? servers

? players online

[Myth: BUSTED] December 21st, 2012

• Content Count:  2306

Lol, what does it matter that the calender ends on that date?

My Golden Retriever calender ends on December 31st 2008, but that doesn't mean I expect the world to end then.

Every calender has to have an end to it, and the Mayan Calender is no different, you can't expect them to have an infinite calender.

Now as for the video, most of the disasters are already ocouring and have been for thousands of years.

And as for all the other things that supposedly relate to December 21st 2012, basically, once someone heard about the end of the Mayan calender they went out and made ridiculous oversimplifications to relate everything they could to this date.

You could pretty much pick any date and find lots of suspicious circumstances through oversimplification and streching of facts.

The funiest part of the movie is when they name the nostrodamous prophecy, which is funny because a few years after he made a prophecy that the earth would be destroyed on that date, he made one saying man would overcome a possible destruction on that date.

Edited by *Queen VenomousFate*

• Content Count:  2306

Agreed.

It's interesting that they stopped the calender there, but that myth that the end will world that specific date really does not hold any water. The world can end any day, so that date is just as likely as tomorrow or any other day.

Lol, what does it matter that the calender ends on that date?

My Golden Retriever calender ends on December 31st 2008, but that doesn't mean I expect the world to end then.

Every calender has to have an end to it, and the Mayan Calender is no different, you can't expect them to have an infinite calender.

Now as for the video, most of the disasters are already ocouring and have been for thousands of years.

And as for all the other things that supposedly relate to December 21st 2012, basically, once someone heard about the end of the Mayan calender they went out and made ridiculous oversimplifications to relate everything they could to this date.

You could pretty much pick any date and find lots of suspicious circumstances through oversimplification and streching of facts.

And as for all those prophets such as nostrodamus, if you actually look at their prophecies, they are amazingly vague and could be applied to so many events. Also, these prophets also made thousands of prophecies so they are bound to get a few things right.

• Content Count:  1349

Some corrections. The Mayan calendar doesn't "end" at that date, merely loops around on itself.

Remember the fear over y2k? That is programs were storing dates as only the last two digits, 95 for 1995, 99 for 1999, etc... The problem was when it reached 00 it could mean 1900 or 2000. So the "calendar" didn't end, it merely created an ambiguity in it's interpretation, at least to the program looking at it.

The same thing is happening with the Mayan calendar. At the 21st or 23rd of December, 2012* it will basically go back to the starting point, creating a technical ambiguity. The Mayan calendar started on 13.0.0.0.0** in Long Count. On the 21st or 23rd of December, 2012, it will be 13.0.0.0.0 again. I'd also like to point out that there are more parts to the Mayan calendar, but all these dooms day prophecies toss out all that extra stuff and just look at the Long Count. Talk about cherry picking!

It's literally no different than the y2k bug mechanically. However, whereas the y2k bug did pose some serious problems, which were thankfully fixed ahead of time, the Mayan calendar presents no problem as nothing we use today depends on it.

People talking about the world ending because the Mayan calendar is going to "end" are retarded, don't know a damn thing about how the calendar even works, and should all be summarily dismissed.

Is there a chance the world will end on the 21st of December, 2012? Sure, there's a chance that the world could end, at least as we know it, every single day. A meteor could come at us with relativistic speeds and basically make Earth a pool of lava. Or there could be another plague, one which is far worse than the Bubonic Plague. We could get into a nuclear war and decimate the planet. Lots of things could happen.

Next time someone brings this subject up, stab them in the brain, they obviously aren't using it.

Also Venemous, our calendar is in fact infinite. While our months are cyclic, the year progresses from 0 and can stretch until we're sick of writing 50 digit years, assuming we're still alive as a species to care. It can also go back in time, BCE is equivalent to sticking a negative in front of the year. To use some math terms, our calendar is based on the integers, zahlen, Z, which is an infinite group (and ring). The Mayan calendar, only the Long Count part, is a finite cyclic group composed of the external direct products of some mod Z groups. I haven't proven this formally as I'm lazy, so you can just assume I'm right unless we have another math major on the forums who wants some extra credit. Also, since I'm a math nerd, Z is the only infinite cyclic group up to isomorphism. Just to confuse you some more ;).

*There's some uncertainty as to when it will actually loop around.

**The first digit was in the range 1-13, not 0-12, so it ends up being 13 rather than 0.

P.S. I didn't see BOOWY's post. In either case I made a minor correction =). What we really need is one of the AOs/BDs to put a tag in front of this story. Something to the tune of [busted].

Edited by Astrum

• Content Count:  1384

People who believe that the world will end in 2012 are dumbasses.

The Human race is very resilient and it will survive any shit to come in the next thousands of years.

Famous last words.

Anyway, my calendar ends on December 31st 2008, so I don't know what the fuck y'all are complaining about! ;-)

Or there could be another plague, one which is far worse than the Bubonic Plague.

I like to think that liberals are the new plague, infecting the planet with their nonsensical nonsense and ruining everything that is good. Oh no! Is there a cure, you ask? Yes, in fact! Oppose a liberal and save the world!

McCain / Palin '08

Yeah, totally went there.

• Content Count:  2994

lol the funniest would be if some super believer of that date he would go like " FEAR FOR YOUR LIVES FUCKERS COUSE THE END IS NEAR AND YOUR BLOOD WOULD BE SPILLED FIRST FOR NONBELIEVING CURSE YOU NONBELIEVERS CURSE YOU!!!!!!, YOUR ALL GONNA DIE MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" yea that would be funny.

lol the funniest would be if some super believer of that date he would go like " FEAR FOR YOUR LIVES FUCKERS COUSE THE END IS NEAR AND YOUR BLOOD WOULD BE SPILLED FIRST FOR NONBELIEVING CURSE YOU NONBELIEVERS CURSE YOU!!!!!!, YOUR ALL GONNA DIE MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" yea that would be funny.

Have you ever met a Jehovah's Witness?

Not to be confused with Jenova. If only.

Reply to Thread