? servers

? players online

HD 4670 vs 9500 GT

• Content Count:  4960

It's pretty obvious that the HD 4670 kicks the 9500 GT (My current card) ass but does it consume significant more power?

I'm currently running my 9500 GT 512MB on a 250W PSU and I'm wondering if I can still run the HD 4670 since it's not much more powerful than the 9500 GT but is not too much less powerful than the 9600 GT (which of course would fail on my PSU Setup)

If you are wondering NO I am not going to do a PSU upgrade, and not any time soon.

Also if you don't know what you're talking about don't add on into this discussion by saying "Oh, the minimum power requirements are this and that" the companies which put the requirements there overestimate the power consumption some times (get the power consumption, then label the required 100W higher). Me running a 9500 GT on a 250W PSU setup where the requirements are for a 350W - 400 W proves so.

*EDIT*

If I supposedly can run the 4670 512MB on my setup, would doubling it up to a 1GB 4670 allow my PSU to still handle it?

Edited by Coffee Crisp

• Content Count:  6741

Hmm, I'm not actually sure what the exact minimum Watt usage is needed for that but you also need to think about if that newer card needs direct power from your PSU rather from your MB.

Why don't you want to do a PSU upgrade?

Hmm, I'm not actually sure what the exact minimum Watt usage is needed for that but you also need to think about if that newer card needs direct power from your PSU rather from your MB.

Why don't you want to do a PSU upgrade?

Well the people who developed my case thought of fucking up their customer by giving limited space for the PSU.

• Content Count:  6741

Well the people who developed my case thought of fucking up their customer by giving limited space for the PSU.

Huge bummer, invest in a Case that comes with a PSU included?

Huge bummer, invest in a Case that comes with a PSU included?

That means I'm going to have to spend money on a case that I'll probably use for two years, remove all my parts, transfer them to a new case, and rewire all the parts to the PSU (which is truly hell). I know it's worth it in the long run, but sometimes when I'm too lazy to do a complete build (unlike this one which is built from scratch) I buy a prebuilt one and invest on replacement parts which I find much more easier and faster.

:) I'll be looking up some power consumption benchmarks on the 4670 till then

• Content Count:  3736

are you telling me you cant find a psu bigger than 250W that fits in your case..THAT REALY SUCKS!!! I wouldnt waste the money on the card now cause 250w is low and you all have to invest that money in the psu no matter what eventually..or buy a new comp eventually..so just buy the card then...

Reply to Thread