? servers

? players online

Is PC gaming DEAD?

• Content Count:  111

Looking into articles like the latest interview with Tim Sweeney, it seems more developers are voicing their anger over certain things that PC lack.

Is PC gaming dead? Who's reinforcing the PC versus the console?

Personally I believe MS has been very halfhearted about games in the past 2 years when it comes to the PC. It seems there are more and more and more halfassed (half-assed?) ideas that only penalize PC gamers out there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Content Count:  6559

PC gaming is not dead.

Quality over quantity.

The fact is PC gamers play fewer games, but play those few games religiously and repeatedly, something Consoles don't do.

Look at us, we're playing something that originally came out in the late 90's and even the current version came out years ago.

Koreans still play the crap out of Starcraft 1, just wait until Starcraft 2 comes out. PC games aren't dead.

PC game makers just choose their projects more carefully. Like wise PC Gamers choose their games more carefully because we want something with high replay value.

• Content Count:  3440

PC gaming is not dead.

Quality over quantity.

The fact is PC gamers play fewer games, but play those few games religiously and repeatedly, something Consoles don't do.

Look at us, we're playing something that originally came out in the late 90's and even the current version came out years ago.

Koreans still play the crap out of Starcraft 1, just wait until Starcraft 2 comes out. PC games aren't dead.

PC game makers just choose their projects more carefully. Like wise PC Gamers choose their games more carefully because we want something with high replay value.

Amen!

• Content Count:  935

Also, adding onto red's post, consoles have to be remade every 1-2 years to keep up with current technology,

On the other hand, a quick trip to the hardware store one weekend will keep the PC gamer advanced

• Content Count:  111

(Playing the devils advocate here) What Red says is all true however, look at it from a Developers standpoint. They either create a game that has to scale to all kinds of hardware configurations, something that console devs do not really have to worry about.

Plus, those companies concerned about piracy might go for a console simply because its easier to pirate a PC game than a console one. Modding your console vs downloading a crack after your gotten the game via bit-torrent.

(Playing the devils advocate here) What Red says is all true however, look at it from a Developers standpoint. They either create a game that has to scale to all kinds of hardware configurations, something that console devs do not really have to worry about.

Plus, those companies concerned about piracy might go for a console simply because its easier to pirate a PC game than a console one. Modding your console vs downloading a crack after your gotten the game via bit-torrent.

Yes the console is easier to prevent software piracy.. but look at systems like Steam.. yes you can still pirate.. but online registration prior to playing makes it alot harder..

Also Console developers if they want to sell huge amounts of a specific title have to develope for more than one of the major consoles and are still dealing with multiple sets of hardware.. not nearly as many configurations.. true.. but still deal with more than one platform.

• Content Count:  2936

Ill say this:

PC Gaming will likely never die because the configuration allows for constantly advancing possibilities on multiple fronts, and frequently... its not just "ooh, prettier" but wow better AI, wow nice pixel shaders, wow nice etc.

the actual dimension of gaming is stretched and defined on PC, THEN console devs come around and play catch up, then the PC leapfrog's again.

If I put a 8800 GTX on my computer, it would roughly be a PS3 IN My computer, in addition to the rest of the computer activities it does.

I think that the interplayability of games (I can PC game on halo, something allegedly exclusive to the Xbox) and the sheer scope and variety of games (RTS, RTT, etc) will keep PC gaming alive for quite a bit longer.

Strictly from the financial viewpoint as well.. People need computers.. for Work, school, etc. Gaming on them is just a bonus.. People don't need consoles.. I've gone years at a stretch without so much as touching one.. that's not to say that I don't own one now.. but given that alot of people can't afford both most of them would opt for a PC and game on it.. rather than purchase a console and try to use it for other computing activities.

• Content Count:  167

^^^^ That's the 100% truth.

One of the funniest articles/videos I've ever read/watched was from a guy who was playing (I think) Shadowrun on his PC. If you don't know, Shadowrun is for both Xbox360 and PC and you can play across the different systems. Basically it was all these video clips of how slowly people turn with a game controller as opposed to the quick flick of a wrist turn around with a mouse. Its basically just hundreds of people yelling about him being a hacker and so on, and him talking trash about how consoles suck compared to PCs, but it was well written and well edited. I'll try and see if I can find it again.

Reply to Thread