? servers

? players online

Hey guys i got a group for Facebook im going to HAITI please join

• Content Count:  5381

Just curious, when is the last time you checked? According to a UN Survey (Which you can find on many websites).

US is ranked 12th best to live in...

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/un-picks-best-and-wo-1122/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also... you say you want to help, help rebuild and all that... thats truly great and I wish you well with that... but, why are you requiring 100,000 people to join your blog? And for each 100.000 you'll stay a week longer?

I find it very sad, that your time spent there, is based upon people joining your facebook? It seems to me your seeking attention solely out of this, not the enjoyment of helping others.. but to benefit yourself, at least thats how i'm perceiving your text based upon all your responses to every post... I could be wrong, but thats how I view you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, your not even going yet... and do you really expect people to call missionaries for you to get you a spot?

LOLA.jpg

When your going for sure... let us know... not a *I might be going, just my facebook*.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QFT

You Missed the boat. Go back to page 5

• Content Count:  1120

I just got to say that you dont need medical training or military training for put bricks on top of each other!! Go to StudentInternational.com they send college/highschool student in different parts of the world all the time to help...whether its medical, construction, education...yeah if you study the field its better but if you dont who the hell cares!!!

I spent 2 weeks in Jarabacoa (DR irony) through this organization and we did a LOT in a town poorer than dirt! I worked construction cause I dont have medical, or teaching experience

Considering you worked construction, I highly doubt you meant to lead us to understand that you believe stacking bricks on top of one another is masonry. If you were merely talking about stacking bricks in a far off corner than doesn't involve people or really makes an inpact aside from moving one large pile to another area, then yes, one certainly doesn't need to be a professional and can fly halfway across the world to do it free.

This is merely to get some more information, but you mentioned that you have no medical or teaching experience, so I am curious to know if you had any real construction experience beforehand as well? Since you neglected to say anything about actually being licensed, I take it you aren't, correct?

There are poor and unfortunate people in every country and every major city across the globe. One of their stories could touch you just as much as the individual over in Haiti or Jarabacoa.

My point being, there are reasons for deciding to travel halfway across the world to help these particular people when most likely, the dying and dead can be found a mere couple hours drive from your current location.

There are reasons for which someone packs up and hauls their ass over to an impoverished country to subject themselves to atrocities that can scare them for life both mental and physical, and change their being right to the core..

It is the reasoning that makes an individual such as myself care and it is that reasoning that allows me to object.

You are right, "who the hell cares", who the hell should care? When you see someone care so much about their image, it is difficult to stomache and you have to wonder, why the hell is this person even going? Should they?

• Content Count:  3736

Considering you worked construction, I highly doubt you meant to lead us to understand that you believe stacking bricks on top of one another is masonry. If you were merely talking about stacking bricks in a far off corner than doesn't involve people or really makes an inpact aside from moving one large pile to another area, then yes, one certainly doesn't need to be a professional and can fly halfway across the world to do it free.

This is merely to get some more information, but you mentioned that you have no medical or teaching experience, so I am curious to know if you had any real construction experience beforehand as well? Since you neglected to say anything about actually being licensed, I take it you aren't, correct?

There are poor and unfortunate people in every country and every major city across the globe. One of their stories could touch you just as much as the individual over in Haiti or Jarabacoa.

My point being, there are reasons for deciding to travel halfway across the world to help these particular people when most likely, the dying and dead can be found a mere couple hours drive from your current location.

There are reasons for which someone packs up and hauls their ass over to an impoverished country to subject themselves to atrocities that can scare them for life both mental and physical, and change their being right to the core..

It is the reasoning that makes an individual such as myself care and it is that reasoning that allows me to object.

You are right, "who the hell cares", who the hell should care? When you see someone care so much about their image, it is difficult to stomache and you have to wonder, why the hell is this person even going? Should they?

Your right I have no masonry experience but with a little direction you can be very productive, for the other fields it might be more challenging..actually I do have some teaching experience but I figured Id leave that to the girls in the group. If you must know we restored a play ground, and started building some blind mans house.. We didnt have any bobcats so all from digging the foundations to doing the roof is done with pure man power. Compacting the ground was done with a handheld giant hammer looking thing. I was there for only 2 weeks nothing was there when I got there but when i left they were starting the roof

All travel expenses were donated by a large number of people!

I might not have built rome but what ever work I did, even though simple, would have had to be done no matter what maybe by someone with more experience that could have been doing something more important!

you'll realize that most projects are limited by either money or man power whether its specific skills or plain hard work. There is a right balance and it seems at the moment they are both lacking in Haiti

Anyway I was given the opportunity by my school and Student International to go there and thats why I went..Im not saying Im scared for life but I saw things there that I could have lived without. One example would be a drunk mother living in a sack with no water or electricity with a little girl sleeping on some foam soaked in urine... I still would go back if I could..

