? servers

? players online

Are you interested in playing this game?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in playing this game?

• Yes (I like idea #1 more)
    • Yes (I like idea #2 more)
    • I'll pass, but good luck getting it going.

Forum Mafia (Again)?

• Content Count:  2589

Okay so, last year I tried to run a good ole' game of forum mafia, but people weren't active enough to actually run it, so it died down pretty damn fast. I was wanting to know if enough people would be interested in trying another game. So first things first, what is forum mafia?

(copy and pasted with minor edits from: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide )

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, Day and Night. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, the thread is locked and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).

Players will have roles that have special abilities. These special abilities are usually carried out during the night, but in some rare instances can be used during the day. Below is a list of common roles:

Cop - Each Night, the Cop can investigate one player (by sending their name to the Moderator), and the Moderator will tell them whether that player is Mafia or not.

Doctor - Each Night, the Doctor can choose one player to protect (by sending their name to the Moderator). If the Mafia (or anyone else) tries to kill that player, that kill will be prevented.

Vigilante - Each Night, the Vigilante may kill another player (by sending their name to the Moderator).

Besides town and mafia, some players might be third party. Third party are neither aligned to the town or mafia, and have specific win conditions. Below is a list of some common third party roles:

Serial Killer - The killer (for short) is separate from the mafia and wins when everyone is dead.

Fool- The fool's lone win condition is to be lynched. If he is killed by anything other than a town lynch, he loses. If the fool is lynched, he automatically wins the game.

Cult- The cult starts with one person known as the cult leader. Each night the cult recruits one person to join them. The cult knows each other. They win when they outnumber the town and the mafia is no more.

Basically I will assign an alliance/role to each person. Whatever actions happen by the players, will affect the story. At the end/beginning of each phase, I will post a short story that setups up the next phase and includes certain night actions.

Now then, I was wanting to see if people would be interested enough to commit the time to actually pull this game off. Depending on how fast

people play, the game will take about a month to play in it's entirety. Day phases usually last 48 hours and night phases last 24.

To play you'd have to be willing to commit the time to check up on the phases multiple times and actually post. The more active everyone is the better. Not only does it make it easier for people to get a read on other players, it makes the game more fun.

All that being said, I have two base ideas for the game at the moment. Please vote below on which one you'd be more interested in playing.

And one last thing, games are usually 10-12 players, I'll decide this later when I start working on the game. The game won't start to probably sometime next month, possibly around this time, as I have to create the characters, balance out the roles and plan the story.

Idea #1: The game begins with the characters arriving at a department store late one night, some work there, others are there for shopping and some for other reasons. As they each go about their business a blackout occurs and the doors are locked. One by one people start dying or just plain disappearing. The few people in the store must work together to figure out who's behind this strange occurrence and (hopefully) get out alive.

Idea #2: The game begins at a rock concert. Everyone is there having a good time when technical difficulties begin to happen. It starts with the sound failing, and next thing you know the light rigs begin falling and pyro is being shot into the audience. Those that are lucky enough to survive come together and figure out what's the reason behind all this. Just when everyone thinks they are safe, mysterious things start happening and they must work together to survive.

• Content Count:  2262

I doubt it will work as in no one in SG actually pay attention to a thread for so long or a forum games that require them to say nothing to each other once they die in the game..... or getting people active.

But first, you need to ask a CE that will do this for you

I doubt it will work as in no one in SG actually pay attention to a thread for so long or a forum games that require them to say nothing to each other once they die in the game..... or getting people active.

But first, you need to ask a CE that will do this for you

The game is played outside this forum. I'll create the separate forum specifically for the game.

• Content Count:  1064

I like the first idea..

When I was a kid on swim team, we'd play card mafia every Friday after practice. Anybody with Diamonds was mafia, doctor was Ace of Hearts, Sheriff was Ace of Spades, civilians were anything else. It was pretty fun, but it required a lot of people.

Anyways, this seems pretty sweet though. Might I suggest that Days be 10 hours and Nights be 14?

other than that, I'd do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the first idea..

When I was a kid on swim team, we'd play card mafia every Friday after practice. Anybody with Diamonds was mafia, doctor was Ace of Hearts, Sheriff was Ace of Spades, civilians were anything else. It was pretty fun, but it required a lot of people.

Anyways, this seems pretty sweet though. Might I suggest that Days be 10 hours and Nights be 14?

other than that, I'd do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lengths can be w/e. Usually days 48, nights 24 to give people in different time zones a chance to check in and play. We could do whatever works for everyone else.

• Content Count:  4960

The lengths can be w/e. Usually days 48, nights 24 to give people in different time zones a chance to check in and play. We could do whatever works for everyone else.

Make that shorter, the reason people didn't respond in the first place because it was going to take a month :/ at least

Thinking days 24 hours, nights 12 hours.

Going off of average games with 12 people, 3 mafia, one person dying day, one person night, assuming one mafia makes it to final three, it'd prob take about a week and a half, give or take to finish.

Granted more people can die in one phase, and might take slightly longer to give me time to gather all the events and start the next phase (shouldn't be that much though).

Not a fan of 12 hour phases though, as it'll be hard for people to post. Granted not much happens during the night minus people simply PM'ing me their actions, and the mafia discussing their plan. Maybe 24 hour day and 24 night?

Already working on the site. Idk when I'll get enough ppl interested, but enjoying working on it so why not. Semi-started working on the two stories.

Reply to Thread