? servers

? players online

My Steam Account Was Hijaked

• Content Count:  65

Hello, I would just like to let everybody know that my Steam profile, , is now under the command of some mysterious hacker. You may wonder how this happened, so read below to find out how.

So, I was watching a live-stream on Twitch.tv and I was looking at the chat box and I saw someone had posted a message in the chat box that went something like this: "I'm giving away everything in my inventory!" Then after the message it gave a link to a Steam profile. The profile looked extremely legit, as did the website. I didn't notice this at first, but people said it wasn't spelled "steamcommunity.com," it was spelled slightly different to make it look like it was the official Steam community website. I didn't notice at all. So once I got to the profile, I saw that the profile was level 60 and had a ton of extremely rare items that were being showcased on the profile. In my head, I was thinking "Hm, I wonder why somebody would give away everything in their inventory. Possibly to have a fresh start?" It was all very fishy to me, so when I tried to look at more of the profile's inventory, it came up with this pop-up window that looked exactly like the official Steam log-in window. I didn't even want the items, I just wanted to look at what he had and possibly come to a conclusion of why he'd be giving away everything in his inventory just out of the blue. So, stupid me, put in my log-in information. Both my account username and password and clicked the "Log-In" button. As soon as I did that, another pop-up window opened up and said "You need to download the latest version of Steam Guard" or something like that. Now, let me remind you, that the website looked extremely legit. I downloaded it and ran the program, shortly after that, it sent me to the official Steam website. So I was like "Oh well, I didn't want anything, anyways." So I went back to my profile and I saw that one of my friends commented on my profile, I went to my friend's profile to reply to him but when I went to send the message, an error came up telling me to go check my e-mail or something. I went to go check my e-mail, and there was an e-mail from the Steam support confirming that the e-mail on my account had been changed. I thought "Well that's weird, I didn't change my e-mail or anything." Then I quickly thought again and new that I had just been hacked. I tried multiple times to log back in to my account, but nothing worked.

Hopefully everyone who actually read the entire thing, which I don't think nobody did, understands, now, how I got hacked. I also hope that Valve helps me to re-claim my account because, even though I only have 11 games on that account and I only play like 5 or 6 of them, I still want it back. I think it's an accomplishment for me to have over 700 hours on Counter-Strike: Source and I really wanted to make it to 1,000 hours, I don't want all those hours to go down the drain for me to just restart again. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I've made an alternate account to talk to some of my friends but I don't want to add anymore people on this account. I want my original account to stay my original account and I want to keep playing on it. Hopefully I'll be able to re-claim that account and add everyone back on there.

That's all I have to say, mouth-full, right? I know, but I hope everything goes back to normal. If not, I'll just have to re-purchase all my games. Goodbye. :(

You're totally right, I really should have known better, in the live-stream. The message got deleted instantly because it had that link. But I just totally ignored it and was stupid enough to click it. Hopefully I'll have the account back soon. I hear Frostbitten got his account hijacked, too. I also heard that for Steam support to get your account back, you have to wait a week or two. Possibly even longer. I just want that account back. :(

• Content Count:  374

I'm sorry Wolfy but usually Steam is a bitch when it comes to scammers and shit like that. Don't get your hopes up but I wish you luck. Also add me c:.

I'm so sorry

Yeah I got mine hijacked too once, just contact steam and they'll fix it in about a week.

Thanks, your post gives me a lot of hope! But like Ryoku said, don't get my hopes up, it's not guaranteed. But you are the second person I've heard from that said they got their hijacked account back around a week or so.

• Content Count:  640

What you have on your computer my friend is a remote access trojan otherwise known as a RAT... It was the steam guard download and he just phished you in with free shit... Could be crypted so might be a big problem. That or when you logged in through the "Profile" your username, password and ip was sent to him and he just got on from there. Run a virus scan (if possible) and if weird things start happening to your computer like mouse randomly moving or cd tray opening then you got worst problems to worry about.

Reply to Thread