There are a lot of poor unfortunate people right here in west palm beach but they have much greater chance of getting better than the people over there for the simple fact that help is available here

BTW masonry with very limited tools and no machinery doesnt require you to be a savant

Edited by trakaill

• Content Count:  1120

Your right I have no masonry experience but with a little direction you can be very productive, for the other fields it might be more challenging..actually I do have some teaching experience but I figured Id leave that to the girls in the group. If you must know we restored a play ground, and started building some blind mans house.. We didnt have any bobcats so all from digging the foundations to doing the roof is done with pure man power. Compacting the ground was done with a handheld giant hammer looking thing. I was there for only 2 weeks nothing was there when I got there but when i left they were starting the roof

All travel expenses were donated by a large number of people!

I might not have built rome but what ever work I did, even though simple, would have had to be done no matter what maybe by someone with more experience that could have been doing something more important!

you'll realize that most projects are limited by either money or man power whether its specific skills or plain hard work. There is a right balance and it seems at the moment they are both lacking in Haiti

Anyway I was given the opportunity by my school and Student International to go there and thats why I went..Im not saying Im scared for life but I saw things there that I could have lived without. One example would be a drunk mother living in a sack with no water or electricity with a little girl sleeping on some foam soaked in urine... I still would go back if I could..

There are a lot of poor unfortunate people right here in west palm beach but they have much greater chance of getting better than the people over there for the simple fact that help is available here

BTW masonry with very limited tools and no machinery doesnt require you to be a savant

I know full well the inexperienced work in construction, masonry, simply because most hard trades require it. One simply cannot build a house form the foundation up simply by reading about it from a text book; they need on the job training to do so, progress, and become successful.

I was merely after some information and you supplied what was expected. I don't believe you were trying to defend yourself and you didn't have to either. It isn't that I will eventually realise, simply that I have already realised and have known.

It is true that circumstances need to be right in order to accomplish certain goals, and conditions must be met in order to find those circumstances. You didn't build Rome, you didn't even build a house either from what I see from your explanation, but you help and you did good.

You mentioned that everything was paid for? I am curious, how much do you think it cost for you to be sent there? Your plane ticket, the car that drove you to the destination, the food, water, housing, toiletries, possible clothing and or medical supplies, anything and everything that allowed you to stay for that 2 week period, then the plane ticket back? Combining it all, how much do you think that bill amounted to?

As I said, inexperienced individuals are necesarry to some degree, but I would rather have taken every cent that was given for you to go, and have sent it to help pay for a licensed individual to go in your stead, or to pay for someone already there to continue on.

That is just me and how I believe the money would have been better spent. Unlike bodies, transferring money is far less expensive to ship across seas.

You thoughts?

Edited by Elleon

• Content Count:  3736

You mentioned that everything was paid for? I am curious, how much do you think it cost for you to be sent there? Your plane ticket, the car that drove you to the destination, the food, water, housing, toiletries, possible clothing and or medical supplies, anything and everything that allowed you to stay for that 2 week period, then the plane ticket back? Combining it all, how much do you think that bill amounted to?

As I said, inexperienced individuals are necesarry to some degree, but I would rather have taken every cent that was given for you to go, and have sent it to help pay for a licensed individual to go in your stead, or to pay for someone already there to continue on.

That is just me and how I believe the money would have been better spent. Unlike bodies, transferring money is far less expensive to ship across seas.

You thoughts?

I very much understand your point and to an extent I agree. I believed I had to raise 1200 or 1500 dollars that included everything. (the money came from many friends of my family). If you paid someone to go it would have had to be at least double..and its harder to get money from friends for you own benefit

The thing is that most educated/trained American will not waste their time going there working for free, which I understand, why would anyone work for free, especially now... and this is really what it comes down too. That amount of money paid for expenses only (what ever you mentioned plane, food, etc) and yes this could have paid someone over there to do it unless nobody is there to be paid...I forgot the spanish name of the town but I remember it translated to "dead end"

Here just for the fun:

DSC01369.jpg

Putting steel reinforcement in the foundations

DSC01153.jpg

We finished digging that hole when I got there

DSC01349.jpg

once we had some blocks in we put some dirt come it..the rest was disposed of..im the guy with blue shorts

DR2006part2025.jpg

this machine was pretty awesome but violent..

I dont have pics of the end but it was pretty much to the top ready for the roof

We did have a couple guys that knew a lot about construction, Im good with math and Im observant.. I learned a lot when i was there..

Student International organizes these missions..so flash you might want to see if they have anything to haiti in a near future http://www.stint.com/ Its a Christian team

Also we brought with us a lot of things for donation (2 bags per person allowed for travel, one was all donation for every person)..and I donated all my clothes before I left because it was mostly things I didnt wear anymore

Edited by trakaill

Reply to Thread