? servers

? players online

Question about insomnia

• Content Count:  1755

If you feel more awake when from lack of sleep is that a sign of insomnia? I usually feel sleepy for like 8 hours after I wake up and at the 8th hour I hit a wall. I usually pass out or stay awake. Once I get past that wall I can stay awake for a very long time. Its this a problem?

• Content Count:  8383

Types of insomnia

Although there are several different degrees of insomnia, three types of insomnia have been clearly identified: transient, acute, and chronic.

1. Transient insomnia lasts for less than a week. It can be caused by another disorder, by changes in the sleep environment, by the timing of sleep, severe depression, or by stress. Its consequences - sleepiness and impaired psychomotor performance - are similar to those of sleep deprivation.

2. Acute insomnia is the inability to consistently sleep well for a period of less than a month.

3. Chronic insomnia lasts for longer than a month. It can be caused by another disorder, or it can be a primary disorder. Its effects can vary according to its causes. They might include being unable to sleep, muscular fatigue, hallucinations, and/or mental fatigue; but people with chronic insomnia often show increased alertness. Some people that live with this disorder see things as if they are happening in slow motion, wherein moving objects seem to blend together. Can cause double vision.

Patterns of insomnia

1. Onset insomnia - difficulty falling asleep at the beginning of the night, often associated with anxiety disorders.

2. Middle-of-the-Night Insomnia - Insomnia characterized by difficulty returning to sleep after awakening in the middle of the night or waking too early in the morning. Also referred to as nocturnal awakenings. Encompasses middle and terminal insomnia.

3. Middle insomnia - waking during the middle of the night, difficulty maintaining sleep. Often associated with pain disorders or medical illness.

4. Terminal (or late) insomnia - early morning waking. Often a characteristic of clinical depression.

If any of this can describe your sleeping behavior then it could be.

• Content Count:  8383

See I only got 4 hours of sleep last night and I am not tired. Its almost like lack of sleep is adrenaline for me.

Well Im the same way, I could sometimes only sleep for 4 hours and feel like I slept for 8 full hours. I dont think its anything wrong but if your worried about it then I suggest go see a doctor and let him check you out.

• Content Count:  1157

It is different with me. One night I can sleep for 12 or more hours and still feel tired, the next I can sleep for less then 5 hours and feel energized the whole day. Back when I was in school, I would sleep 4 or 5 hours the night before, get home at 2 and take a small nap to make up for the sleep the night before.

Reply to Thread