? servers

? players online

Crysis 2 Leaked

• Content Count:  920

Life isn't fair.

You're proposing a hyperbolic scenario which is likely to never exist. The amount of pirates will never exceed the amount of people who 'legitimately' purchase a video game.

The video game industry/pirate relationship can be seen as commensalism. In biology this is a "relationship between two organisms where one organism benefits but the other is neutral (there is no harm or benefit)."

Like hell it's commensalism. The company is hurt because they lose potential profits. The pirate/developer relationship can be seen as parasitism rather. Company loses profits, pirates get a free game. Also, so just because "Life isn't fair" gives you the right to steal profits from people who work hard to make games?

• Content Count:  2034

Also, Jazzy has a point. Visceral Games isn't as big as EA. They don't make the same profits. So you can still pirate Dead Space 2, right? What about all those small company indie companies. I'm sure it's okay to pirate from them even though they're still starting out.

That's called capitalism, welcome to the world. If your game doesn't have a big enough draw to warrant a sizable profit margin from "legitimate" consumers then you don't have a successful game to base a business model on.

• Content Count:  1844

Okay, so how come most people have to pay for the game, but the pirates don't. And don't say, "Oh, well everyone else can pirate it too." because if everyone pirated the damn game, there wouldn't be a profit.

How is it fair that you get Crysis 2 for free, and I don't?

people can pirate it themselves, they dont need my permission

That's called capitalism, welcome to the world. If your game doesn't have a big enough draw to warrant a sizable profit margin from "legitimate" consumers then you don't have a successful game to base a business model on.

Well maybe the game would be successful if assholes like you didn't steal profits from the company in the first place.

• Content Count:  4123

Stealing involves you taking something from another person without permission. Last time I checked, they still have their game. Just sayin'.

That is a ignorant statement, devs and gamers loose out in the end.

• Content Count:  2034

Like hell it's commensalism. The company is hurt because they lose potential profits. The pirate/developer relationship can be seen as parasitism rather. Company loses profits, pirates get a free game. Also, so just because "Life isn't fair" gives you the right to steal profits from people who work hard to make games?

Listen to me carefully.

Someone who does not have the economic means to purchase a video game is never going to buy the game legitimately regardless of whether the game is available for free on a pirate website. This "lost profit" argument is bullshit in and of itself. If someone is unable to buy a game because they don't have money for it and thus turn to pirating it is not lost profits. You must have A) A willing and B) ABLE consumers to purchase your video game.

You want a personal anecdote? I'm a broke college student who just torrented Mafia II. Regardless of its lack of replay value (ensuring I wouldn't buy it legitimately) I do not have the economic means (67 cents in my checking account) to purchase Mafia II. Was I ever going to buy the game? No. It's not lost profit if I was never going to purchase it to begin with.

Listen to me carefully.

Someone who does not have the economic means to purchase a video game is never going to buy the game legitimately regardless of whether the game is available for free on a pirate website. This "lost profit" argument is bullshit in and of itself. If someone is unable to buy a game because they don't have money for it and thus turn to pirating it is not lost profits. You must have A) A willing and B) ABLE consumer to purchase your video game.

You want a personal anecdote? I'm a broke college student who just torrented Mafia II. Regardless of its lack of replay value (ensuring I wouldn't buy it legitimately) I do not have the economic means (67 cents in my checking account) to purchase Mafia II. Was I ever going to buy the game? No. It's not lost profit if I was never going to purchase it to begin with.

How about you wait till you get a job, get out of college, and MAKE the means to actually get the damn game. Games are a luxury, not a necessity. If you can't afford it, then don't fucking get the game.

Reply to Thread