? servers

? players online

doge lovers thread

• Content Count:  4198

I never even gave my stance on spiderman posts, and to clarify, I was never for them getting banned in the first place, since that is what partially led to this entire attitude toward OTF in the first place. Instead of actively moderating threads and giving out punishments for derailing, spiderman posts (and anything deemed as 'inappropriate posting') were simply put under a zero tolerance policy, and I'm sure you can remember the reaction that received (and iirc only a few AOs and forum mods even cared enough about this to punish people).

I never brought up your stance regarding spiderman posts at all. I stated that they were banned, but that XeNo has addressed them in a manner which is consistent, hence why this thread and this thing still exist. I simply stated that whether they are allowed or not, I view them as cancerous material and I provided reasons for why I feel that way.

Perhaps instead of editing your quotations of me you should leave them as they are? That way you won't get confused as to what I'm arguing for whilst you're typing.

Basically what I'm trying to say I'm not even particularly attached to this thread, I just feel the entire attitude towards OTF is wrong. It's off-topic. This is meant to be the most active part of the forum, where anyone can come to share and discuss anything as long as it follows the rules of the board. Most topics that can actually provide serious discussion will be found elsewhere in the forum. If people can post something such as this and be amused by it, it should be kept open.

Again, you are mistaking 'off-topic' for shitposting. Threads like these are purely so people can spam. Whether it brings amusement or not makes no difference as to whether they are shitposts or not. I recall their being a suggestion for a "Spam" sub-forum, where threads such as these could be contained and you could be free to do whatever. It was shot down pretty hard as being one of the most retarded ideas ever put forward, since people would merely abuse it for post count and - get this - it wouldn't provide us with anything worthwhile.

It's not even like you have to accept threads such as this if you are against them (tbh this whole exchange began because I felt that my definition of 'shitposting' differed from yours). You have every right to criticize them or to simply ignore them. I don't want to use the word 'freedom' because it sounds cliche, but at least that option opens up the OTF to a wider spectrum of material that others can find potentially entertaining, while others can stick to threads that promote serious contributions and discussion.

Then I hope I've made it clear why I view threads like these as shitposting. If I had to guess, if someone went around multiple threads typing "lol!", "omg i laughed so hard xdd" or "that was so cool!" then you would label that as shitposting. Whereas you feel these threads at least provide some form of entertainment (regardless of how stupid it is), and should therefore be acceptable. I understand the sentiment there, but don't agree with it.

The only issue I can foresee is people posting "doge" pictures or spiderman pictures in unrelated OTF threads. Which in those cases, as Caution states in the quote below, moderators can take action to remove them from the thread/punish whoever is using them in threads they do not belong.

This is good, as it draws a line. Like I said, cancerous shit like this spreads due to a lack of moderation, so as long as it doesn't fuck up other threads (even those in OTF), there is at least some form of containment.

As long as all 'doge' pictures and all Spiderman pictures stay in their own threads, I fail to see how it affects the remaining OTF threads. The second they leak out into other threads not specified for them, moderators can choose to delete/warn those posters that they are pointless/useless in any other thread than the one made specifically for them.

The issue I see here is moderators 'choosing' to take action on such matters. If one person posts a spiderman picture in one thread and nothing happens (maybe it's in a less-viewed sub-forum for example), then when someone posts the same thing in another thread and gets banned there is going to be bitching. I would suggest coming up with some sort of definitive ruling on the matter to avoid issues such as these, but ultimately it's up to you.

• Content Count:  1676

My mistake then, it's just that I read "It invalidates it because similar things are banned, such as spiderman threads" and "If those moderating seek to allow this doge stuff then spiderman threads should be just as acceptable," as basically saying those supporting the thread are being inconsistent because spiderman threads would continue to be berated.

I still support my argument that not everything that gets posted in OTF needs to constructive as long as it provides content that other people enjoy. If they're counted as spam, then I don't see why threads like "Post your funny pictures", "Post pictures of yourself", and "What are you listening to right now?" aren't being grouped in with them considering they're essentially the same type of thread with perhaps more conservative topics.

What you're saying about consistency in moderation is valid, but it's not a major issue (though the consensus does say that 'inappropriate posting' in other threads is a punishable offense). The main problem would be one person's thread would be locked (being considered spam) and another person's wouldn't be (which is similar to an issue faced in MG where it's the admin's choice whether or not to slay players for rejoining). If proper communication between the ranks is followed then there won't be any real problems besides, like you said, the occasional bitching. Though in the end, if one of these threads get locked because one of the forum mods thought it crossed the line, it's not a huge loss.

