? servers

? players online

Why don't we have moderators?

• Content Count:  1639

On SG, the only distinct power is being an admin. Although admins do help resolve conflicts on servers such as rule breaking, flaming, or cheating, they're not always available. What if we had moderators on the SG servers to watch out for people who commit these actions and have them do the standard procedure for dealing with them. I only say this because to contact an admin is mostly done via chatbox on forum, but if regulars on servers, who are on a fair deal on SG servers, were given Moderator powers then it would probably much simpler to deal with; of course these people would have to go through an application and get approval from the community, such as is done with the admin applications. But if there is a distinct reason there are no moderators on SG, I'm sure it could be weighed against the pros.

Just my thought.

~Motox

• Content Count:  2075

Holy shit it's the annual "lets have players who're NOT admins but have relatively the same powers and responsibilities of an admin" come early this year.

I wouldn't say that there are copious amounts of active admins these days able to cover every moment but the manpower is sufficient for the time being. Also, someone can learn to make a demo or acquire a screenshot in under 5 minutes given the caveat that they aren't mentally handicapped.

TLDR; we don't need them because the current methods are sufficient.

• Like 2

Moderator differs greatly from admin, powers such as kick, gag, vote to ban, would apply to moderator. While as admin, the powers are of such are well known. Also try not to base this generally on supporters, SG regulars who haven't donated could make fine moderators as well. In my opinion, I think the jump from a regular to an admin is just too fast. Albeit there are several admin ranks, the responsibility is major itself and practicing as a lower authority figure could help build better admins through experience.

• Content Count:  5108

I agree with both sides here. I believe that sometimes, admins may not be available, especially late at night, so that's usually when I see a lot of RDM/Freekill or whatever. It can also be a hassle for both the admin, and the person asking for the admin. I don't like asking people for things, which is mainly why I submit player complaints. I know admins are supposed to do their responsibility, but sometimes they can be busy. If moderators were to exist, I believe their powers should be very limited. Possibly give them kick or slay, or even the option to start a voteban/votekick on someone. The bans from voteban don't have to be very long either, just enough time (maybe a half hour or so) so that an admin can come onto the server if he is finished doing what he/she was busy with.

But then again, I also agree with Capp'n. It isn't very hard to record a demo, take a screenshot then post them into a player complaint. There is a sticky thread there for a reason. If someone doesn't know how to trim a demo, they can always just post the tick when the actual offense occurred.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2983

Moderator differs greatly from admin, powers such as kick, gag, vote to ban, would apply to moderator. While as admin, the powers are of such are well known. Also try not to base this generally on supporters, SG regulars who haven't donated could make fine moderators as well. In my opinion, I think the jump from a regular to an admin is just too fast. Albeit there are several admin ranks, the responsibility is major itself and practicing as a lower authority figure could help build better admins through experience.

What you are implying is giving admin to someone, but without the other commands like !freeze,!burn, or !slap, which are relatively useless when it comes to the admin protocol which is slay(mute/gag)/kick/ban.

What you are implying is giving admin to someone' date=' but without the other commands like !freeze,!burn, or !slap, which are relatively useless when it comes to the admin protocol which is slay(mute/gag)/kick/ban.[/quote']

As said before, for the apparent third time, slay, mute/gag, and kick are indeed powers under the admin while others are mostly useless I agree. But moderators shouldn't have a degree of power in which they can use ban or permanent ban, it's only because the lack of availability of admins at times and player complaints without substantial evidence. By this I mean players complain of the offence but have no proof, a good percentage of SG Players don't even have a forum account so how would they report the offence? This is exactly where the mod can be implemented, with constant watch over the server they could fill the spot for the convictions. Regulars such as Spectix, now known as Megan, have messaged me countless times to get an admin because of rule-breakers on the servers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13071[/ATTACH]

I say there should at least be a test period for moderators. Put an application up for Moderator on the forums, and let the applications be reviewed by the staff and community. If proven effective in the upcoming weeks, retain the moderators in SG. If not discard them from SG, and let it be a reputable con against the argument of implementing moderators if ever brought up again.

Reply to Thread