on holiday where I've gone out with no sandals or shoes and had to run around from shade to shade to avoid getting burnt feet.

• Content Count:  2959

Sorry, Potshot. But if you train correctly, ringworm won't be an issue after some time. Why did our ancestors never have serious issues (or, for that matter, never die) from things like ringworm when they ran barefoot?

... The same reason you don't hear about problems with epilepsy, arthritis, food allergies, or sepsis. They either didn't know what it was, didn't bother recording it, or just plain died too soon.

• Content Count:  1079

... The same reason you don't hear about problems with epilepsy, arthritis, food allergies, or sepsis. They either didn't know what it was, didn't bother recording it, or just plain died too soon.

Says who? What if "patient had strange red circle on face" meant what we now call ringworm? You and I could debate that all day long.

Regardless, my point was this: if you run barefoot long enough, your body will create defenses and build immunity against ringworm and other fungi/bacteria/etc. How is it that my dad walked barefoot as forest ranger in the Sierras and never got warts (or worse, for that matter) after the first two months?

If someone gets ringworm, you treat it and move on because of your immune system.

Besides, I ask you (and Potshot too, if he cares): Have either of you ran/walked barefoot?

Maybe, or maybe he got lucky. Either way there's other things you don't want to be stepping in such as hookworm and sharp objects.

Agreed.

Granted, stepping into sharp objects falls generally into the category of "failing at common sense". :amuse:

yes, because all sharp objects are instantly and easily seen while on the ground in grass or when its the same color as the asphalt..

So then, you're telling me that, if you're looking down ahead of you in order to see what you're stepping on, you're alwyas going to step into something you shouldn't?

Sorry, but if you're going to run in thick knee-high grass, you shouldn't be running barefoot in it. As for mowed grass and asphalt, be sharp and alert. I've run barefoot many times in the Sierras, on roads, on grass, in parks, on sidwalks and so forth, and I have never stepped on glass or sharp objects. Are you going to say, "Well that's just because you were lucky"? Maybe some of it was luck, but it's also called situational awareness.

Again: Have you ever run barefoot?

Oh, and yeah, I've stepped awkwardly on a rock where it hurts, but I suck it up and keep on going.

We can sit here and debate this all day. What it comes down to is experience. If you're not stupid, do things right, take caution and have good situational awareness, shit won't hit the fan that hard.

• Content Count:  6084

Besides, I ask you (and Potshot too, if he cares): Have either of you ran/walked barefoot?

Yes, I basically only wear shoes outside, so my arch is barely pronounced. I've cut my feet by accident on glass, stubbed toes, and magically not gotten tetanus (hey, one more thing being barefoot can do to you.)

Sorry, but the issue is simple, before mankind discovered clothing, fire, sanitation etc. there lifetimes were shorter and shorter. Throwing back to barefoot running probably does feel more comfortable after a while, ignoring the occasional bloody cut and disease you may or may not grow immunity against. Have fun, I won't try and discourage you, oh wait, I will. I'll have to pay a share for your fucking healthcare when your feet give after years of abuse and you have to see a podiatrist.

Yes, I basically only wear shoes outside, so my arch is barely pronounced. I've cut my feet by accident on glass, stubbed toes, and magically not gotten tetanus (hey, one more thing being barefoot can do to you.)

Sorry, but the issue is simple, before mankind discovered clothing, fire, sanitation etc. there lifetimes were shorter and shorter. Throwing back to barefoot running probably does feel more comfortable after a while, ignoring the occasional bloody cut and disease you may or may not grow immunity against. Have fun, I won't try and discourage you, oh wait, I will. I'll have to pay a share for your fucking healthcare when your feet give after years of abuse and you have to see a podiatrist.

Fair enough.

If nothing else, we'll agree to disagree. In fact, if you'd like, perhaps you can PM me? I myself haven't yet had a problem when barefoot running, so I truthfully want to learn as much as I can.

If you have more to add, please do so. I'd prefer that you intellectually checkmate me than I remain in the dark.

Or you can continue to loathe me. At least the world hasn't stopped turning, right?

Edited by Chêvouÿx

Reply to Thread