? servers

? players online

OS delema?

• Content Count:  222

hey, i am building a new gaming pc and i don't have an operating system for it yet. i am reluctant to purchase Vista so close to the Win 7 release because i don't want to throw away ~100 USD if I am just going to want to upgrade in a couple of months.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get an operating system for free until Win 7 comes out.

my thoughts... i was thinking about installing the Win 7 RC but someone told me you cant install it on a new computer. They said it has to be installed over an existing OS. (If that is true can i just install a Linux OS and then the Win 7 RC over it?)

thanks in advance for the advice.

pc specks:

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper

Western Digital 640GB HD

ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 790FX Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

Radeon HD 4890

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 RAM

PLEXTOR 22X DVD Burner

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2

I'm pretty sure the person who told you that you can't do a scratch install is wrong. Just burn the installer to a disk and run it at boot up or use a USB (I think Windows Beta is done already, don't know if RC will work)

ok, i properly have to set the boot devise in the BIOS to my dvd drive. do i have to do anything to the iso to make it bootable or will the original iso be sufficient?

• Content Count:  1000

Cheap ass.

Not cheap, smart. I would never get Vista so close to the release of 7. Makes absolutely no sense.

Linux is an option.

• Content Count:  6084

Not cheap, smart. I would never get Vista so close to the release of 7. Makes absolutely no sense.

Linux is an option.

I know the guy in real life, and I was under the impression we were having a hardware failure when we were installing this on his new build until he came clean that he wasn't sure if it wouldn't work or not, seemed the disc wasn't booting.

I know the guy in real life, and I was under the impression we were having a hardware failure when we were installing this on his new build until he came clean that he wasn't sure if it wouldn't work or not, seemed the disc wasn't booting.

i think i fixed it. the iso was not installed correctly. i downloaded a new one and made a new disk.

if it works than great, if not then i just will have to make a run to wall-mart.

Reply to Thread