? servers

? players online

English Spelling Reform

• Content Count:  1079

I've created a blog that I may or may not abandon. I plan to use it as a center for my many idea of reforming English spelling.

Please read this first post of the blog (link below) and share your thoughts.

I am looking for serious answers and serious discussions. Please no trolling, derailing, "tldr", or anything of that nature. If this is beyond your intellectual capacity, beyond your care, or beyond your maturity, don't bother to reply to either this forum post or the blog post.

http://diacriticalproposal.blogspot.com/2010/10/basic-basics.html

Much appreciated!

Edited by Chêvouÿx

• Content Count:  6466

I see your intention, but a full official reform of English would not only make it ever more difficult to learn the changes, but the nations who speak it already will have to re-learn it.

A change so large would have a much greater effect, even though it's simply changing the text rather than how the words are pronounced or their meaning (as far as I can understand from what you said), as it would hamper many things beyond just classroom teachings and English homework.

It's not so easy to just change the way of spelling/language as it might have been back in Shakespeare days.

• Content Count:  8383

The english language is hard enough to learn for anyone (Even to those who grow up learning it), I dont think a reform of it would even be considered by anyone high enough to make it matter in the world today.

I see your intention, but a full official reform of English would not only make it ever more difficult to learn the changes, but the nations who speak it already will have to re-learn it.

A change so large would have a much greater effect, even though it's simply changing the text rather than how the words are pronounced or their meaning (as far as I can understand from what you said), as it would hamper many things beyond just classroom teachings and English homework.

It's not so easy to just change the way of spelling/language as it might have been back in Shakespeare days.

I fully understand that such a change would be drastic, and there obviously would need to be a good implemented plan so that the older generations are educated with the generation that'd grow up with the change; just look at the implementation and aftermath of the German spelling changes in the 1990s (despite the fact that those changes were less "extreme"). But, really, I must ask: how would it be difficult to learn the phonetic values of each letter and then to simply apply those to your daily life? If one learns which means what and why, then things won't be as difficult—unless people are simply afraid of change as they usually are.

The english language is hard enough to learn for anyone (Even to those who grow up learning it), I dont think a reform of it would even be considered by anyone high enough to make it matter in the world today.

Did you even read the blog post? :p

Edited by Chêvouÿx

• Content Count:  3697

Halfway through part 1 "....a spelling bee is legitimate because it's well know that English is an....".

It's well knowN. Will edit when I read more lol.

And the end of part 1 ".../editors not so challenge."

ChallengeD?

I read it, and I don't know what to say.

I don't like the idea, but I can see how it could be good.

Evenchully no1 wll know hw to spll newayz so hoo carez.

Edited by Bob Loblaw

I read it, and I don't know what to say.

I don't like the idea, but I can see how it could be good.

Evenchully no1 wll know hw to spll newayz so hoo carez.

Why don't you like the idea? Tell me/us. Share your criticisms or thoughts.

Frankly, I really do want to get an open discussion going, especially since forums are generally meant for that.

Also:

Ðàt is sùc a pesimistik vū av sosīetē. Yu jůd hàv mor fāð; ðer ar pēpl hu àktualē cār abaut gůd orðagrafē. :thumb:

• Content Count:  228

Good idea for the future generations but for now I don't think that is going to work I am learning english because I am a spanish speaker and what I saw on my school some people got it really fast but some doesn't. My point here is for people who are learning the lenguage will have to start learning from 0 but like I said it is a good idea for the futures generations maybe they will have new methods to learn the lenguage faster than now.

p.s: SPANISH RULES :d

• Content Count:  1324

Ðàt is sùc a pesimistik vū av sosīetē. Yu jůd hàv mor fāð; ðer ar pēpl hu àktualē cār abaut gůd orðagrafē. :thumb:

If this is how it's going to look.

No.

Reply to Thread