? servers

? players online

Presentations

• Content Count:  289

Hey everyone

I have to do a presentation tonight in front of around 200 people. Its a business dinner and a lot of employers will be there. I have half my speech but the other half I will get the second I get on the stage. (since im giving an award)

If there is anyone that has done this before or has any advice it would be great if you could post it. I have done presentations in college but never more then 30 people.

Thanks for your help.

• Content Count:  4263

I have only done presentations at uni in front of 20 people max, only advice i can really give is to know what your talking about, avoid things like "err", and try to look up as much as possible

In any case Good Luck!!!

• Content Count:  157

Do something unexpected. Grab their attention.

I like the speeches that are like "man walks in, stands for a few seconds, appearing nervous. Man picks up large pile of notes. Man begins to read the first sentence; and then abrubtly throws the papers into the air and simply says 'You know what? That's boring. You all and me would be asleep by the time I finished that.'"

..and then do a far more informal "chat" about the thing, but avoid boring words. Spark attentions.

huh, that'd maybe make me pay attention...

• Content Count:  6559

Just give the speech, be confident, know that nobody else listening to you would want to be up there either.

People will forget about the speech and any mess-ups that may happen shortly after it's over. They're all adults, make a joke or two if you can.

Don't make such a big deal about it.

• Content Count:  289

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah I am fine with giving a speech in front of 30 or so people and I know what I am going to talk about. Only thing here is that I dont know everything that I am going to say.

But you guys really made me feel better about my speech.

• Content Count:  1230

Meh, public speaking is not that big of a deal. I get more nervous in 1 on 1 interviews, but I never let it show. With that many people I don't even pay attention and just stare into the space in front of me while words come out of my mouth. Just make sure you know it well enough and you'd be surprised at how simple it is.

• Content Count:  1230

I'm glad that Speech class was a requirement as FSU for business majors.

You stop giving a shit by the 10th one.

I hated speech not because of getting up in front of the class, but because of trying to figure out stuff to talk about. I'm a minimalist and I try to get my point across with the least amount of words so that I don't bore people and having time to fill sucked for me. I hated the crap some people pushed out as filler time.

• Content Count:  6559

Yeah, I hated the length requirement. I agree, 1 on 1 Interviews are a lot worse, mostly because those are to get a job and mean something.

King: At least you have a speech to read off of.

We had to do a couple of impromptu speeches, THAT was terrifying.

Reply to Thread