? servers

? players online

Random FPS drop

• Content Count:  2095

Lately (since I've downloaded and deleted L4D) I've had random FPS drops. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried deleting a shitload of stuff, including L4D. But I've never had this problem before.

It's been dropping from 50-100 to 10-30 every 5 or 10 seconds.

Thanks.

• Content Count:  1839

have you tried lowering the resolution? - Just a thought.

I always keep an eye on my CPU usage during a game too, because if the CPU gets overloaded (too many enemies or w/e on the screen at the same time) will force the fps to choke to all hell.

• Content Count:  3391

If you have nVidia, get nTune. It will allow you to monitor the temperatures of the video card. If you have dual monitors, place nTune on the second monitor and watch the temps as you play. I'm not sure the ATI utility is called as I haven't owned an ATI card in years.

Also, you should go to Guru3d.com and get their driver cleaner and latest drivers for your card. Uninstall your old drivers, reboot to safe mode, run the driver cleaner, and then reboot back into normal Windows and install the latest drivers.

Have you noticed this on several maps? Different games? Different servers? When was the last time you rebooted? How much RAM is being used when you launch CSS? You should also defrag your main hard drive as it could be causing caching issues.

• Content Count:  2095

have you tried lowering the resolution? - Just a thought.

I always keep an eye on my CPU usage during a game too, because if the CPU gets overloaded (too many enemies or w/e on the screen at the same time) will force the fps to choke to all hell.

I've had my settings maxed for the passed year without any troubles.

And it does seem whenever there's a lot of events or people in my direct view, I'll lag.

Not to mention I've ran Crysis on it a few months ago. (Low res, but it's still x10 better than CS:S)

Edit: Downloading Ntune now.

Edit2: I haven't rebooted in awhile; so I'll try that once Ntune is done. It doesn't matter what map I'm on, every 5-10 seconds it'll drop.

I have roughly 60-80% CPU usage, and I don't even have it opened.

Edited by SoulKeeper

• Content Count:  1300

within steam is the abiltiy to defragment game files , just right click on the game and go to properties, then check under the local content tab if memory serves. it should improve your gaming somewhat overall,

as far as fps drops that is alot to do with many factors, id suggest power cycling your modem and router and restarting your pc, then trying your games, i bet there will be some improvement. the longer stuff is on the more bits and pieces of data and old program traces pile up and slow crap down, restarting get s rid of that "debris"

• Content Count:  1839

I've had my settings maxed for the passed year without any troubles.

And it does seem whenever there's a lot of events or people in my direct view, I'll lag.

Not to mention I've ran Crysis on it a few months ago. (Low res, but it's still x10 better than CS:S)

Edit: Downloading Ntune now.

Edit2: I haven't rebooted in awhile; so I'll try that once Ntune is done. It doesn't matter what map I'm on, every 5-10 seconds it'll drop.

I have roughly 60-80% CPU usage, and I don't even have it opened.

holy FUCK. this is occuring and you didn't try seeing what was using that much percentage or restarting first?

Also, nTune works fine for the suggested purpose, but I cannot suggest using it for overclocking, as it is horrible to use when compared to rivatuner (which does the exact same stuff as nTune, including temp monitoring, and then some)

Reply to Thread