? servers

? players online

sins of a solar empire

• Content Count:  1938

Also Legal i'm not sure bout how long you've been playing, but are you currently using a mod? Or do you know which one provides proper balanced gameplay. Out of habit, the first thing I tend to do when getting a good game such as this is to check out the community mods. There is almost always a mod that balances game play and tweaks values and gaps that the Devs forgot.

• Content Count:  4473

Yeah, that's what I do with the TW games. I get the mods that make it more realistic asap. I'm sure some guy out there mad one already. Probably already have new skins or ship designs or whatever...those fanatics never sleep

• Content Count:  2936

slav, Ive had the game maybe 2 weeks, and played it about 13 hours collectively within the first 2 days of spring break. Its like crack. I play vanilla, original, no mods yet. I like to play TEC, which was one big map the first time around, the advent are okay, but a little too "trade retarded" for my style of playing (economic build, then rape-age).

As soon as I can complete this BS paper, and get this last month of law school done. I'd be more than happy to play a 5 hour multistar map with you kids. For that matter, chip in a game of Sup com if you all have it.

I WOULD however, be predisposed to play a game of company of heroes as its shorter, or Dawn of War DC, SS, whenever, within reason.

Anyone a fan of Coh?

Edited by LegalSmash

• Content Count:  670

CoH is alright, but the multiplayer is kinda boring IMO. If I still had Dawn of War I'd love to play that, me and a few friends used to have epic comp stomp games with the AI mods that made them brutally efficient, they'd last 3+ hours at a time. Still have to get SupComm, but I'm running out of money and there's no work to be found here so I have to wait for summer when I go back to NY.

I don't think a single-star map would take that long, 3-4 hours maybe with 4 players. Would depend on how good everyone is I guess (and if you can use time compression in multiplayer), but if worse comes to worst we can always save it and pick up again later.

If you like building up massive economies then you should try Vasari. They get the most bonuses to crystal/metal production and their scouts are the units that capture neutral refineries, so you can get out there and grab them very quickly and then just sell your resources on the black market for credits. Their units are also the most powerful statswise, although they tend to be more expensive. I think they also have the most bonuses to hull regen and their carriers have a badass ability that repairs a substantial amount of hull to all friendly ships in a small radius. I still have to play them more but I think they're gonna be my new favorite race. If you end up sticking with TEC, all you have to do is build masses of LRM frigates and you win.

Also, the damage values listed in the game tooltips are NOT the values used for damage calculations, so you might wanna look around for a player-made chart that lists actual values. If you go on the forums I think there's a sticky in the strategy sectiom that has a bunch of them...look for one that's hosted on Google Spreadsheets, it's the most accurate one.

*E* If any of you use xfire add me on there, it supports sins now...name is just captaincolon

Edited by Captain Colon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PERFECT RECORD IS RUINED

http://www.offtopicbutts.com/ohshi.jpg

I wasn't playing with locked teams or anything though and the diplomacy AI is really fucking ridiculous...the map started with 4v4 but one of my allies kept canceling our treaties even though we had 90% relations. He just happened to be the guy in the corner of the map that was in the only position to poke at the enemy too, all my other allies were stuck in the corner with me. Pings appear to be totally useless to AI teammates and they just go wherever. My favorite is when they say "I'M HERE TO HELP" and you go "yay" and then notice they sent you a single frigate that immediately jumps out.

I love these tiny maps though...25 planets on one star with 8 players is the way to go.

Edited by Captain Colon

• Content Count:  1938

@Legal, yea thats cool man, i've got a research paper due at the end of next month anyways that I am going to be working on.

@Colon, lolz. The only problem I have with this game is the fact that it is much more effective to play in the further zoomed out zooms. I like to watch all the pretty graphics : ), but that tends to take time away from building and expanding.

I've got a lot of nice close-up screens but fucking ACDSee decided to stop working for no reason so I have no way to batch convert them, since the developers decided to not make the game just save a fucking jpeg instead of a bmp.

Reply to Thread