? servers

? players online

My computer isnt getting along with Bioshock

• Content Count:  143

I got bioshock yesterday and since then, i have played it once, i played through the first part, where the plane crashes and you enter the city... Its a little laggy on medium graphics (which looks like shit btw) and really laggy on high... My computer is pretty strong, 3 gigs of RAM, nvidia 8400 geforce, quad core... It shoudlnt be laggy AT ALL on medium and no where near as laggy on high if you ask me... The bigger problem is i waited 10 mins for the second map to load and i just stopped playing it there...

whats bioshock like your guys' computers? getting similar problems?

• Content Count:  1230

I got bioshock yesterday and since then, i have played it once, i played through the first part, where the plane crashes and you enter the city... Its a little laggy on medium graphics (which looks like shit btw) and really laggy on high... My computer is pretty strong, 3 gigs of RAM, nvidia 8400 geforce, quad core... It shoudlnt be laggy AT ALL on medium and no where near as laggy on high if you ask me... The bigger problem is i waited 10 mins for the second map to load and i just stopped playing it there...

whats bioshock like your guys' computers? getting similar problems?

There's your problem. You're trying to run BioShock with an insufficient video card. Just because it's a current generation card doesn't mean it can handle it. The minimum requirement for BioShock is a NVIDIA 6600, which even though it's 3 generations old it was built for gaming not High Definition movie watching like the 8400. 6600 > 8400

8400GS

Manufacturer: nVidia

Series: GeForce 8

GPU: G86

Interface: PCI-E x16

Memory Interface: 64-bit

Core Clock: 450 MHz

Memory Clock: 400 MHz (800 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 6.4 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 7200 Operations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 3600 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 3600 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: 1800 MVertices/sec

6600GT

Manufacturer: nVidia

Series: GeForce 6

GPU: NV43

Interface: PCI-E x16

Memory Interface: 128-bit

Core Clock: 500 MHz

Memory Clock: 500 MHz (1000 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 4000 Operations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 2000 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 4000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: 375 MVertices/sec

Do yourself a favor and invest in a minimal 8600GT for $90 or spend a little more on a faster 8800GS for about $100 after rebate.

• Content Count:  1230

It's not the drivers. The card just wasn't meant for gaming. Yes, it will produce a better image than the 6600 due to an increase shader operations and pixel fill rate, but the memory & memory speed on the 8400 is lacking. As soon as you get into action the memory becomes overloaded and thats why it starts to lock up. The 8400 was made for media not games. It will handle less intensive games like CS:S, but BioShock is no walk in the park. Trying to run a $30 game with a $20 card is not a good idea.

Reply to Thread