And actually, I believe if the 'Spam' subforum was tweaked a bit, it wouldn't be such a horrible idea. Instead of just being full things like this, it could actually become the equivalent of 'fast threads' on other forums, and all of the stickied "Post your" threads in OTF can find a new home there. I don't think there is really any need for this at the moment, but I just think that idea was approached the wrong way.

And for the record, I only edit your quotes because I don't see any reason I need to double the length of my post when what I'm quoting is directly above me or a few posts up.

Edited by SexualHarassmentPanda

• Content Count:  4198

I still support my argument that not everything that gets posted in OTF needs to constructive as long as it provides content that other people enjoy. If they're counted as spam, then I don't see why threads like "Post your funny pictures", "Post pictures of yourself", and "What are you listening to right now?" aren't being grouped in with them considering they're essentially the same type of thread with perhaps more conservative topics.

Each of those you mentioned actually contributes something worthwhile though. The post pictures of yourself thread allows people to see what everyone looks like, and the what are you listening to right now thread allows people to check out new music. The only one out of your examples I can see presenting a slight issue would be the funny pictures thread, but at least it's all in one place, whereby the broad subjective spectrum of what constitutes something as being funny leaves it very open.

In other words, I could understand this doge stuff and spiderman pictures being posted there (even en masse), but dedicating a thread to each of these 'jokes' just seems stupid. Hell at least half the stuff in that sticky has a punchline, whereas this is just "lol doge xdddd" over and over.

What you're saying about consistency in moderation is valid, but it's not a major issue (though the consensus does say that 'inappropriate posting' in other threads is a punishable offense). The main problem would be one person's thread would be locked (being considered spam) and another person's wouldn't be (which is similar to an issue faced in MG where it's the admin's choice whether or not to slay players for rejoining). If proper communication between the ranks is followed then there won't be any real problems besides, like you said, the occasional bitching. Though in the end, if one of these threads get locked because one of the forum mods thought it crossed the line, it's not a huge loss.

Consistency is an extremely important issue among a community that is prone to blowing things out of proportion. Any time there have been issues regarding admin discretion there has always been instances of chronic whining, and unless the people moderating want to deal with that there needs to be a very clear cut ruling on the matter.

And actually, I believe if the 'Spam' subforum was tweaked a bit, it wouldn't be such a horrible idea. Instead of just being full things like this, it could actually become the equivalent of 'fast threads' on other forums, and all of the stickied "Post your" threads in OTF can find a new home there. I don't think there is really any need for this at the moment, but I just think that idea was approached the wrong way.

I'm neither here nor there regarding a spam sub-forum. I couldn't care less if this shit is contained within a sub-forum or within dedicated threads, but either one seems to be an acceptable middle-ground regarding the issue, so long as it doesn't start leaking into other shit.

• Content Count:  6466

The issue I see here is moderators 'choosing' to take action on such matters. If one person posts a spiderman picture in one thread and nothing happens (maybe it's in a less-viewed sub-forum for example), then when someone posts the same thing in another thread and gets banned there is going to be bitching.

I should state that no one should be banned for a post. The moderator can just use their discretion as to whether or not to delete it. If one post goes unnoticed or is seen as funny in another thread, I would expect moderators to let it slide. If someone posts a picture intending to use it to derail or just give no valid input on the thread, I would expect moderators to just delete it saying "Post something constructive" or something along those lines.

That is what I meant by "choosing to delete or not", and I don't say anything about banning users over it, only deleted posts.

• Content Count:  1513

I couldn't care less if this shit is contained within a sub-forum or within dedicated threads, but either one seems to be an acceptable middle-ground regarding the issue, so long as it doesn't start leaking into other shit.

Well is this not a dedicated thread for this topic? I don't see the problem as long as this doge stuff is contained here in this thread. The only problem is if this starts to "leak" into other threads.

Also if you don't like what this thread is then stay away from it, lol.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1676

One more time

The pictures thread isn't the best example, I'll admit, but the other two I used are just about the biggest post count boosters on the forum. They require no thought or effort to contribute to and promote no discussion, yet nobody has an issue with them because they are entertained by their posts. The way people scan through those threads is the same way these threads are treated by those who find them funny.

I would also prefer it if these stayed out of the funny pictures thread, at least in huge numbers, as the thread was meant for sharing generally amusing pictures. If people were encouraged to post shibe, spiderman, or anything else that exists in large quantities in there, the thread will quickly get oversaturated with the same memes. Better it be, like you said, contained, in separate threads such as this.

Everything else is just differences in our opinion, so there's really nothing left to discuss. I can see where you're coming from on this issue, and it's a completely valid point of view that I just don't happen to share. I just wanted to show that the other side of the argument was just as reasonable.

Reply to Thread