? servers

? players online

Mass Effect for PC

• Content Count:  330

I don't like copy protection much, but I also understand why devs have to do it. There's a fine line though, and this may cross it. If your internet is down and the game can't check in you can't play? That's intense.

• Content Count:  180

Protection like this actually makes cracked copies more convenient, not just free. And the game will be cracked despite any security they put into it.

Edited by Lemmings19

• Content Count:  6559

C&C3 had the same securom horseshit. Since I had daemon tools on my computer it wouldn't let me run C&C3, so I went and got a no-cd crack and tadaa, it worked fine.

All these stupid fucking execs are doing is FORCING people to use crackz etc. What I have on my computer for my own personal use should not interfere with a LEGAL copy of a game I bought for my OWN use.

Legalsmash wrote his final Lawschool paper on this very issue, in fact he was asked to publish it.

I would love to see a class action brought up for this.

• Content Count:  868

As someone who's hopefully going to be a game developer someday, I wouldn't force that on people if they don't have internet connections. I understand the need to protect your game from pirates, but on the other hand I also understand that for most people gaming is a hobby that should come with as little hassles as possible.

Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock, said something that I completely agree with on the matter of software pirates. He stated that they(Stardock) are taking an approach based on the view that people who install games illegally were unlikely to purchase the product anyway.

Money doesn't grow on trees and gaming is an expensive hobby, especially PC gaming where you're already paying for hardware upgrades on top of software.

• Content Count:  111

Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock, said something that I completely agree with on the matter of software pirates. He stated that they(Stardock) are taking an approach based on the view that people who install games illegally were unlikely to purchase the product anyway.

Wow thats pretty insightful. Unfortunately its harder to tell a board of directors in a really large company that. They just scoff and wheedle about protecting their content. Usually most of them don't actually PLAY the games they are crippling.

The upside here is that the developers have listened to the public and have changed the DRM on the game (for Spore and Mass Effect). I believe you have to activate the product, and then you can reinstall 3 more times. No more 10 day limit. Better? a little but not much.

Ive played many a pirated game, but the ones I loved, I bought.

-Straylight

• Content Count:  6559

I dunno, if you were never going to buy it in the first place but are only playing it because it's free and you want to try it out then the net effect is still zero. If anything you might spread good word about it encouraging somebody else to buy.

But if you were really looking forwards to a game and are just to cheap to pay for it then that's bad.

Reply to Thread