? servers

? players online

Boxing Start-Up?

• Content Count:  885

Alright, I consulted my multiple Massachusetts Golden Glove winner friend.

He recommended for gloves, Reyes Boxing Gloves, but for a casual boxer, those wouldn't be the best for you monetary restraints. For gloves, he says as long as they have good wrist stability along with the level of comfort you want is ideal. Other brand he mentioned was Title. And if you want any shoes, just some Adidas or Nike generic boxing gloves suit him fine.

When it comes to actually buying bags, he pretty much reiterated what I said before that it would be much easier to just go to a boxing club and use their bags etc. Said that bags aren't only wicked expensive, but they're also a pain in the ass when it comes to responsibly caring for them.

That's all I got for you sir. Any luck finding boxing clubs?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2941

Any luck finding boxing clubs?

Thanks, I'll see what I can find out about Reyes or Title.

and

Not really, just found alot of women's fitness centers.

I might be able to find a boxing club/center/gym when I move out for college/uni.

Looking at Stetson, UCF, and University of Tampa. Seems to be an abundance of centers around some of those areas.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  4960

The club at the gym where I go, uses Everlast. I know a guy who's in the boxing club there and he uses nike, adidas or puma mostly as shoes. Good shoes don't have to be expensive.

For boxing gloves, i'm pretty sure that you don't need the best of the best to start out. He uses Domyos for training (cheap but good) and Everlast for competition.

His boxing shoes for training are from DoubleD.

If you will buy a boxing bag, go for one that hangs on your ceiling if possible.

Hope you will have fun boxing :p

I started out with bike racing 2 months ago, and i bought a 1600€ bike.. and 500€ gear..

You can safely say I overdid it.

The difference between my average on my old racing bike that i bought secondhand from my uncle and my own bike has gone from 50km/h to 58km/h.

So it's not really the material that's important, but the skills you gain with them.

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2941

The club at the gym where I go, uses Everlast. I know a guy who's in the boxing club there and he uses nike, adidas or puma mostly as shoes. Good shoes don't have to be expensive.

For boxing gloves, i'm pretty sure that you don't need the best of the best to start out. He uses Domyos for training (cheap but good) and Everlast for competition.

His boxing shoes for training are from DoubleD.

If you will buy a boxing bag, go for one that hangs on your ceiling if possible.

Hope you will have fun boxing :p

I started out with bike racing 2 months ago, and i bought a 1600€ bike.. and 500€ gear..

You can safely say I overdid it.

The difference between my average on my old racing bike that i bought secondhand from my uncle and my own bike has gone from 50km/h to 58km/h.

So it's not really the material that's important, but the skills you gain with them.

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, haha, thanks.

I really do have fun boxing so far.

I actually quite enjoy shadow boxing. When I got home from school earlier today, I decided to shadow box for 30 minutes straight. I don't know if that was overdoing it but it felt great.

I really enjoy the sparring sessions with my friend as well.

Though, I do wish we had headgear. :biggrin1:

• Like 1
Yeah, haha, thanks.

I really do have fun boxing so far.

I actually quite enjoy shadow boxing. When I got home from school earlier today, I decided to shadow box for 30 minutes straight. I don't know if that was overdoing it but it felt great.

I really enjoy the sparring sessions with my friend as well.

Though, I do wish we had headgear. :biggrin1:

Would recommend waiting till you find a gym. If you're doing something wrong it might take you a while to unlearn it to redo it the right way.

Would recommend waiting till you find a gym. If you're doing something wrong it might take you a while to unlearn it to redo it the right way.

Having fun while doing sports is the reason you'll endure and keep doing the sport itself. Shoiep is merely discovering the world of boxing :p

Taking one punch at a time..

I sometimes wonder why I keep getting on that racing bike when I fell at 40 km/h and my leg had a huge open wound while my fresh new bike pants got ripped open.

Try to get back home with no phone on you and you're 15 km from home with a leg burning and bleeding..

(I cheated, I made a visit to grandma and she brought me home.. Poor me)

• Like 1
Having fun while doing sports is the reason you'll endure and keep doing the sport itself. Shoiep is merely discovering the world of boxing :p

Taking one punch at a time..

A lot of boxing is muscle memory. If your fundamentals are wrong, and no one is there to correct you, you're going to shadow box that incorrect form/technique into your head and it's going to be 5 times harder to learn it the correct way once you do find a coach.

For example, Tae Kwon Do practictioners that walked into my MT gym always had trouble performing kicks because they did it a different way at their old school for so long (I was like this too). Newcomers with zero experience would always take up on it way faster because they had a clear mind.

Edit: Also this is a personal bias, but learning how to fight with your hands and your legs is wayyyy more fun. If you somehow manage to find a kickboxing/MT/MMA gym I'd recommend that over classical western boxing by far.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

A lot of boxing is muscle memory. If your fundamentals are wrong, and no one is there to correct you, you're going to shadow box that incorrect form/technique into your head and it's going to be 5 times harder to learn it the correct way once you do find a coach.

For example, Tae Kwon Do practictioners that walked into my MT gym always had trouble performing kicks because they did it a different way at their old school for so long (I was like this too). Newcomers with zero experience would always take up on it way faster because they had a clear mind.

You should listen to harro. He makes a rather relevant point, and has a lot of experience to back it.

Zaraki just falls of bikes.

• Like 1

You should listen to harro. He makes a rather relevant point, and has a lot of experience to back it.

Zaraki just falls of bikes.

Try to go 40km/h on a full carbon bike (7.6kg) + me (60+- kg) and have the wind in your side, while taking a sharp corner..

You'll get my point faster than you'd think.

Either way, if you can prepare yourself a bit, your punches will have decent effect when you train with weights a bit before you start since power is speed times force. I had a sports day at school (various sports etc, I have done 8 years of Judo, went to brown belt) and the most important thing we've learned is to always add padding to your fists in your gloves.. (Bandage, tape, wrapping,...)

Some kid broke 2 knuckles xp

Boxing isn't that hard imo, the biggest problem is taking the hits..

I hope you find a club or trainer, but learning from the internet is good to learn some tricks too while you're looking out for one.

Nothing beats a club tho :/

Sparring with different people is always more fun.

Reply to Thread