? servers

? players online

Attention Community.

• Content Count:  11501

I've always wanted to ask a deaf person this, but I never really got the chance (go figure)...but do you hear a constant ringing in your ear? Or is it just nothing?

• Content Count:  3697

I wouldn't mind being deaf for a day. (Not to say you have it easy or anything, obviously being deaf sucks, but I would like to put myself in your shoes to see how hard it really is)

My mom taught sunday school to deaf children when she was my age/a little older, and she told me about this little girl who would get upset, say "Im not listening" And close her eyes.. What do you do with that? Lol.

I have two questions for you:

1. Do you know if your speech is deteriorating? If I hear deaf people talk, they are understandable, but usually speak very differently, I'm assuming because they can't hear themselves to correct it. (Sounds lisp-like)

2. Can you read lips? If so how well? Can you only really communicate with people who know sign language, or through written things? Or can you read their lips to see what they say, and then respond (Since you weren't born deaf, you probably know how to talk) normally?

• Content Count:  1845

Actually, the solution should be available in the States sometime next year, hopefully. There are already places around the world that have Adult Stem cell surgeries for Autoimmune diseases. What they would do is they extract Adult Stem cells from inside my Bone Marrow, then they insert it into my inner ear tissue and the Adult Stem cells rapidly repair it, presto, i have perfect hearing again for 10 years or so, then i'd need to get the surgery again.

What i miss most is obviously no longer being able to hear people and having an easy conversation with others, or being able to listen to music. Going to the movies suck now cause i cant hear anything and miss out on the whole plot to movies.

anime subs! become an otaku!

• Content Count:  1082

I wouldn't mind being deaf for a day. (Not to say you have it easy or anything, obviously being deaf sucks, but I would like to put myself in your shoes to see how hard it really is)

My mom taught sunday school to deaf children when she was my age/a little older, and she told me about this little girl who would get upset, say "Im not listening" And close her eyes.. What do you do with that? Lol.

I have two questions for you:

1. Do you know if your speech is deteriorating? If I hear deaf people talk, they are understandable, but usually speak very differently, I'm assuming because they can't hear themselves to correct it. (Sounds lisp-like)

2. Can you read lips? If so how well? Can you only really communicate with people who know sign language, or through written things? Or can you read their lips to see what they say, and then respond (Since you weren't born deaf, you probably know how to talk) normally?

1. My speech is perfectly fine as far as i know, everyone can understand me. The only time ill have trouble pronouncing a word is if i never heard that word back when i could hear. Takes me a bit to get the pronouncing down but i get it after saying it correctly a few times.

2. Reading lips is hard, in fact, a scientific study found out that only 30% of the English language could be lip read. I can read lips pretty well, so long as people talk normally. If you talk slowly, you make it a pain in the ass to read lips. I can communicate with hearing people via voice, but they will have to sometimes write down what they are saying. I took some ASL classes in High School, but I've forgotten most of it.

My teacher would go batshit if she found out that the only Deaf student she ever had in class had forgotten ASL.

Edit: And to answer Neji question, how i play CSS... i simply depend on my vision.

• Like 1
Edited by Ultramarine

• Content Count:  3697

1. My speech is perfectly fine as far as i know, everyone can understand me. The only time ill have trouble pronouncing a word is if i never heard that word back when i could hear. Takes me a bit to get the pronouncing down but i get it after saying it correctly a few times.

2. Reading lips is hard, in fact, a scientific study found out that only 30% of the English language could be lip read. I can read lips pretty well, so long as people talk normally. If you talk slowly, you make it a pain in the ass to read lips. I can communicate with hearing people via voice, but they will have to sometimes write down what they are saying. I took some ASL classes in High School, but I've forgotten most of it.

My teacher would go batshit if she found out that the only Deaf student she ever had in class had forgotten ASL.

Edit: And to answer Neji question, how i play CSS... i simply depend on my vision.

You don't know asl? So the only way you can communicate with people is to talk to them, and have them write down their responses?

"Edit: And to answer Neji question, how i play CSS... i simply depend on my vision."

You and I both :\ I play just as bad with nosound, as with sound.

Reply to Thread