? servers

? players online

sins of a solar empire

• Content Count:  602

I got it. I played the first, simplest single player scenario thing and I have been at it for a good seven hours already. The game is definitely very well put together. Seems like such a waste there is no real single player campaign...

• Content Count:  2936

^ word. I've been on a custom map, 10 player (4 stars like 111 planets) for the past 4 days. expand, build, repeat. Battles are pretty cool.

What faction does everyone play?

I am trying to learn the TEC.

• Content Count:  1938

meh i play moo3. And by play, I mean play barely lol. idk both moo3 and soase(??) are well put together, but i can never play a full game out.

Still having a hard time playing a total war medieval 2 game out fully

• Content Count:  602

okay, i like TEC. I am having trouble on the larger maps... this game is way too slow also. If the game speed was twice as fast I could play just as well, but instead i spend half my time panning and zooming to get cool views while I wait to earn enough credits or iron or crystal to do something. I love the design, but I don't see much actual strategy. The biggest strategy is choosing what planet to colonize next, beyond that it is just a choice of tech, ships or planet development.

• Content Count:  39

I am having trouble on the larger maps... this game is way too slow also.

The game really isn't geared towards fast paced action. If you're looking for something like that, play the Command and Conquer Series, Warcraft series, Starcraft, etc..

After playing this game for a few weeks, I've found that I can become so immersed into it, that I can be playing for 10 hours straight, and not even realize it. It may take a REALLY long time to accomplish anything, but it's very rewarding when you finally do.

In terms of the races, I find TEC to be easy-mode, Vasari tend to have better technology, and the Advent have some really spectacular defensive abilities. Personally, I haven't stuck to any one race as I've been trying to find the strengths and weaknesses of each, and use them to my advantage.

Also, some of the battles you can face are by far some of the BEST I've ever seen. Several hundred ships facing off against each other is a sight to behold.

All in all, I'd say, if you're looking for a fast paced game, where the objective is to just rush the enemy, you want to stay away from this game. But if you're looking for a more an economic game that eventually leads to massive battles, however long that may take, this is your game.

• Content Count:  670

I'm sticking with TEC for now since I'm still learning the ins-and-outs and coming up with general strategies that I can hopefully apply to all the factions, but from what I've seen of the other races they'll probably end up being my favorite. I'm betting a good rush strategy will give you a big early advantage even if you don't capture anything, unlike a lot of games where an early rush puts you in a pretty desperate situation if you don't completely wreck the guy.

The thing I hate about large maps is there's just so many factions and you start out at war with 0% relations with all of them, so you usually just end up getting gang raped in multiple holes before you can get enough standing with a faction to get any allies. Slavic, it's funny you should mention M2 cause I usually end up with the same problems in both games; I'll be happily stomping all over one guy and then someone else (who isn't even allied with my current enemy) will pop out of nowhere and start whittling away at me. Fucking Holy Roman Empire...it's not like I'll be even close to losing but you just get locked up in huge battles over one or two territories where both sides have enough resources to last forever and it just stops being fun when everything grinds to a halt like that. In Sins on smaller maps I don't have this problem, when I get back to school and can play it again I'm gonna try a big map with less players and see how that goes, hopefully by the time anyone makes contact we'll be built up enough to have some epic battles.

okay, i like TEC. I am having trouble on the larger maps... this game is way too slow also. If the game speed was twice as fast I could play just as well, but instead i spend half my time panning and zooming to get cool views while I wait to earn enough credits or iron or crystal to do something. I love the design, but I don't see much actual strategy. The biggest strategy is choosing what planet to colonize next, beyond that it is just a choice of tech, ships or planet development.

That's like saying "civilization doesn't really have any actual strategy...it's just choice of tech, units or city development" :p I think all the units are pretty nicely balanced so it rocks to find someone who built nothing but carriers (which rape pretty hard) and just wipe out all his bombers with flak frigates. It's also rare to find a game where you can completely turn the battle around with just one or two support units, which is awesome.

And you know you can use up to 8x time compression right? :o In 1v1 games the pace can be slow, especially at the start, but in bigger games you'll really appreciate it, it's just right to be able to manage multiple fleets on opposite ends of the system. One thing I'd really love to see is the ability to intercept fleets between planets though. And a little more variety in planet defenses with more varied strengths and weaknesses, building 2-4 repair platforms and having 20-something gauss cannons around them takes a LONG-ass time to break through, even with multiple capital ships. It's a great game for players who like to turtle, for sure :d

Edited by Captain Colon

Reply to Thread