? servers

? players online

repurchase advisability

• Content Count:  1

My grandparents purchased Train Simulator 2013 from Steam (with some help from my uncle) for me as a surprise for the holidays after I had casually mentioned the holiday sale starting the next day believing the sale was in effect (and that the non-sale game was $120!) Knowing I love trains, they willingly paid the full $60 which was no small matter financially for them. I learned soon thereafter that they made the purchase only 4 hours before the sale started at midnight the actual day it began and the price had plummeted to $15, and later even lower to $10! This really gave a sour taste to what was supposed to be a really pleasant gift and memory.

I emailed Steam Support hoping they would make some concession due to the ridiculously unfortunate miscalculation not failing to mention that I had the full intention of buying much more content for this and possibly other expandable-universe games, and hoping my first experience with Steam would not be a bitter one. But the automated email told me their billing process was also automated and therefore nothing could be done. This is of course pure tosh, as even any small business with a computer has quick and easily accessible administrator override windows for the authorized person, especially concerning financial issues affecting the company. It is absurd that a mega-million fully online company with very sophisticated IT personnel who manage hundreds of thousands of virtual accounts is somehow at the helpless mercy of some automated HAL billing program.

On the second advice of a more savvy friend, (not wanting to take his entirely illegal first advice which was just to torrent the whole thing), I am considering putting this claim to the test in my interest. Do any of you consider it either impossible (if the system somehow really is automated) or highly inadvisable (if it is more likely manned by humans capable of resentment and petty revenges) to first 'return' the product. (Other secondary companies such as flpilotshop.com offer full (and instant) emailed refund for Railworks products if you are not pleased with the purchase and simply deactivate your access to the account) and shortly thereafter (before this sale ends at 4pm today) repurchase the base-game entirely with the low price; giving my well-meaning gramps the difference back for their kind intention? Please let me know if anyone has tried this otherwise commonly exploited loophole (done mostly in retail) on Steam or whether it would just get me blacklisted entirely from Steam and ruin the rest of the whole experience entirely. Also, would I lose the add-ons I obviously took advantage of the sale to purchase with my own money? I would really appreciate it if someone could please respond sometime soon before the 4pm deadline.

Thank you very much for any help or advice.

Reply to Thread